Another hacker to be arrested

ibe98765

Arrest Warrant Issued for N.Y. Times Hacker Sep 5, 7:57 PM (ET) SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Federal law enforcement officials have obtained an arrest warrant for a hacker who makes a habit of breaking into corporate computers and then publicly exposing the security holes, a spokeswoman for a federal public defender's office confirmed on Friday.The complaint against Adrian Lamo is sealed so the details were not released, said a spokeswoman in the Federal Public Defender's office in Sacramento, California, where Lamo's family lives.The spokeswoman said her office was contacted by either Lamo or his family to help with his representation given the pending arrest.Lamo could not immediately be reached for comment.In an interview with SecurityFocus.com published on the Web site on Friday, Lamo said he believed the warrant was related to his hacking into The New York Times' computer system early last year. He also said he did not plan to turn himself in.Lamo exploited weaknesses in the newspaper's password policies and gained access to social security numbers and home numbers for thousands of people, including former president Jimmy Carter, former secretary of state James Baker and actors Robert Redford and Warren Beatty, SecurityFocus.com reported.A spokeswoman for The New York Times did not immediately return a call seeking comment late on Friday. The U.S. Attorney's office for the southern district of New York declined to comment on the case.

Guest LilBambi

Lamos has been a guest on TechTV's The Screensavers and there is additional information on this in the RSS feeds around the net.TheMortuary.org.Intro to the story, see above for details:

Adrian Lamo responds to FBI's charges Adrian Lamo sounded scared. Friday afternoon, he called in to the Tech TV studios from a cell phone for a brief interview with Leo Laporte and Kevin Rose, just two days after the FBI had formally issued a warrant for his arrest.When asked why the warrant had been issued, "It's really hard to say. I've not been given a lot of information at this time." Adrian said. He later commented that "They (the FBI) have a Federal arrest warrant out of New York City. Nobody's saying anything but I have reason to believe that they (the charges) relate to a criminal complaint that was made by The New York Times relating to my publicized intrusions into their system last year."When asked where he was, Adrian responded, "I am in a safe place. I'm currently in a state of transit. I'm in the process of corresponding with my public defender who is corresponding with the Federal prosecutors in this matter."
Kevin Christley is Senior Editor of TechFocus.org and TheMortuary.org. Edited by LilBambi

Cluttermagnet

Aw, gee- the english language is taking a beating at the hands of the current generation who were raised as television kids and didn't do all that much reading on their own. Quoting from the otherwise fascinating account of the latest hacker's travails in The Mortuary:

...the FBI had begun to steak out his parents home in Sacramento, California. "They wouldn't tell us anything but that they had an arrest warrant and they wanted to come in." Said his mother, Mary Lamo. They reported that they had spoken to Lamo on Thursday and that he was still in California.
(emphasis mine) So the feds "steak" out his parents house- I'm picturing a sort of police block party with lots of steaks being grilled as the officers patiently wait out the guy's parents, who offer to loan their bottle of A1 sauce but are otherwise uncooperative with the officials who come to their door. The standoff continues. Film at eleven.Somehow I feel like I have a stake in this steak caper. If we could just somehow put a stake in the heart of our nations late anti-libertarian tendencies, we could all put down our protest signs and go on down to O'Malleys and have a nice steak and a delicious beverage of you're choice... (oops, sorry- I couldn't resist!)...of your choice. :lol:Yes, english is a difficult 'patchwork' language, and even english speaking people often stumble over it!Thanks to David Letterman or his joke writers for the "delicious beverage" line.