Linking to a specific post

Big Jeff

Ever wish you could link to someone's post that had a handy tip or link in it? Posting a link to the thread and saying, "It's Scot's third post in the thread." is awkward and inconvenient. Here's how you can easily link to a specific post:1. Open the thread with the post you want to link to. Make sure you open page 1 of the thread, regardless of the page the post is on. 2. Copy the URL from your address bar to the clipboard.3. Go to the post you want to link to and hover your mouse over the "Quote" button in the post.4. Look at the URL that shows in your Status bar and make a note of the number at the very end.5. When you're ready to insert the link into your post, (works for hyperlinks too) do as you normally would and add the following to the end of the URL you pasted into your post from the clipboard: "entry0000" without the quotes and replacing the zeroes with the number you noted earlier.Here's how it looks using a link to Scot's Happy Birthday thread, followed by a link to his first reply in that thread:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=6&t=158http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...=158entry1178Hope you find this tip helpful. ;)

Hope you find this tip helpful. :)
Thanks Big Jeff! This is a very useful tip!I had some trouble getting it to work for me, though... I had to modify it slightly. I don't understand it, or why it works, but I have duplicated the steps several times and it consistently works... I will show the steps I have to use for my setup (IE 5.5 sp2 win98).For some reason, I don't get the "nicely" formed urls that you get ... I will demonstrate what I mean by showing you what I did to get a link to Paracelsus' KEEPER reply, on this page.1) The url I have in my address bar for this page ain't "nice" like your example for Scot's birthday thread... here it is (with periods replaced so it won't show as a modified link in the post):http-//www-scotsnewsletter-com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=286 {and following immediately after the 286 is this string: "&"+"s"+"="+"24cad6558acab4c376a4c906b11f52cd" (which doesn't show in the post if I leave it attached and concatenated!)}2) So I have to chop it down to make it more closely resemble your example:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=9&t=2863) It gets me to the same place as the original! So far, so good... but remember I can't see the "entry" number by hovering over the "Quote" button... (because the url is so long and ugly that my status bar is filled up ...)4) What I have to do is "right-click" the "Quote" button and choose "Copy Shortcut" This is the result:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/index.php? +"s"+"="+"c31b972a88d0404e96a629bd5d0d48a2"+"&"+"act"+"="+"Post&CODE"+"="+"06"+"&"+"f"+"="+"9"+"&"+"t"+"="+"286"+"&"+"p"+"="+"2511"5) The important information from the preceding url is the very last number... the same number that you see in your status bar by hovering, I think.6) So now I can use your tip by taking the shortened url in step 2 above and typing "entry2511" immediately after the "286" to achieve:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...=286entry25117) Final result: (same as above) This Link should open a new window directly showing Paracelsus' KEEPER reply.I hope you could follow what I was describing... I had to break up the long url strings so they would show up in the "Preview Post" window. do you know why the urls I see in my address and status bars are so long, when a shorter one will do?

Guest ComputerBob

Hi benhenry,The &s=########## stuff that you're seeing is called the session ID, and it's a security feature, but you can choose for it to be invisible in your URLs.Just go to to My Controls. Click on Board Settings. Scroll down to the choice that says, Do you wish to hide your session id in the links? Choose YES.From then on, the URLs that you see won't show your session ID. :DThanks for the tip, Big Jeff!

I was aware of a similar trick for vBulletin, I just had to take some time and figure out how to do it with IPB. There is one more thing, and I'm going to edit my OP to note it ... you need to copy the URL to the thread from the first page of the thread. Otherwise, your setting for the number of posts to display per page gets in the way.Glad you all like the tip. :)

Hi benhenry,The &s=########## stuff that you're seeing is called the session ID
Thanks ComputerBob... The instructions that you provided in this reply make the urls that show in my status bar short enough for me to see the entry number of a post by hovering... so now I can follow Big Jeff's tip just the way it is written! It is much easier now. :)

Guest ComputerBob
Thanks ComputerBob...
You're very welcome! :) I'm not sure why visible session IDs is the default setting in IPB forums. I don't know enough about it to know if there's some advantage to displaying those session IDs, but I have read that it poses a possible security risk to display them, especially on a computer in a public place, like a computer lab.Does anyone here understand session IDs enough to explain why they're visible by default in IPB forums?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paracelsus
Ever wish you could link to someone's post that had a handy tip or link in it? Posting a link to the thread and saying, "It's Scot's third post in the thread." is awkward and inconvenient. Here's how you can easily link to a specific post:1. Open the thread with the post you want to link to. Make sure you open page 1 of the thread, regardless of the page the post is on. 2. Copy the URL from your address bar to the clipboard.3. Go to the post you want to link to and hover your mouse over the "Quote" button in the post.4. Look at the URL that shows in your Status bar and make a note of the number at the very end.5. When you're ready to insert the link into your post, (works for hyperlinks too) do as you normally would  and add the following to the end of the URL you pasted into your post from the clipboard: "entry0000" without the quotes and replacing the zeroes with the number you noted earlier.Here's how it looks using a link to Scot's Happy Birthday thread, followed by a link to his first reply in that thread:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=6&t=158http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...=158entry1178Hope you find this tip helpful.  :o
I've been trying to link to a specific post on a Pinned thread, but can't get it to work. The URL syntax is different for "Stickies" than on standard thread.This hint works perfectly on standard threads....But I just can't figure out how to get it work on the Pinned ones.Any ideas???

Guest ComputerBob

I'll be glad when v1.2 of the IPB forum software is released. It uses shorter, friendlier message URLs that might make this whole tip moot. :D

Guest Paracelsus
I'll be glad when v1.2 of the IPB forum software is released. It uses shorter, friendlier message URLs that might make this whole tip moot. :lol:
Well...This may become moot when v1.2 is implemented. In the meantime, I found an answer that works with Pinned Threads. No idea why it's different than linking to a specific post in a "regular" thread, but it works.All you have to do is:Click the "Last Post By" link for the thread of interestCopy the URLFind the post you want to link to, and Hover over the "Quote" button (As Big Jeff outlined in his original post: Link To Specific Post )Substitute that post #, for the number in the copied URLVoilà :lol:

brucekrymow

I would like to have the URL string that I can save as a favorites link so I can be logged in directly.I do this in other forums, but can't seem to figure this one out. Anyone up to the challenge? :blink:

Guest ComputerBob
I would like to have the URL string that I can save as a favorites link so I can be logged in directly.I do this in other forums, but can't seem to figure this one out.  Anyone up to the challenge? :blink:
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if I understand you correctly, then the forums already do what you're asking.I have a Favorites Link that points to http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/Every time I use that Favorites link, I am taken to the main forum page, and I am already logged in. The fact that I'm already logged in has nothing to do with the URL (I could choose to link to any forum page and still be logged in). When you first log in, if you check the box that says something like "Remember me" and you have cookies enabled for this site, then you will always be automatically logged in every time you visit these forums, no matter which page of the forums you visit first on each visit. Is that what you were asking?

brucekrymow

Hi, Bob ~I'm not sure you are understanding correctly. Just as a URL string can be modified to bring you directly to a particular entry in post as outlined above, so can be done for a direct log in. The link you have in your Favorites requires username and password entry initially. Despite proper cookie handling configuration in IE, this does not always stick when going to different pages. But that is another issue.A URL with the properly inserted dynamic data will sign you in and bring the main page automatically. Let me explain further with an example:"http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl" is the link to the sign in page to Woody's Lounge, which is parallel to "http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/" and from there you would sign in your username & password as normal.However, inserting the appropriate data in the string nets:"http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/start_page.pl?Username=brucekrymow&Password=xxxxxx&option=Login"which, when saved in 'Favorites', signs in username, password, places the cookie, and brings the start page all with one click!I would like to save as a 'Favorites' link the URL string to accomplish the same one-click log-in-and-start as I do in other forums, but have been unable to figure it out thus far.Anyone up to the challenge? B)

So, Bruce, I take it you're not using cookies or you have them disabled? Because IPB uses cookies to accomplish what you're asking for. With cookies enabled (or at least enabled for scotsnewsletter.com in IE 6), and if you login in with the "Remember Me" option clicked to Yes, you will not need the specific switches used by other forums in their URLs.So far as I know, IPB was designed to work this way, and pointedly NOT to work the way you describe. If there is a workaround to do what you want, I will keep an eye open for it. But I don't believe there is. :D -- Scot

brucekrymow

Hi, Scot ~I think you may be confusing two different & separate issues.Let me address the one to which you replied:I do have cookies enabled and properly configured. Despite the'Remember Me' option clicked to 'Yes', it does not always recognize me when I leave and come back to a different page, ususally when I click a link from an e-mail reply whan I am not in the lounge at that moment. I don't have this problem on many sites and it is sporadic. I chaulk it to the innate inability of IE to properly manage the cookie, cache, and index files. I am not really worried about it and have learned to live w/ this idiosyncratic behavior as well as other nuances native to Windows. :blink: In any event, this does not accomplish what I am seeking. You must actively sign in by keying a password and username at some point or when the cookie is expired or purgedAddressing the other item, I am not seeking any switches used necessarily used by other forums. This is not a workaround, per se, but rather a kewl trick tip - saving as a 'Favorites' link the absolute URL string to accomplish a one-click log-in-and-start. Once you sign in the conventional fashion, there exists a designated action within the dynamic data of the URL type, similar as in the data within this string:'http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=9&t=286'When one enters their password and username here, it is not CGI, correct?I had hoped my previous explanation was clearer than mud. :unsure: I figured Big Jeff would've knocked this out already :rolleyes:

brucekrymow

Well, all I have been able to glean thus far is "member_id867", obviously my member number, "*pass_hash41a1320c2686f67ed25806579e8a1bb5", "83251904029632385250043513629558959*" and "68149896090bbd53c590ef8867992684&".I've tried different combinations unsuccessfully, but imagine I am missing required key word/character markers/indicators. :D

Guest ComputerBob

I think that, for security reasons. there may not be a way to do what you're trying to do in Invision Power Board. However, you may want to post a message at the IPB Support Forums, to see if it's possible or not. :D

Bruce,I've got to say that I'm not having the experience you are. Over and over and over again I log in automatically, never, ever having to enter my username and password. I have an icon for the Forum on my IE links bar. I'm having zero trouble bypassing the login using the cookie method.If you are using IE6, I would really like to bring to your attention that it is easy for cookies to get messed up under IE6 based on the way the privacy controls are set up there.There have been some other regulars on the forum who have run into this issue (and possibly others, I'm not sure) related to cookies. So far as I know, everyone has been able to straighten out the problem. I believe that both Jeber and Paracelsus had issues at one point or another. If you want, I can check with them and find out how they resolved it.But I believe Bob is right that you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by attempting to use the URL query approach to logging in. It is my belief that IPB specifically made it impossible to do this.-- Scot

Did I hear my name?? :D I did have some concerns about the issue of logging in/out and if there was a reason to log off when leaving each time. Some points were made to support logging out each time, I understood and agreed with them, and now log out when I leave, and back in when I return. Yes, it's a little slower and requires a whopping 3 extra clicks, but the benefits, as explained to me, make it worthwhile, IMHO. But I haven't had the same issue as brucekrymow is having now, though I think I know what he's trying to do. I haven't the foggiest if it can be done, though.( I'm amazed each time I read a post or magazine article recommending this or that to save one or two clicks. Heck, some days my right forefinger is the only part of my body that gets a good workout. :rolleyes: Bring on those clicks. I gotta finger for ya'. )

brucekrymow

As mentioned before I am aware of IE6's innate inability to properly manage the cookie, cache, and index files. I use Spider v1.16 from time to time to help temporarily mend it.Also, I have notices that I am not getting e-mail replies to threads despite the proper personal control panel settings. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any way I can resolve that? icon14.gif

Guest Paracelsus
As mentioned before I am aware of IE6's innate inability to properly manage the cookie, cache, and index files.  I use Spider v1.16 from time to time to help temporarily mend it.Also, I have notices that I am not getting e-mail replies to threads despite the proper personal control panel settings.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Any way I can resolve that? icon14.gif
Hi Bruce,I haven't had any problems getting notifications.The following thread link may not solve the situations you are experiencing, but I've seen some weird things happen on other BB's, caused by cookies. What has worked for me is to delete all the cookies associated with that BB, and then start fresh. (This is what Scot was alluding to, in reference to me, in the post above).Try the following and see if anything is better*...Deleting Cookies*My apologies if you've already tried this.

brucekrymow

Hi, Para ~Thanks. :rolleyes: Unfortunately that is old hat and the first thing I do when I have any probs of the sort. What do you think may affect the sporadic reply notification?

Guest ComputerBob
....Over and over and over again I log in automatically, never, ever having to enter my username and password. I have an icon for the Forum on my IE links bar. I'm having zero trouble bypassing the login using the cookie method....
I use IE 5.5, and that's exactly the experience I have, too.I think that Bruce's problem is a cookie problem, as Scot described, not a problem with these forums. :unsure:As for Bruce's sporadic email notifications, I haven't had any of those, either, so I have no way to test what would cause that.

I am having no problems whatsoever being automatically logged in every time I return to the forums, nor have I noticed any problems with the email notifications (although I turned them off a few days ago because of the amount of traffic generated). I use IE6 mainly, but Mozilla sporadically and Phoenix recently.Bruce, if you are having such regular cookie problems, are you sure there isn't something else going on that's crumbling your cookies?

brucekrymow

Hi, All ~I have already conceded that it is a cookie problem, but not due to local config. I am not having such regular cookie problems in Woody's Lounge, Windows XP User forum, WindowsBBS forum, TechTV, MacCentral, and AT&T like it does here. :D

Hi, All ~I have already conceded that it is a cookie problem, but not due to local config.  I am not having such regular cookie problems in Woody's Lounge, Windows XP User forum, WindowsBBS forum, TechTV, MacCentral, and AT&T like it does here.  <_<
Ahh, I see. But it has to be due to a local config somehow. More precisely, it's got to be how this forum interacts with your local config. Otherwise, many more of us would have similar problems, and I haven't seen any mention of what you have described.For the record, I don't use any cookie utilities at all with my IE6 setup in WinXP, and I've never had a problem using cookies to log into any forum I use. I occasionally visit Woody's Lounge too, by the way... I recognize your name from there. :rolleyes: