Athlon XP v/s Pentium 4

Agent007

hi all,Am thinking of buying a new PC.....Does the Athlon XP heat up as much as a Pentium 4? Given an option between speed and heat, I'd prefer to go in for the cooler one..Btw, does a Pentium IV 2.0Ghz have any heating issues? The motherboard will be an ASUS.TIA

nlinecomputers
hi all,Am thinking of buying a new PC.....Does the Athlon XP heat up as much as a Pentium 4? Given an option between speed and heat, I'd prefer to go in for the cooler one..Btw, does a  Pentium IV 2.0Ghz  have any heating issues? The motherboard will be an ASUS.TIA
Athlons heat up more then Pentiums but if spend an extra buck or two you can get very good heat sinks/fans to overcome that problem.

Historically, the Athlon has generated more heat than equivalently clocked Intel processors. I can tell you that my AthlonXP 2100+ (Thoroughbred 'B') at 1.733 GHz runs at the same temperature as my Pentium 4 1.6 overclocked to 2.16 GHz (read: the Athlon is hotter but both are within spec: in this case they are both measuring about 52 degrees Celsius). :thumbsup: ASUS is a good choice. I've got the AthlonXP running on a A78N Deluxe 2 and the Pentium 4 on a P4PE. If I were buying a Pentium 4 today I'd definitely go for the P4C800-E Deluxe.

If you put good thermal compound on your processor, it really won't matter...I put some Arctic Silver 3 compound on my chip last weekend, and dropped the running temp about 12 degrees Celsius... I don't recommend using the standard AMD heatsink/compound.

If you put good thermal compound on your processor, it really won't matter...I put some Arctic Silver 3 compound on my chip last weekend, and dropped the running temp about 12 degrees Celsius... I don't recommend using the standard AMD heatsink/compound.
I would tend to agree there. However, I decided to go with the stock HSF and paste and so far so good. :thumbsup:

My Athlon XP 2000+ was running at close to 60C with the stock HSF... Changed it, and overclocked it to 1.733 and it's running at about 48C (51C at peak)...

Arctic Silver 3 compound? thats sounds so COOL, ryan. where can i get some of that? ;)

My XP 2500+ Barton is the coolest running AMD CPU I have ever seen. Running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a Cooler Master Areo 5, it consistantly runs at 40C under full load, 24X7. It is over-clocked to 2.1GHz (XP 3000+) with stock voltage.

hi all,Thanks for all the info! Have decided to go in for the Athlon XP 2000+. Thing is I will be using the heatsink and fan which comes along with it.. since getting something from overseas could be a prob..Lets hope it does'nt burn out.thanks.

If you put good thermal compound on your processor, it really won't matter...I put some Arctic Silver 3 compound on my chip last weekend, and dropped the running temp about 12 degrees Celsius...
Hey Ryan something must have been wrong with your initial HSF install. I've read tests were the difference between the lowly Radio Shack $2 grease (which will easily do 30+ cpu's) and Arctic Silver is only about 2c (on a smooth, lapped HS). And AMD does not recommend the use of Arctic Silver.

Be careful of the stock AMD heatsink/fans. They have been known to clog with dust and overheat. Not to mention their underpowered fans. I have a whole collection of them sitting on my shelf. After one fried an XP 2600+, I no longer use them...I only pay around $25 bucks for the Cooler Master which seems very cheap to me especially if your system fries it's CPU and is useless. Add up the time lost and replacement costs...Ah well, it's your money...

Be careful of the stock AMD heatsink/fans. They have been known to clog with dust and overheat. Not to mention their underpowered fans. I have a whole collection of them sitting on my shelf. After one fried an XP 2600+, I no longer use them...I only pay around $25 bucks for the Cooler Master which seems very cheap to me especially if your system fries it's CPU and is useless. Add up the time lost and replacement costs...Ah well, it's your money...
U have a point there...So, what should I do? Switching to Intel would be a better option right?thanks.

If it were me... buy the XP 2500+ (barton) {most bang for the buck} which runs very cool and purchase a $25 to $35 heatsink/fan. Apply a thin and I mean thin almost see through layer of thermal compund and you are good to go.

Guest ThunderRiver

Yeah there are tons of cooling options for AMD CPU, but everytime I visit my friend's place, I always feel like I entered a room with a gigantic apache chopper inside the room. The fan is just too loud for me to think AMD as an option. Of course, it is a trade off between cooling and noise.

Too bad you have not heard the Cooler Master Aero V. With it's attached rehostat you can go from quite to really quite. From 1500 RPM to 3500 RPM... it's a blower and not a fan. Huge difference in sound...Add the Aero V with a silent PS and silent fans and it is barely audible... Perfect as a PVR in a AV media center.

Go with Intel.I just replaced my Asus A7V333 w/ Athy XP2000+ that used to run 60-65 before locking up until I replaced the stock HSF with a Coolermaster HHC001 Heatpipe. Problem is it sounds like I am at the airport. The replacement is almost done. Went with a MSI 865PE FIS2R board and P4 2.8/800. I still have the cover off and turned off 2 80mm fans the only think I hear now are the hard drives.If you want quiet go Intel. Or figure on buying almost the difference in price in a good HSF and a few case fan's.Chris

How are you guys measuring the temperature of your Athlons? I went from a Pentium III 933 which runs at about 35 degrees C and never exceeds 40 degrees C to an Athlon 2400+ and it (with arctic silver) was running 60 degrees C with AMD sink and fan. So I got a cooler master sink and fan and put on there (again arctic silver III) and it runs about 50 degrees C unless I underclock as far as possible (100 MHz), which lowers the temperture to about 42 degrees C. I screwed up on the mobo, and instead of using an ASUS as I had previously, I used a Soyo 400 Dragon Lite and it has two CPU temp measurements; one under the CPU in the center area of the socket and one which Soyo swears measures the die temperature thru a CPU pin. They will not explain how they are doing that however, and AMD, when I asked them, referred me to their web site where it shows a hole being drilled into the base of the heat sink just above the CPU and a thermocouple being cemented into the hole to measure the die temperature. The Soyo CPU temperature monitor reads lower than the figures given above, but I noticed that the BIOS temperature is as described above and when I installed a mobo monitoring program, it reflects both the lower and higher temperatures, so I suspect the higher one is somehow the correct one. So again, my question is, what is monitoring the temperatures quoted in the posts above - the sensor in the center of the socket well (which reads substantially lower than the actual die temperature that is read from a junction inside the Pentium processors and thus reflects the true temperature)? This Athlon heat thing bothers me because as a retired EE, I can assure you that heat is a killer! It only figures that CPU's that run cooler are going to last longer. It is not as tho AMD had a different, unique kind of high temperature transistor . . . Any input would be most appreciated. Karl

Several things to consider.The XP 2500+ (barton) has a larger CPU die area than the XP 2400. Larger area... greater heat transfer. The barton runs with a lower core voltage than the XP 2400. Overclocking many of the Athlons requires stepping the core voltage up to assure stability. I'm able to overclock with the stock voltage of 1.65 volts. Lower the voltage and lower the heat.I used a Fluke 53 Series II Thermometer with an accuracy (0.05% + 0.3?C). Here is where I placed the temp probe:tc-placement.jpgI found a slight difference of just 2 degrees C between the Asus temp monitor and the Fluke 53 Series II. That was good enough for me.

I have an AthlonXP 1800+ running on a 266mhz FSB machine. The temp has never been higher than 40 in my 2 years of use. It has a plain CoolerMaster fan but I use about 2 big chassis fans (1 to draw in air, 1 to blow out) apart from the power supply exhaust fan.I'm building a new one for myself, and it will still be an AthlonXP for me.

Marsden11, you went first class to measure the temperature! I must look into this CoolerMaster Aero V; I was not familiar with that. Where did you buy it? I have not seen it locally; just the standard stuff and that heat pipe thing mentioned in the thread that someone at the store told me worked stupendously well but he could not stand the noise and was going to get rid of it! Also, the Barton info is most interesting. Thank you. Karl

Marsden11, it looks like what is available now is the Cooler Master 7, and I see what you mean about the different blower configuration. It also comes with the speed control. Never thought about it, but a review of the 7 comments about the fact that it blows more air in the center of the heat sink where the hub of a conventional fan would be which makes some sense for better cooling. I always figured the thermal conductivity of the heat sink was such that it did not make much difference where the air passed over the fins as long as it was sufficient volume. Karl

One thing to take into consideration. I have an Intel 2.8HT processor in my machine with a cool master cooler. It is very quiet. Hubby's computer sits beside it with an AMD 1.3 processor and the default heatsink/fan. Hubby's computer is extremely loud in comparison to mine. I can't stand to leave his own when I am on the other side of the house to quit for the day because of the noise of the fan. Mine is impossible to hear from just outside the door, much less across the room. I know I can change the fan settings but do not want to risk burning up his CPU.

an AMD 1.3 processor and the default heatsink/fan.
Those were hot processors. My 2400+ with the stock HSF is quiet. The only noise I hear is from my 2 rear exhaust fans.

I have the same issue the Teacher has but my PC's are side by side.My new P4C 2.8 with HT enabled ROCKS! plus I have a much quieter Antec 480 PSU in the case with it now. I also turned off 3 80mm fans so the Big black Lian-li case is nice and quiet now. But now I have this Athy XP 2000 with a CoolerMaster HHC001 PSU in my other PC that makes one **** of a racket. THe HHC001 has a 5600 RPM 60mm fan on it that moves a lot of air to keep it at 49 degrees C. instead of the stock 61C. I finally enabled Hibernation on it when I don't use it. I can hear my self think when it's off. I can also hear my fish tank needs some water.Seriously though a the P4 needs good cooling but nothing like the athy's need.Get this on the p4c 2.8 I can encode a 1.4GB MPG that is 1 hour long down to VCD quality using TMPEGEnc in 24 minutes using no more than 70% of the processors. With the Athlon XP2000+ in the other PC it was 50 minutes for the same task plus the CPU was at 100% and the PC was not really usable while the job was in progress. The old PC used to capture it was a P3B 800 overclocked to 880 or 920 depending on room temperature. It did that task in 80 minutes or so with 100% CPU usage and forget about doing anything else at the same time. With the 2.8 last night I was batch encoding 5 MPG's while I was capturing a 2 hour TV show. During the capture of the show I lost 8 frames in the 2 hours. At 30 frames per second and 7200 seconds total that is 216000 frames. I was also playing Freecell and using Outlook. Talk about finally being able to multitask.Now what to do with that P3-800 and the Asus mobo it's on. :o Chris