mouse freeze

Karen

just gonna throw in my penny's worth (its not even worth 2 cents since this thread is pretty much solved now B) )i'm on my 3rd burner in my current computer. i go thru them every 2 years. the more you burn, the more it'll wear out. CDRW drives generate so much heat from the laser and eventually, something just gives. that's why they only have 1 year warranty on most of them. ;) now i must go to another thread as all this belly-jiggling on the left side is making me queazy. B) B)

Yes...Prelude76..... I can imagine you do go thru them as you say... I was reading your posts earlier today... Kazaa and so on........ ho hummmmmmmmmmmm.... yeah all that laser heat would certainly do a number, huh? ;) Thanks for your thoughts...

Before you throw away the CD writer, you really should check the Master/Slave settings and the IDE cable, as nline suggested.You can also try switching the letter assignments of your CD-ROM and CD-RW, and see if you get the same blinking lights and mouse freezes on the CD-ROM. If it does, it's not the CD-RW but some program trying to access file/s that it thinks is on that drive.

you really should check the Master/Slave settings and the IDE cable
i dunno, she said she got the computer pre-built, and only opened it once to install extra memory. so i'd assume that jumpers don't really 'jump' off their pins, and cables dont pop out of their sockets. B)

I did check those things, b2cm... that is why I bought a new burner. All is well here now.... and that 3 year old burner was only an 8x4x32x... it was time for it to go.And no, Prelude... not implying anything... no need to.... you said enough.karen