Notebook computers

Grasshopper

My wife is starting to hint at buying a new laptop. *sigh*I have a question. Are there notebook computer companies or places to buy them that sell the package, not with a blinking recovery disk (I detest those), but with an actual Windows OS disk?I'm pretty familiar with all the brands but my only experience actually buying one was a Compaq Precarious several years ago and it's pretty obselete for her purposes. But it had a recovery disk and I will curse those things to the end of the earth B) .Anyhoo, TIA,tbird

I thought the same thing when I bought my laptop about six months ago, and as I priced them, It always come down to a windows disc with a machine cost a little more. I didn't have XP at that time, and was pretty sold on 98se. It worked on my desktop and old laptop just fine. Well to make a long story short, you can do almost anything to a XP machine and with "restore" take care of it. I was useing restore about a dozen times a week, when my laptop was new. (For some reason.........I think that after I've had a couple of Martinis it is time to get rid of all that crap that comes preloaded on new computers.) I have since updated my desktop machine to XP, wireless networked them, added broadband and now my only problem is that I spend much, much more time than I should sitting in my easy chair, drinking martinis,surfing and playing. If you feel you need the disk, I would suggest you do like I did, surf the stores web pages, ie: Office Max, Staples, Office Depot and they always have a coupon for $25-$50 off a $100 purchase. I think my upgrade disc cost about $65.00 when I bought it. Good Luck.

When I bought my Toshiba 4215 last year, it came with the Windows issued disk for XP home. Since I was going to load XP Pro, I never used it (Home was preloaded, so the disk is still wrapped). The one system I didn't care for was Compaq...not only do they give you the dreaded restore disk only, but they preset a partition on their drives for system restore. Getting rid of the bugger was an extra step I resented having to take.

Nick Precision

A couple of years back my boss bought a new Dell Ispirion (or however they spell it) and got only the repair CD. I wanted a full Windows CD not crapped on by an OEM to do some changes, and eventually a full format/reinstall. I just called them and told them such. After some goings around about how we had legall paid for the OS and its not fair that they make me use their crappy mucked with version, they express-mailed a full Windows CD out to me. I don't know if this is policy or I was just able to get a nice person on the other end of the phone, but it worked out well.

Welcome to SFNL, Nick. Just out of curiousity, what did you threaten them with if they didn't send you one? Since whatever it was proved effective, I may be able to use the info one day. ;)

A couple of years back my boss bought a new Dell Ispirion (or however they spell it) and got only the repair CD. I wanted a full Windows CD not crapped on by an OEM to do some changes, and eventually a full format/reinstall. I just called them and told them such. After some goings around about how we had legall paid for the OS and its not fair that they make me use their crappy mucked with version, they express-mailed a full Windows CD out to me. I don't know if this is policy or I was just able to get a nice person on the other end of the phone, but it worked out well.
I have also thought about doing this. Good to see it worked ;)
Are there notebook computer companies or places to buy them that sell the package, not with a blinking recovery disk (I detest those), but with an actual Windows OS disk?
I hear ya. Recovery CD's are a pain. I want the real thing! lol. Never again will i buy a computer that doesn't come with the actuall windows disk.I assume almost every company will give you an actuall disk if you ask for it when your order your computer, but i'm just guessing. If you call and find out, please tell us the results. That would be great to know ;)Good luck with the new laptop!

Just make sure if they do, you really look good at it. When I bought my Compaq, the major chain store I bought it from tried to impress me with the fact that although the laptop came with Windows ME installed, they were going to include a full-install disk of XP Home. Which they did. Only when I unpacked the machine at home did I discover the XP disk, in a paper envelope, with no key. I called the store back, thanked them for their generosity, and asked for the key. They said I'd have to call Compaq for that. Guess what...Compaq said the store should have supplied it.Anybody know a way to snatch the key off a legally-owned XP Home disk? It's just sitting in my bookcase now. Since both machines run Pro, it's useless. So remember...no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

I guess you could always look at Mac products too. The iBook and the PowerBook. I've never actually owned any mac products myself, but i'm dying to get a hold of something to test;)I wonder if those come with the OS X cd....

You could buy a notebook at a store that also sells individual OS CD-ROMs (idealy, a notebook that does NOT come with an operating system, so that you save a few bucks). That way, you can buy the notebook, and put on whatever operating system you want, providing that the mfg. supplies drivers for the OS you choose.

Anybody know a way to snatch the key off a legally-owned XP Home disk?  It's just sitting in my bookcase now.  Since both machines run Pro, it's useless.  So remember...no good deed goes unpunished.  B)
Well, you're out of luck here... The keys aren't paired specifically with each CD... Any legal XP home key will work with any XP home CD... There's no actual key info on the CD. :)

Hi, 'Bird ~If you go with the run-of-the-mill consumer OEMs, you will be stuck with the recovery disk scenario as a result if attempting to reduce tech support hours, however, if you go with a premium custom-configurable notebook manufacturer, that will not be the case.There are only a handful of true notebook manufacturers such as Cleveo, Compal (not compaq!), Wistron and Quanta which are called ODMs (original design manufacturer) - names that you likely have never heard - that simply sell their wares to all the computer names you know who in turn stick a part or two in and then simply slap their name on - this is the dirty notebook industry secret. laptop.gif I recommend in this order:

You will get what you want, how you want, they way you want a notebook to be whether you are a road warrior or you want a true, powerful desktop replacement. You can also get Sagers and ProStars with Linux from PowerNotebooks.com.

I don't know if IBM Packages the CD or just the recovery stuff.I had the pleasure to work on a brand new Dell Inspiron a few weeks ago and I was impressed by the screen size only. The rest of the nearly $3000 laptop was not all that impressive. I use on a daily basis a IBM Thinkpad T21 that is just about perfect. I could use more memory but since it is not my property I am not about to spend my money on it. Anyway if finding a manufacturer that offers the real OX on CD with your purchase comes up empty then consider a Thinkpad. I doubt you will be disappointed. $1500 buys you a decent machine. Besides the fact that Win2000 is on mine and all of my co-workers it is a stable always working platform. Like I said above I use it daily. It is plugged in most of the time but it drives around with me on mount in my Van. I have dropped it. No issues. The Ethernet port works great as does the modem. Hibernation is flawless. Over 2 years and still chugging away. I am starting to polish the keys I use the most a bit. Like "E".Chris