Help with installing Java

LLfan

If this is breaking any rules please delete this link but since I have gone through a process of help already that didn't work it makes sense for you to know what I have already tried. Plus I posted a screenshot as well. http://www.mypcclinic.com/forum/index.php?...?showtopic=1287Basically, no matter what I do I can't get java to work on my machine. I have tried the bin/rpm, and that said it went ok. But I still get the 'plugin needed'.Can anyone help?

MikeIt´s your lucky day . . . . . . . . . . . . or not . . :DJust yesterday I did post a Tip about installing the Java plugin. Let me tell you first that many have stumbled over this and never did get it right . . . . funny enough I use Galeon and without doing anything special my Java has worked fine from the start ( did not install anything, it was already there, but then I installed from PowerPack, a boxed version ).From my first impression your install of the plugin seemed to have gone fine, only the browser integration part is the stumbling block ( what browser do you use ? ). The Tip I posted does discribe how to do it . . . . Like I said . . . . . . it´s your lucky day . . . or maybe not, because it does look complicated.:thumbsup: BrunoPS: I could always send you my plugin directory by mail if needed. :whistling:

A nightly build of Firebir 0.6+. As the posts in the link says, I have tried everything within the browser to make sure it is enabled. Will check out the link.

Sorry, I did read that thread to quick to notice . . . ;)I thought Firebird had an extension database with ultra easy to install extensions . . . click and run . . is the Java plugin not one of the hundred listed ?:whistling: Bruno

No idea what a symbolic link is but I tried it and got this:

[mike:~]$  ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /hom                        e/mike/mozillafirebird/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soln: creating symbolic link `/home/mike/mozillafirebird/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so' to `/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so': No such file or directory

MikeI think it should be:[mike:~]$ ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/MozillaFirebird/plugins/Did you do it with tab completion to be sure you´ve got the names right ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Did you do it with tab completion to be sure you´ve got the names right ??
Type four or five letters of the name and then press the tab key and it should fill it in. If there are multiple files starting the same way it will go as far as the first place where they are different and wait for you to type some more while showing you a list of the possibilitites!

Did you try to copy and paste? Sometimes that helps eliminate little errors. Did you see the answer to tab completion? Evidently we posted at the same time. I thought you might wonder what he was talking about. :thumbsup:

I entered in what you just typed out and got this:ln: `/home/mike/MozillaFirebird/plugins//libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists
Java plugin is installed then . . . so it should workB) Bruno

Well acording to the Mozilla site, there has to be a soft link in the plugin directory and not the actual file . . . maybe the "libjavaplugin_oji.so" depends other files that are in the "/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/" directory . . . and will not work if you pace the file outside that directory . . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

Well contrary to my message title 'Message Adept' I am rather inept at this stuff and what you just said made little sense to me. :angry2: How can I fix this? (not my ineptness-in case you were thinking on making a wise crack :thumbsup: )

Mike

If you did a system-wide install of Sun JRE 1.4.2 as root, libjavaplugin_oji.so is located in /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/
Will you check this first ??Then just delete the "libjavaplugin_oji.so"currently in the /home/mike/MozillaFirebird/plugins directorythen:
Create ~/.mozilla/plugins if it doesn't exist. Then use the following command at a console: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
In your home directory just make a new directory ( with the GUI ) and call it ".mozilla" don´t forget the dot before the m . . . it will not show because it will be a hidden directory . . . so "view hidden files" . . . and make in the .mozilla a plugins directory . . . Then to the console:ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soJust copy and paste it in the console . . you should get no error message return, actually you will just get the prompt back, that means it did the trickB) Bruno

Don't worry. Your title says Message adept not Linux adept! We don't expect you to be an expert at this point. Heck, some of us are still in the learning phase! What he is saying is (assuming I understand) that if the file is in the wrong folder from where the browser expects it to be then it will not work even if it installed okay.

Thanks for all the help folks!Here is the location of the file:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610 (notice the _01 on the jre directory is not what sun has)What to do now? Can I simply rename the folder without breaking too much?

Don't worry.  Your title says Message adept not Linux adept!  We don't expect you to be an expert at this point.  Heck, some of us are still in the learning phase!  What he is saying is (assuming I understand) that if the file is in the wrong folder from where the browser expects it to be then it will not work even if it installed okay.
Is there such thing as Linux Adept? :thumbsup: That's like saying stable Windows--it's impossible. :angry2:

No - Don't remove the 1. That means you have a file that has been updated since Bruno's file. Leave it as it is and see if it works. Be sure to close your browser and reopen it to make sure it picked up the changes.

No - Don't remove the 1.  That means you have a file that has been updated since Bruno's file.  Leave it as it is and see if it works.  Be sure to close your browser and reopen it to make sure it picked up the changes.
Closed the browser and still i get the plugin needed prompt

Thanks for all the help folks!Here is the location of the file:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610                  (notice the _01 on the jre directory is not what sun has)What to do now? Can I simply rename the folder without breaking too much?
No do not rename it !I will adapt the command:ln -s /usr/java//j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soB) BrunoPS: did you get that plugin from the Mozilla site or directly from Sun ??

Thanks for all the help folks!Here is the location of the file:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610                  (notice the _01 on the jre directory is not what sun has)What to do now? Can I simply rename the folder without breaking too much?
No do not rename it !I will adapt the command:ln -s /usr/java//j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soB) BrunoPS: did you get that plugin from the Mozilla site or directly from Sun ??
Wait, that can't be right since it's located in file:/home/mike/MozillaFirebird/plugins I tried to change it myself but got bad command so probably screwed up the syntax somewhere--could you reconfigure the command again please. :thumbsup:

MikeI was following the instructions from Mozilla:

* Create home/mike/.mozilla/plugins if it doesn't exist. Then use the following command at a console: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soThe second method is preferred, as it bypasses the permissions issue completely, although it only installs the plugin for an individual user. You can also create the link using Konqueror or other GUI file managers
See that last line ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Yes, I see the last line. SO what you were attempting to do is create that directory and put the file in it? It didn't work as I got an error that it did not exist.

MikeI think you missed this part: In your home directory just make a new directory ( with the GUI ) and call it ".mozilla" don´t forget the dot before the m . . . it will not show because it will be a hidden directory . . . so "view hidden files" . . . and make in the .mozilla a plugins directory . . . ;) Bruno

Good !!ln -s /usr/java//j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soand to be safe:ln -s /usr/java//j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/mike/MozillaFirebird/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.soB) Bruno