Trouble reading/copying files

truval1

I am running xp-pro on my laptop and xp-home on my desktop.I am able to "see" each computer's shared folders. No problem (so far).I am able to move files freely FROM my laptop TO my desktop (ie. accessing from the desktop)I am unable to move any files from my desktop to my laptop. (ie when accessing from the laptop)It sees the files, and when I try to access them, ie. copy them over to my laptop - it opens the file copy window, and sits there for about 3 minutes then finally says "file is unavailable" Once or twice I have been able to "get" a file, and sometimes I get only part of it. I'm sure it can't be a cable or hardware problem because, I am able to access the web from each computer thru my port, without any problems. But alais, I'm open to anything at this point. Thanks for any help you may give. :lol:

Hi, we'd like to help but could use a bit more information about how your two PCs are networked. Wireless? TCP/IP? Other protocols? Are you using a router? How are you assigning IPs? Do you have Guest enabled on both PCs? More details, please. Your problem may be easy to solve.-- Scot

Sorry about the lack of info. I am using an Ethernet Broadband Router. My computers are connected by cables. My IP's are assigned automatically by the router - and they are sequential. Again - I can "see" the files on my main computer but if I try to access them -- it tries, but after about 3 minutes it reports the file is unavailable. I am running XP-pro on the laptop and XP-home on the main. I can access all my shared files on my laptop - from my main.I think I have guest enabled on both computers, .ie I've been jumping all over the internet trying to find answers -- trying alot of things. I've pinged both computers and do get a response from both. (This leads me to beleave it is an operating system problem) And since I have no problem accessing the web from either computer, this shows me the cables are ok too.Thanks for any input.Steve in Pa.

Truval1,Almost sounds like a sharing problem - except for "Once or twice I have been able to "get" a file, and sometimes I get only part of it. part...XP Home doesn't let you share a complete drive - you have to go in and set the sharing for each folder that you want to share across the network. XP Pro (I believe) does let you share the "Root" or complete drive. This might explain the ability to access files on the Pro machine and not the Home machine.Go into Windows Explorer (Start->Programs->Accessories->Windows Explorer) and see if the sharing (right click the drive and look at Sharing and Security) is set to allow access to the directories (folders) that contain the files you are trying to access.You might also check the speed that you have the network cards set to - 10/100. The 3 minutes part almost looks like things are out-of-whack a bit. When I try accessing a non-shared drive, it only takes a few seconds to give me an error...Let us know, if you get it fixed what the problem was, or if not we can keep hammering on it!d|:^)Dick

As for sharing the whole drive, no I am just trying to share a select few, on both machines.Looking at my network card settings under control panel, the value I have selected is:TP Half DuplexThe other selections are: AUI/10Base5, BNC/10Base2 and TP Full Duplex.I've tried the "Full duplex" setting one time, but then I lost my web surfing abilities - so I put it back, I've never tried the other 2 settings -- its greek to me.Is this the setting you were asking me about?thanks.

Hi!Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.I am by no means a network guru - I just built mine and helped with a couple of friends...Yes, full/half and the protocol were the settings I was talking about. I know that my network was quite slow until I turned on duplex and set all the components (cards and switch) to AUTO speed.When you are trying to share the folders, (I'm not trying to be condescending - I just have no idea where you are at...) have you gone to that folder on the machine and turned sharing on for each one you want access to? Even subfolders?I hope some network guru's will step in here! I know that http://www.practicallynetworked.com helped me a LOT on setting up mine.d|:^)Dick

Ok I've been trying some more stuff.I've tried all 4 settings for my network card on my main machine.This is what I found:AUI/10 base 5 - doesnt workBNC/10 base 2 - doesnt workTP Full duplex - doesnt workTP Half duplex - WorksOn my laptop Under control panel/device manager for my Compaq 10_100 MiniPCI Ethernet NIC network card:These are the settings:Burst Length: 1 DWORD 2 DWORD 4 DWORD 8 DWORD (current setting) 16 DWORD 32 DWORDConnection Type: 100Base-Tx (tried this setting - did not work) 100Base-Tx Full-Duplex 10Base-T (current setting) 10Base-T (Tried this setting - it worked for web but no diff for local networking) Autosense (tried this setting - did not work)Map Registers 0 (current setting) 4 8Network Address Value [ (blank) ] Not present (current setting)Receive Buffers 8 16 32 48 64 (current setting)Receive Lookahead Enabled (current setting) Disabled (I tried this setting, no diff)Transmit Buffers 8,16,32,48,64 (64 current setting)Transmit Threshold 128,160,256,512,1024 bytes,Store&Forward (current setting)Hope all this crap helps someone - Its just a frustrating mess for me......Pulling out hair in PA. Steve

main is ntfslaptop is fat32.(Is that bad?)I kept the laptop @ fat32 cause its not the fastest to begin with, and I've found ntfs to be alot slower than fat32.

nlinecomputers

I've had a simular problem on my network with my XP box. It doesn't like ANY firewalls, XPs, NORTON, ZoneAlarm, Tiny, Sygate. I've tried them all. With any firewall in place I would get crappy file sharing. No other problems . Surf the internet fine, run webservers, FTP, all of it. If it had to do with file sharing it was crap. I figure it might be a lousy driver for my net card but I haven't followed up on that. I just don't use a firewall.(I am behind a Linksys router so I am safe from outside attack and I'm careful 'bout what software I run so I am pretty sure that I same from outbound stuff.)Just my .02 cents.(bout all I got left after tax day!)

Folks, I think we're barking up the wrong tree on a lot of this stuff.Truval1, can you put everything back to the way you found it on your network card configuration? I recommend Autosensing if you're not sure.Forget whether you can get to the Internet. It's very often a red herring in analyzing network problems.Start by enabling Guest on both computers. You need to be sure that you have done that.Next, what protocols do you have installed, on BOTH computers? Describe your network stack. Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)? What else?Both computers are on the same Workgroup, right?Next, check sharing on both computers. I would disable sharing and then re-enable it. Focus on something simple. Just share My Documents on both computers. Try to eliminate variables.What router do you have, and how is it configured? Are both computers able to access the router's configuration screen?You have one NIC in each computer, right? Not two in either fo them?Are you sure that the drivers for your NICs are properly installed?Open any folder window and choose Tools > Folder Options > View. Scroll to the very end. Is "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" checked on both computers?There are issues with networking under Windows XP. I've experienced them myself (and recently). And there are other people in this forum with problems that we haven't yet explained. But until you run through the obvious things first -- and don't just try things willy nilly, ok? -- it's very difficult for people to help you.-- Scot

• 1 month later...

I know its been awhile since my last post. I still have the problem I started with. I checked everything everyone's suggested - still no dice. I've come to the conclusion - I have something set wrong in the router because I have encounted another (similer) problem which is the fault of the router. I was trying to upload some stuff to my web page and was experienacing very very long upload times (hours for tiny files) I was in contact with tech support of my web page, they had me run "tracert" and found the ping times to be hung up behind the router. This is exactly the problem I am having with my one computer. One works fine, the other seems to work fine, but the access time of files is measured in minutes per byte, and eventually windows just gives up. I've tried resetting my rounter to factory specs (although I hadn't changed anything) I've tried downloading to lastest firmware for the router. I've read and re-read all instructions. I'm stumped. I think my next move is another router -- I give up. :D

Oh I forgot one thing, I dont know if it has a thing to do with any of this, but when I run the network setup wizard I get an error something like this: "spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem" then the wizard seems to send me to the end of its "wizardness" I'm not sure if its setting up everything correctly or not. I don't have a clue what "spooler subsystem" is. I checked with MS and found the following message, "MS is aware of this problem and is currently working on a fix" What the??? I wish MS wasn't so secretive.Thanks again everyone.Steve Phillippy

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!! I bought and installed a new network card on my desktop computer -- now everything works fine. Dont know what was wrong but I think I will stomp the old network card into the ground. Thanks for any and all input I received. B)