Delay a program in Start Up?

Gus K

Hi,Decided to give Mail Washer a try after seeing mention of it here. The program works fine. Decided I wanted it to load minimized (in the tray) and check my mail at start up, so I popped it in my Start up folder. I also have shortcuts to my DSL connection and Speed Fan in there.Under options if I tick 'Dial up to the internet..." there seems to be a conflict as both my DSL connection and it both try for a connection, and Mail Washer returns an error. Un ticking it loads Mail Washer, but it does not immediately check my mail even though 'Perform mail check on start up' is ticked, though it will check in ten minutes (set that way in options).When not in the Start up folder, if I click on the desktop shorcut (which is set to open minimized), after booting, all works correctly. It pops into the tray and alerts me that I have mail.I guess if I could somehow delay it's loading till after my DSL connection is made all would be well. Searched for some possible switches to add to the shortcut, but no luck.Thanks XP Pro, PPPoe DSL

Guest ThunderRiver

I still suggest you to manually run mail washer.DSL protocol needs time to establish the connection, so it is inevitable that you would have to manually run the program insteading of putting it in the Starup folder. If you need to automate the process. perhaps you would use "Schedule Task" in Windows to execute the program after a certain amount of time.

hi i hade proble with the places of programs in the startup folder & have numbered them so they start one after the other in the right sorting ( i am not sure it's work but i hade no more problems ;) ) i never tryed this but you can try to make a small batch file like : pause 1000 call"your program"please tell me if it's workilan

There are a number of freeware startup managers floating around that will run programs in a particular order and /or support delays between kicking off each program.

Here's a freeware program that allows you to set the order and delay of programs. You can let it have control of all automatiically started apps, or only selected ones.I've been using it for about a year with no complaints. I started using it when I found that several programs and ZoneAlarm would conflict if they tried to start together. Using this app, I delay ZoneAlarm for 8 secs - everything else starts under control by WinXP, then after the 8 secs ZoneAlarm is started.Its "Startup Delayer" from r2 Studios. Good luck,

Thanks Abel,Very cool program. Did everything I needed, and more. I'd tried another, but I couldn't get it to start MailWasher minimized.MailWasher can connect on it's own, but it would bring up a dial-up box (seemed weird for DSL). It now pops into the tray and alerts me if I have mail, no more having to open OE to check.MailWasher is an interesting program that hopefully will reduce mailbox clutter, and Startup Delayer works great and has many useful funtions.Both are examples of very useful freeware utilities.Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Gus:Thank you very much for the pointer to MailWasher.I've been using two utilities to do what MailWasher does: MagicMail (freeware) allows me to screen mail on the server and delete it selectively before downloading; and SpanNix (Freeware, requires registration, renewed monthly, or there is a paid for Pro version) does everything else that MailWAsher does except Bounce.Truly amazing the high quality programs that are available for no, or low cost.Abe

if you rev of the OS doesn't support pause N - seek out the DOZE freeware utility - write a DOS batch file that DOZES and then executes your app - then put a shortcut to the DOS batch file in your startup folder. (why install yet another program when windows already supports what you want)