Can map a drive on my network, but...

dicknite

I have a small (7 box) workgroup type (NOT a domain) network wired through a switch, running Win2k, XP Pro, and XP Home. I use ICS on a Win2k box for internet connection sharing (DirecWay Satellite), and all the IP addresses are manually entered with no conflicts. I have Simple File Sharing enabled on all of the XP boxes, I have Zone Alarm running, and the XP firewall is turned OFF on all of the XP machines. (I've disabled ZA to try to correct this problem, but it does not help)Everything has been working fine until this last weekend when I rebuilt 2 of the boxes with new MB's, HD's, and OS's.Now, all of the boxes can see all the other boxes, except for one. The one problem box (XP Pro) (NOT one of the rebuilt boxes) can see all the other boxes in My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network->Workgroup and can access all of the others by clicking on them. It can also access the internet and do email and FTP. It works fine - until the other boxes try finding it on the network.None of the other boxes can access the problem box through My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network->Workgroup, but can map the drives and then access everything just fine. The machine shows up in there, so the network is finding it...When I try to click on "Main-desk" (the name of the problem box) from any of the other boxes, I get the following error:"\Main-desk is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access Denied."Huh? I can access it through drive mapping...Must be some simple little thing, and I might be too close to it to see - any suggestions?Thanks,d|:^)Dick

Do you have the IPX/SPX protocol installed? If so, disable the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol. It is OK to leave NWLink NetBIOS active.
I do have the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol disabled and NWLink NetBIOS enabled.This is getting pretty frustrating... :lol: Thanks for the try tho!d|:^)Dick

Hello,Just one thought that may help. I was wondering if you have the username/password of the computer you are using to access the XP machine as a listed user on the XP machine. It will not allow access to a user that is not part of the user access list . It is an NT/Win2K/WinXP security idea that is used with NTFS.Hope that this may help.MpKn3rd

Turn off the firewall on XP Pro. Make sure NetBIOS is cheked On, on the XP Pro box. It is turned off by default. Make sure "Simple File Sharing" is turned off on the XP Pro box.

wondering if you have the username/password of the computer you are using to access the XP machine as a listed user on the XP machine.
Yes, I use the same username/password on all of the machines. It is a blank password, so I even went into admin tools and allowed blank passwords from machines on the lan...
Turn off the firewall on XP Pro. Make sure NetBIOS is cheked On, on the XP Pro box. It is turned off by default. Make sure "Simple File Sharing" is turned off on the XP Pro box.
Hmm... You're saying to have Simple File Sharing turned Off?I'll give it a try... It would seem it needs to be turned on tho... I'll let you know.d|:^)Dick

nlinecomputers

Turning off simple file sharing does NOT turn off file sharing. It turns on ADVANCED file sharing. XP ships with file sharing handicapped and it doesn't work well.Also you sometimes have to give the computers some time to find each other. NETbeui used to have this problem alot and it could take upto 20 minutes for the machines to stop having a master browser war and find all the other machines on the network.One possible solution to this problem is to load NETbeui on all the systems.