Live CD as Rescue Disk

Owyn

Any recommendations on a single CD Live distro to be used as a rescue disk? I have a boot floppy but I expect I will eventually get to the point of not being able to boot properly.

Knoppix has my vote too . . . . best hardware support and the most tools to tinker around . . . plus all your partitions ( also Windows ) are represented as icons on the desktop from start.:D Bruno

Any recommendations on a single CD Live distro to be used as a rescue disk? I have a boot floppy but I expect I will eventually get to the point of not being able to boot properly.
What distro are you using, Owyn? Some of them use the first disc also as a rescue disc quite effectively (like SuSE). For a rescue disk, I'd recommend first off one that doesn't mount anything, I'm not sure if Knoppix fits the ticket, though it's certainly easy to use with the KDE interface. If you're comfortable at the command line, I'd suggest D*** Small Linux or LNX-BBC instead. Both have basic GUIs but tend to rely more on the command line to do rescue activities. LNX-BBC was started to carry on development of the Linuxcare rescue disc since Linuxcare seemed to have given up maintaining it. The advantage of it over something like Knoppix, is that it boots a lot faster, especially on slower systems. I keep one in my wallet (LUG leaders take note, they'll send free ones to you if you ask politely).

What distro are you using, Owyn?
At the moment RH9 on this system. Planning on a full rebuild with Mandrake 9.2 by the end of the month. I also have another system that will be configured as a dedicated server. Need to figure out some hardware issues before I decide which way to go. Also not sure which distribution I will be going with for the server.I have added the other distributions to my to review list. Will play with Knoppix first to get a good idea of what it can do. I have enough systems here to give it a good workout.

I was impressed with LNX-BBC, a bootable CD that fits on one of the Business Card sized CDs. It works well on my laptop, even supporting my PCMCIA cards (which Mandrake 9.1 will not do <g>) check out www.lnx-bbc.orgMikeD

Tx. I started the download.At first glance it seems that everything that is in TRK is in Knoppix (2003-09-05). TRK looks like it may have more boot options. I should/will know better by the end of the weekend between cleaning up my multi-boot mess and the planned installs.