Need more wireless range

jeffw_00

My brother and sister-in-law just added a floor to their (formerly ranch) house. Neither one is technically adept. They have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router on the lower floor which they can't/won't move (requires wiring, which they don't like to do, which also rules out a 2nd, better-located router). The have multiple roving laptops. One option is the Linksys WRE54G Wireless Repeater, but I've seen mixed reviews on both ease-of-use and actual usefulness. I saw a suggestion somewhere that you can make any wireless router into a repeater by not connecting the LAN and setting the address of the other wireless router (the one connected to the WAN) as a gateway? (again, may be too tricky for them to do). Is it possible that their router, which is several years old, (albeit G), would benefit from a replacement? I'm really happy with myTP-LINK TL-WR541G IEEE 802.11b/g eXtended Range 54M Wireless Router ($30 @newegg) But I don't know if a replacement will do them any good.Their current unit doesn't let them replace/extend the antennasWhat's a newbie to do?THANKS!/j

Thanks - but I'm trying to find a solution that affects only the router. I know that if I replace everything with N it will work better (duh) 8-}.

There is an after market firmware available for the WRT54G routers.One of the additional functions is the ability to increase the Wi-Fi transmit/reciever power.Be aware that increasing power increases heat.I believe the default power settings with the OEM firmware is around 50%.see this article for more about the Tomato firmware.This only works for versions of this router upm to Wrt54G v4 and WRT54GLAny machine newer uses propritary firmware that is not linux based and can't be used with Tomato.http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-...ter-with-tomatoShort of buying a N router as regexorcist suggested this might ben your only option.BTW, please try to be more civil in the future (less sarcasm), we answer questions here because we want to not because we have to.The version number can be found on a sticker under the router.Eg: WRT54GL v.1.1 on my router. This is the same sticker with the S/N and MAC address.BTW, the WRT54G does have replaceable antennas, you just grab them at the base and unscrew counter clockwise

Edited by Frank Golden

no offense Frank, but I've been posting here for many many years, and as always, there was no intended sarcasm in my email, as (I thought) was clearly denoted by the smiley face. Sorry you took it that way. The answer wasn't on-point to my question, and I was trying to inject some humor... (sigh)I'll look into your hack, thanks! but again, it may not be for my non-techie relatives. What interests me more is your comment about the removable antennas - is there any sort of an upgrade available that's worth a darn (or even one on a wire they can attach to the ceiling?)Thanks/j

Edited by jeffw_00

Guest LilBambi
My brother and sister-in-law just added a floor to their (formerly ranch) house. Neither one is technically adept. They have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router on the lower floor which they can't/won't move (requires wiring, which they don't like to do, which also rules out a 2nd, better-located router). The have multiple roving laptops. One option is the Linksys WRE54G Wireless Repeater, but I've seen mixed reviews on both ease-of-use and actual usefulness. I saw a suggestion somewhere that you can make any wireless router into a repeater by not connecting the LAN and setting the address of the other wireless router (the one connected to the WAN) as a gateway? (again, may be too tricky for them to do). Is it possible that their router, which is several years old, (albeit G), would benefit from a replacement? I'm really happy with myTP-LINK TL-WR541G IEEE 802.11b/g eXtended Range 54M Wireless Router ($30 @newegg) But I don't know if a replacement will do them any good.Their current unit doesn't let them replace/extend the antennasWhat's a newbie to do?THANKS!/j
That Linksys WRE54G Wireless Repeater works great in the situations I have used it. The only thing you have to know about it, from the times I have used them, is to plug it in near the router FIRST before plugging it into an outlet elsewhere so it gets your router with no confusion.

The real problem is that there are too many things to do and it's difficult to judge which is best without more information. What I would do is get a USB adapter for the laptop that has a removable antenna. Then, with the original antenna, run NetStumbler on the latrop and carry it around the house to see where you get any signal. If you can get even a weak signal upstairs, then replacing the antenna that came with the adapter with a high gain antenna, might do the trickBut if there isn't at least a weak signal, a high gain antenna probably won't help. If they added a second story, there is a chance there was insulation in the original ceiling that had foil backing. That's a real signal stopper. If that is the case, then running a least a single cat5e cable to the upstairs, and putting a wireless router up there, will be the only solution.edit: I doubt seriously if a new router would help. Edited by lewmur

Thanks Lewmur. There's no foil between the levels, but trust me that sending my brother around the house to sense signal won't end well 8-}, and there are multiple laptops to buy antennas for (I'd be better switching to N). Maybe I'll take Bambi's suggestion and start with the wireless repeater, that's the type of solution they want, and they can be had (refurbished) for $35 on newegg.If it was me, I would have already run the Cat5 to the attic (sigh)/j

Thanks Lewmur. There's no foil between the levels, but trust me that sending my brother around the house to sense signal won't end well 8-}, and there are multiple laptops to buy antennas for (I'd be better switching to N). Maybe I'll take Bambi's suggestion and start with the wireless repeater, that's the type of solution they want, and they can be had (refurbished) for $35 on newegg.If it was me, I would have already run the Cat5 to the attic (sigh)/j
How are you even going to find where to put the repeater without using something like NetStumbler? :'(

actually - that's easy. Usage in the house is clustered in 2 places. the current unit is near one of the places. I owuld put the other one near the other cluster 8-}thanks - they're 3hrs away from me, otherwise, as I said, I would have already run the wire 8-{

The 2nd router (the one you want to use as secondary switch/access point) must have a unique IP address (within the DHCP server range in the 1st router). DHCP (and others that are enabled in the 1st router) must be disabled on the 2nd router. Connect to one of the switch ports on the 1st router using a crossover cable.The gateway is the IP address of the 1st router.Good luck.

Edited by b2cm

Try this high gain antennahttp://www.amazon.com/802-11g-9dBi-OMNI-Di...s/dp/B002DGE62MYou would probably need two one for transmit and the other for recieve.I don't have any experience with this but at $8.79 per it's worth a try.The info from maker claims 300% improvement.BTW, G wi-fi has a theoretical range of 100 yards unimpeded.Just how far away is you brother planning to use wi-fi?Is their house that big? :'(

Edited by Frank Golden

Linksys WRT54G wireless router on the lower floor which they can't/won't move (requires wiring,
...I don't understand what sort of wiring is needed to move a router. The router should be located as high as possible so it makes more sense to move it and the cable modem to the 2nd floor. You need one cable jack and two power outlets to relocate the cable modem and the router. They will find they have coverage upstairs and since the router is higher, the computer(s) on the first floor should still be able to connect.My house doesn't have cable jacks because of its age but since the addition is new, I'd be very surprised that no cable jacks were installed.Unplug the cable modem and the power plug, move it up one floor. Plug in the cable then the power cord. For the moment, hard wire (cat) a laptop to it and it should work. Next unplug the router, move it upstairs, use the cat cable to the modem and plug in the power. At least it is something that is easily tested without buying any new equipment or risk bricking a router by adding 3rd party firmware (which might not even work depending on the version of router.This page explains why some WRT54G routers can have the antennas replaced and firmware installed while other models can not.http://binarywolf.com/249/wrt54g-hacks.htmJust a note: my WRT54G is on the first floor of a ranch home. My husband's computers are at least 75 feet away in the basement using linksys wifi dongles and he is able to use wireless. This is probably because his computers are below the router.My version, I could replace the antennas and install 3rd party firmware though I have done neither. Edited by zlim

There are no cable or network jacks on the new upper floor.
WOW, that was not a cool move!Our home was built in the 50's - pre-cable days so it is understandable why we have no new type phone jacks and no cable jacks. The previous owners had 3 tvs and cable wire was pulled through a hole in the floor and then connected to the tv. We let it the way it was. However, when I wanted to go broadband, my computer room which is also a spare bedroom didn't even have the old style phone plug like the other rooms. I hired an electrician to install a cable jack and a phone jack in the plaster wall. I made sure he did not split the cable wire coming to this room because I wanted it used for internet. I can see you have your work cut out for you! I don't envy you trying to come up with a solution simply because a cable jack wasn't installed.

Yeah - as I said - I lost that battle 8-{my house was built in 1960 and 1st thing I did when I moved in was identify a "runway" that would let me pull wires across the house - then I bundled up a bunch of wires and pulled them through - putting phone and (unfortunately) RG-59 (obsolete now) in every room. Since then I've used the same 'runway' to pull cat-5 cables to everywhere I needed. /j