Why do I have to wait for a device to appear

SueD

V.T. Eric Layton
So it's fixed, kind of, right?
HAHA! Yeah! :yes: If it's still searching for that root partition, just change the fstab listings and your menu.lst listing for the drives to the normal names like Striker showed above somewhere... /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. See if that solves the searching for the partition baloney.EDIT: Posted at the same time as SB. His advice is good, too. :) Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

[sue@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep sdsd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 488397168 512-byte logical blocks: (250 GB/232 GiB)sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is offsd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] 156301488 512-byte logical blocks: (80.0 GB/74.5 GiB)sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Write Protect is offsd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA sda: sda1 sda2 <sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 > sda3 sda4sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk sdb: sdb1 sdb2 < sdb5 sdb6 >sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI diskEXT3 FS on sda1, internal journalEXT3 FS on sda6, internal journalAdding 2345448k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2345448k sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0sd 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
I'm not going to touch nuttin'! I went into fstab and added those partitions on sdb and that's it. I've rebooted 5 or 6 times since installing and it's not hanging so for me, just about all's right with the world. :yes: Thanks again! :)

It's doing it again. This time I wrote down the message that shows up before waiting for the devices, just in case it's got something to do with it...

ide_generic: probe_mask=0x 3f module parameter for all legacy ISA IDE ports

securitybreach

For starters, how about running this for me again:

[sue@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep sd
or post your entire output from dmesg (running dmesg by itself will give this output).It is quite long so you may want to use pastebin http://pastebin.com/ or something like that and then post the link it gives here. I will not be around for a few hours till lunchtime but that should help to start to diagnose the problem. Thanks Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

It seems like you are not the only one getting this problem in Mandriva:http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=119275http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=121071If you do not figure it out by the time I get off of work, then we will see what we can find.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Ok try this. If it is a root partition that is giving the error edit grub and fstab if not just edit fstab:First backup the grub menu.lst and /etc/fstab:

# cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /etc/grub/menu.lst-bk && cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-bk

(Note: I just added two commands together with &&)Then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and get rid of all the UUIDs. Replace them with the actual dev name (e.g. /dev/sda1 instead UUID=). Do the same with /etc/fstab. I had to do this before with one of my partitions because it would not accept the UUID for that particular partition. See if that helps. If there is no change revert the changes back.ThanksBTW I See where it was suggested to change the UIDs in menu.lst to the /dev/sd* but did you also do that in /etc/fstab?

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

The way I understand it is: /boot/grub/menu.lst is used like a map for grub to find the kernel to boot. After that it is up to /etc/fstab to find and mount the partitions. Fstab contains information on all the partitions and storage devices in your computer. So if this is happening after grub then it is an fstab issue. Does that make sense?Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

The way I understand it is: /boot/grub/menu.lst is used like a map for grub to find the kernel to boot. After that it is up to /etc/fstab to find and mount the partitions. Fstab contains information on all the partitions and storage devices in your computer. So if this is happening after grub then it is an fstab issue. Does that make sense?Thanks
Yup, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, changing the UUIDs in menu.lst and fstab did nothing so I switched them back. Thanks anyways SB. This whole thing is an annoyance BUT it's not stopping me from working within Mandriva so I think I'll just let it be for now. Again, thank you for your help. :sweatingbullets:

V.T. Eric Layton

Sue, did you create new partitions for these new installations (Mandriva and Slack/Zen) on this machine? Is this the original hard drive that came with this system? How old is it? I'm asking all this because it's possible that you didn't get a good partitioning/formatting or it's possible you have a hard drive with issues.

securitybreach
Sue, did you create new partitions for these new installations (Mandriva and Slack/Zen) on this machine? Is this the original hard drive that came with this system? How old is it? I'm asking all this because it's possible that you didn't get a good partitioning/formatting or it's possible you have a hard drive with issues.
That was my next question, is the harddrive faulty? To check for errors, run e2fsck on all your Linux partitions even the ones that do not give errors. Use this command :
e2fsck -f -y <device>

The -f forces a check even if the drive is marked clean the -y answers yes to all questions.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

I've sent one every year for the past 3 years and I still haven't gotten what I want. :'(
Simple: Forget about World Peace - just ask for a computer! :thumbsup:P.S. Checking the HD is a good idea.- Santa Urmas