WORM/Sddrop

Martini Lover

I run AVG and update every day on my XP system. I now have a box popping up about twenty five times a day B) and it is telling me that I have a Virus :D in C;|System Volume Information\_restore{68DCCD3E-2073-4915-A5DC-A445A55876AD}\RP412\A0054533.exe and to remove the virus, please run AVG for Windows. I run AVG for Windows, and it doesn’t find anything. It says its clean, no virus.I have run the scan from Panda and also Trend Micro.Both of these sites say my computer is clean.The website at Trend Micro has this virus listed in its database, as "WORM_SDDROP.A" and instructions on how to remove it. However, every instruction is something that I cannot follow as I don't have either the stuff running in my process or I cannot find the stuff in my registry.I have tried running a Search on ALL files, looking for System Volume and different parts of the number string and it just never pops up with anything.Got any ideas what to do next?

nlinecomputers

Rons is allmost right.Turn off system restore, SCAN for virues, reboot, turn back on system restore.You had a virus in the past that has been saved to your restore folders. AVG can't remove the virus as it is in use by the OS.

Update, turned off "restore" (worried about being able to ever restore to this point) and it cleared out quite a bit of files, as the hour glass ran for over a minute. Rebooted, and ran virus scan. Still no virus showing on AVG list. Of course they didn't show up before. Tried 2 other scans and they didn't show either. Rebooted again, turned on restore and re-scaned again. Hardest part is waiting. Left it running all night and screen that was popping up has NOT come back. :D I will leave it on for the day and see what it does. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully this will be me when I get back this afternoon. :D

LAST UPDATE Everything seems to be working like it is supposed to. Evidently when you do a virus scan it doesn't look in the restore files. Three different companys scans and none of them actually showed it. I am Happy now! :lol: