Should ISPs do more to protect end users

Peachy

Should ISPs act as a firewall for end users?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If they want to offer it as an optional feature for people who do not know how to protect their PC that is fine. But it should not be an across the board situation. As soon as they start to block one thing they will find excuses to block more. I would rather we just leave Pandora's Box alone.

If they want to offer it as an optional feature for people who do not know how to protect their PC that is fine. But it should not be an across the board situation. As soon as they start to block one thing they will find excuses to block more. I would rather we just leave Pandora's Box alone.
Given the number of people who don't even know what a firewall is, maybe something like this is a good idea. Making it opitional also sounds good. But how do you do that? Most people get dynamic IP addresses, so that couldn't be the method of choice. By user ID when they log on maybe? Seems like this would require some work and I doubt that ISP's would want to take on this task. If this were to happen, I'd bet that it would be an all or none situation.

nlinecomputers

ISPs should block most ports by default. One it would elimate Joe six pack from getting invaded by a trojan backdoor via some oddball port. It would also let ISPs that allready have bandwidth hog problems lockdown more of the service. Bandwidth costs money and those that run webservers and the like on non-fixed IPs are usually violating your ISP terms of agreement anyway. Anyone that needs a special IP can request it. Those that don't know how shouldn't be using them anyway. I for one am tired of having my bandwidth sucked down by constant pings, probes, and attempts at hacking my firewall. Get these jerks off the dang internet.

I support the idea. This would be a huge undertaking by the ISPs, and only the big ones would be able to afford it and support it. Setting up Blocking profiles by ID would be the way to go. Some people don't know a port from a peripheral - and these are the people that need it most - so it would have to intuitive. Maybe application level permissions, like ZA, but run on the server instead of the client?On the down side, there would be only one firewall between the hacker and _all_ of the ISP's clients who use and trust their ISP.