Machine will NOT Power up

kamicota

Hi all here we go again with this new/old refurbished AMd 3800 desktopFirst of all tried it in my Protected Power bar and after switching the power bar on this machine AUTOMATICALLY booted up So tried it in the wall socket and it would not boot up at allSo back into the Protected Power Bar and it booted up Here is a Little history of the events up till now and some of the comments--->>>I always switch the power bar off at night and on first switch on the next day power lights up on the new/old CMStorm desky and it boots up without any prompting from me.But when I shut it down it WILL NOT POWER UP AGAIN until the power bar is shut off and restartedIt's a setting in the bios, the computer defaults to the last power up status (ie 'Prior Power Up Status'. So if you turn off the power bar, it looks to the computer like the power failed and it turns itself back on once the power comes back. If you shut it off via windows, the computer knows you shut down manually and stays in the off state when power is reapplied. Your other computers likely have this option defaulted to 'Off'--->>>Booted into windows - shut down via windows rebooted and Went into the bios tuned off the after power shut down and and NOW IT WILL NOT BOOT UP AT ALLFind the battery inside the machine and remove it CAREFULLY and let the machine sit for 30 minutes, then replace it. That =should reset all the bios settings. I recommend you don't alter the BIOS settings in case it does something just like this again.My reply--->>>Can't find battery anywhere in the MB Manual but I'll look inside the case and have you any idea where the battery would be and what it would look likeI can NOT get into the Bios can NOT power up the machineEVEN after as suggested from the seller take out the battery for 30mins - replace and try again.Had it out for 40mis--->>>It will NOT POWER UP in either wall socket or Power barI did this from Bios before--->>>AC Power Loss Restart: [Disabled] because it was enableBut do NOT remember what this setting is --->>>Automatic Power Up: [DisabledAm going to remove the battery again for an hour this time and see what happensWell it is time to replace the battery and see what happensANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS are GREATLY Appreeciated and the price of a power supply does not bother me BUT INSTALLING IT does as does having to travel 180mioles to get one and which one :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Cheers for YearsColin

The newest advice from sellerI was just thinking, it's possible that that motherboard is one of the newer models that has a capacitor act as a battery for the settings, in which case removing the battery may not do the trick. If I remember correctly, there's a jumper block on the motherboard that you can use to reset the CMOS. I don't know where it'd be on that board, but you could find out in the manual I sentAnd Striker am looking at your last post as we posted together now nee a little dindinCheers for yearsColin :)

Hi all againHere is an image of the A8N-E MB--->>>Here is one imagehttp://www.thetrailingedge.com/images/prod...s-a8n-e-big.jpgAnd shoot Which are the jumpers I need to do this from the manual--->>>Move jumper cap from pines 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3, keep the caps on pins 2-3 for 5 - 10secs then move the cap back to p;ins 1-2Reinstall BatteryPlug in Power Cord and turn on computerHold DEL key during boot process and enter bios setup to reenter dataBUT I can NOT DO NOT see these jumpers as Manual diagram is so poorThat's why have been in Google Images to check exactly where and what they areCheers for YearsColin :)

The Mother Board Procedures have been followed AND STILL NO power even though KVM shows the light at the new/old computer after the power bar is switched on.I am at a total loss now but thanks to Striker at least we have got this farCheers for YearsColin :)

When you write "no power" is the PC full on dead or is the display not coming up but the pc is humming along?There are 3 components that you could be having issues with. Power supply, Motherboard and Video card. As for power supplies get any 500 watt ATX power supply. As long as it is a newer design it will work with just about all non-OEM motherboards. Remember KISS. Keep it super simple.

Thanks FuzzbutThe power will NOT switch onNever thought of the Video Card but the card in use is a standalone and would probably need the drivers on a new install byut they are in right now because it is DVI Video card with DVI/VGA adaptor on it.Power Supply is a nightmare to me with all the necessary hook ups of plugs unless a qualified individual did it The present one is a Tagan 480W Power supplyAm waiting more advice from the seller tooCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Power supplies are easy. Just have to make sure you replace like with like. Even easier since you have more than one PC there to take a look at for examples.You could also short out a set of pins on the 20 (or 24) pin ATX connector to force the powersupply to turn on. If you are comfortable doing that I can explain or you can search here or Google for info/pictures. I don't have a spare here right now to try out so I can't walk you thru it.

FuzzButOn both ideas I am truly VERY ILL at ease with - even the changing the jumper had me in palpitations even though after the first try I did another 4 timesBUt I do APPRECIATE the offerBut like that TV ad says THIS I NOT MY FORTE (Kia Forte car)Cheers for YearsPower supplyColin :thumbsup:

Well the seller is looking for another power supply but think it will be a refurbished one or one that has been used before I went looking here myself as this is probably the nearest and best avenue for a new one--->>>http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Comp...E)/Default.aspxBUT so many to choose from and so many different specs amd confused as to which to choose if his does not workAnd to reiterate again --->>>THIS IS NOT MY FORTE :thumbsup: (KIA TV ad)And as much as Fuzzbutt says just match like with like there are so many connections and different size cables it looks like a hornets nest for me to enter into.I would have to try and do it with the new power supply in place but with the old one still connected and it's 180miles to travel to go to Memory Express for them to do itBoy oh boy the challenges are either burning me out or lighting my life up don't know which :thumbsup: Please stay tuned for the next episode in this sagaCheers for YearsColin B)

Can you believe this :thumbsup: Just had the cable company tech come and install a modem and internet connection on the Quad (can put it on the 4600+_ but not yet) because I now now have two internet connections the 4600+ coming down at 320kb/sec and the Quad coming down at 601kb/sec (hightest supposed to be 500kb/sec) SIMULTANEOUSLY (It is a two month FREE trial --->>>LOVE those FREEBIES :thumbsup: BUT HE SHOWED ME THIS POWER SUPPLY--->>>http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=333...mp;promoid=1187Which may be needed if the seller does not come throughIt is only 400w but it's power or protection is better than the Tagan 480AND HE WILL INSTALL IT FOR ME B) So how is this for letting challenges take there own course of action eh??? Cheers for yearsColin :)

Can you believe this :thumbsup: Just had the cable company tech come and install a modem and internet connection on the Quad (can put it on the 4600+_ but not yet) because I now now have two internet connections the 4600+ coming down at 320kb/sec and the Quad coming down at 601kb/sec (hightest supposed to be 500kb/sec) SIMULTANEOUSLY (It is a two month FREE trial --->>>LOVE those FREEBIES :thumbsup: BUT HE SHOWED ME THIS POWER SUPPLY--->>>http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=333...mp;promoid=1187Which may be needed if the seller does not come throughIt is only 400w but it's power or protection is better than the Tagan 480AND HE WILL INSTALL IT FOR ME B)
You have to dig a little deeper when comparing power supplies. Looks like the Corsair provides 30A @12v, the same as the Tagan.

Thanks GusThe TECHNICAL digging eludes me as I am not really versed in those mattersAnd had problems finding the specs on the Tagan a few days ago so could not really compare them but as of NOW it is a back up plan if the seller does not come throughSo as usual we are PLAYING this all by EAR until the next new development takes placeThank you SOCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

hi AllWE :) be back again-Here's the power supply from the Seller Posted today --->>>Tagan TG480-U15 AND--->>> :o :o :o :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: my son is bringing a spare Power Supply tonight What BRAND = ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But may need directions on this--->>>The only tricky part is the blue 4 pin connector, as there's two of them on the Tagan, one for each style that a motheboard can use. They're keyed differently, so you'll have to match the correct connector for it to work, but you shouldn't have much problemHAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE MEANS HERE :"> :"> :"> Anyone out there (OOPS!!! that sounds like ET callin' home :) ) have any ideas Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Cluttermagnet

I have a couple of computers which sometimes will not turn back on. BIOS settings don't really matter here because this is an occasional behavior.But get this- the power supply is the problem, and I have found that turning off the switch on the power supply does not fix this non- start. If, however, I physically unplug the power connector from the power supply in back, then reconnect it right back, the computers do start.My vote is: temperamental power supply (not battery on the mobo). Therefore, if you put in a different supply, this should also correct the problem.Well, it's a guess, but that is my hunch right now. OTOH you may indeed have a bad supply. They are the part of a computer I have seen fail the most often. Good luck! :D

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Thanks ClutterI have tried both unplugging computer from protected power bar and also from the back of the computer several times and it still won't power up.My son brought an older power supply (330W but do not think it is powerful enough although there is a Tagan TG480-U15 power supply on the road to me.I may even give a few more before the Tagan arrives.So for now will just have wait the course eh :D Cheers for yearsColin :lol:

Adam THANKS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where in the heck is that??? :"> Here's a picture of MG--->>>http://www.thetrailingedge.com/images/prod...s-a8n-e-big.jpgHeck a brand new Targan arrived this after noon but the cables seem a little different in nature than the origionalSo willing to try ANYTHING :"> ;) Cheer for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Colin, do you see the aluminum heatsink just above the processor socket in the picture you posted? That piece of aluminum with fins at it and in the middle of it the word ASUS ? At the right of it is another power connector, also white: if the connector from the power supply going in there is loose, the machine won't power up ever... check that one for firm seating.