Blue Screen Errors...

DarkSerge

HiWell, as many Windows conversations have stared: I've been having Blue Screen errors recently. I've never had a problem on this computer before but within the last 2 months I've had a few Blue Screen reboots.So far, the most prominent action that causes one is opening a music file with Winamp. Three of the last five were caused when I opened a file. No pattern - not the same file, one time it was while listening to other songs, another time it was the first file opened. One crash was caused while browsing files on my system, a different drive than my music, and another was caused when opening a video file (However, the file was corrupt, and may have crashed unrelated to previous crashes.)Crashes aren't usually frequent, maybe two weeks will pass between errors. During the week my computer is restarted daily (I shut down while I'm at work.)The Event Viewer in the Adminstrative Tools doesn't tell me anything useful other than where a minidump file is saved and a bunch of hexadecimal numbers related to the bugcheck.How can I trace where the error is occuring? A long time ago on my old laptop I had a blue screen problem and somehow traced it to a driver. After removing the driver the error stopped.I haven't made any system or hardware changes since the errors started and nothing major or memorable was installed or done to the system around the time the errors started.

What are the error codes on the BSOD? Just the first number, not the 3 in parentheses and any words?Random error codes can indicate that a stick of RAM is going bad. If the errors are all different, I'd either run a MemTest or remove 1 stick of RAM, work with the computer, it will be slow, and see if it errors out. Then do the same thing switching sticks. That is assuming your computer doesn't use RAM in matched pairs.

Edited by zlim

I don't see the error, the system just reboots and upon reboot a window pops up saying my system rebooted to protect data and it opens a website saying "your computer has recovered from a blue screen error"0x1000007f is the first number in the Event Viewer's save dump log information.Is there a way to read the dump file information? I think that's how I found a faulty driver on my old system - but that was many years ago so I'm not clear on how I fixed it.

Edited by DarkSerge

Disable auto-restart. to do this go to My computer | Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | Startup and recovery settings button | deselect the 'automatically restart on failure' option.This should stop your computer from restarting on its own. And should bring back the BSoD if you get one.taken from: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-...992#entry314992

Bug Check 0x1000007F UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_MThe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M bug check has a value of 0x1000007F. This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.Bug check 0x1000007F has the same meaning and parameters as bug check 0x7F (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP).General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errorsHTHCheers

The Event Viewer in the Adminstrative Tools doesn't tell me anything useful other than where a minidump file is saved and a bunch of hexadecimal numbers related to the bugcheck.How can I trace where the error is occuring? A long time ago on my old laptop I had a blue screen problem and somehow traced it to a driver. After removing the driver the error stopped.
First download the Microsoft debugging tool from the Windows site.Also read the instructions for use from this site, scroll down to the section where it says "About the Microsoft Symbol Server".Minidumps are located in "C:\WINDOWS\Minidump" if you're running WinXP.

I disabled the auto-restart. Right now it is set to small dump. Would a different setting be better? (Kernel dump or full) I don't get the error too frequently, so it might be a couple weeks before I see it again.I do have the dump file from my last error so I'll see what I can get from that. Does anybody know of any good RAM diagnostic tools? I'm told there's some decent ones you can find online free.

Just do the kernel dump for now and analyze the results. If it does not turn up anything useful, then do the full dump. With the full dump, you'll have to wade through lines of useless mundane information. Also, the 2nd link given by Alphaomega is good but it's more for developers. However there is a section that explains how to setup the debugging tool for Windows symbols server. It contains the same information in the link I gave you in my previous reply above.

Edited by Tushman

I ran Memtest through one pass and it didn't find any errors. How many passes should it go through? Is there a need for more than one?
You need to run a very thorough test. That means more than 1 pass, absolutely yes. When I run memtest, it's usually for a minimum 12 hour period.

Alright. Is there any risk in letting it run over night or during the day when I'm gone? My only concern when I let the computer do things while I'm not around is that a message or error will pop up and wait for my response.

Alright. Is there any risk in letting it run over night or during the day when I'm gone? My only concern when I let the computer do things while I'm not around is that a message or error will pop up and wait for my response.
No such thing running memtest. It will tell you how many errors (if any) have occurred during the test. Just let it run overnight if you wish.

Well your memory is not a problem.Can you find the minidump and post it. I can't read them very well but it usually does say something about the process that is the faulting module. (things like an nvidia driver or USB).

I do have the dump file. I don't know how to post it on here, although there is a server I could post it on temporarily.

Edited by DarkSerge

Actually, I was looking for a minidump.The first couple of paragraphs are unneeded.Look at this http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246and just the text like this

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULTBUGCHECK_STR: 0x86427532LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from f4198fc0 to 804f4103
and this
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwnerSYMBOL_NAME: pavdrv51+7fc0MODULE_NAME: pavdrv51IMAGE_NAME: pavdrv51.sys
Would give the information.All the other info, at least for me, is incomprehensible.Copy and pasting a few lines here in your post would show the relevant information.

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 1bSYMBOL_NAME: OADriver+28238FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwnerMODULE_NAME: OADriverIMAGE_NAME: OADriver.sysDEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 49e60073FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_8_OADriver+28238BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_8_OADriver+28238Followup: MachineOwnerLooks like it's OADriver.sys, yes? The problem is my firewall, Online Armor, it seems.