iPad

Peachy

V.T. Eric Layton

*yawn* I'm waiting for the new Apple device for people with urinary problems. It's called... you ready for this?...the iPeed. Or the device for constipated people... the iPooped.OK, how 'bout the device for lonely people... the iPal.HAHAHA! I kill me! :thumbsup:

I'd be willing to trade my Lenovo T400 Thinkpad for an iPad. If it can run the rest of my business software it would make it a lot easier to have a PC out in the field. Only trouble I see so far is my Pantech 5750 EVDO PC-Card modem is as thick as the iPad is and I'd need to figure out how to use drive encryption on it.

Well, the iPad will be running iPhone OS 4.0 so unless there's something in the App Store for you I'd give it a pass. Basically it's a console. An iPod Touch on steroids. It's a consumption device not a creation tool. But, I think what Apple really hopes this tablet will do is dominate the ebook market with the iBook Store. The real target of Apple's thrust is Amazon and the Kindle.

I'm a cheapskate (extraordinaire). I'll stick to my eeepc at a bit under 9" by 6 1/2" by maybe 1 3/4" and weighing 2 pounds and with no monthly fee. If I travel, I'll hope to find the free hotspots (now with McDonald's offering free at many locations, that will be easier).I'm sure Apple will sell a lot of these without my participation. :hysterical:As usual, Apple puts out a cool looking piece of hardware.

I was surprised to see a fair amount of negative press:The Problem with the Apple iPad - apple ipad - Lifehacker Analysis: iPad Is an iDRM Storefront For Apple Ambitions To Dominate All Digital Media Sales - SVWThe Case against the iPad « Bottom-upIf I were in a position to purchase an ebook reader, I'd be looking closely at the Sony model since it is compatible with downloads from the Public Library system and, so far, the others aren't.

I really loathe all things Apple except the ipod. Now they just made one that won't fit in your pocket, and called it innovative. Why can't they make a real tablet that is useful for something other than selling useless crap from the app store.

Wow, patio thanks for the link. That no multitasking would never suit me. I listen to streaming music all the time when I'm surfing or just working on something on my eeepc.

Wow, patio thanks for the link. That no multitasking would never suit me. I listen to streaming music all the time when I'm surfing or just working on something on my eeepc.
That for me is a total deal-breaker...

That for me is a total deal-breaker...
The whole thing is a deal breaker IMHO. Seems Apple couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to build. It's way too big to hold and type at the same time like you would a phone yet too small and feature poor to be a netbook. And yet the price is double what you'd pay for an eeePC. Yet it'll probably wind up being the latest yuppy fad. I can see it now. All of yuppies with their iPad purses slung over their shoulders. :( And someone is bound to come up with some sort of sling you can put around your neck to support the IPad in front of you so you can type and walk at the same time. :hysterical:

...so you can type and walk at the same time.
Unfortunately more like type and drive at the same time. A few weeks ago my husband and I were on a major highway that used to part of interstate. It is heavily traveled and more so at 4:30pm when we were on our way home. I was driving and my husband was watching traffic. He nearly had a heart attack when he spied a gal next to us texting and plugs in her ears all while driving at 60mph. I just said tell me what car it is because I do not want to drive near her!