IPC Password

gautam

Heres the setup: I have a 98 machine on the network (a winnt domain based network). This machine authenticates with the PDC fine and is able to access the servers shared resources. I also have a BDC(winnt4) which syncs fine with the PDC. This particular 98 computer is able to access the PDC and other NT Member servers (email, file server). But when accessing the BDC in question I get a logon window saying Enter IPC$ password. Other computers can access the BDC fine. As far as I know an IPC$ logon comes into picture when a non-NT system is not authenticated with an NT system. Again it can access other NTServer systems without a problem. Except this one. Any ideas on what could be the reason for this. Or what steps I could try to trouble shoot,.cheers

This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons: The Windows 9X-based computer is not a client of a domain environment but the Log On To Windows NT Domain option is enabled. The user name and password you are using to log in to the Windows 9X-based computer are not contained in the local user accounts database of the Windows NT-based computer you are attempting to browse. The Windows 9X-based host is configured with user-level authentication to an NT domain. To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method: Disable the Log On To Windows NT Domain OptionDisable the Log On To Windows NT Domain option on the Windows 9X client computer. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double- click Network. 2. On the Configuration tab, click Client For Microsoft Networks, and then click Properties. 3. In the Logon Validation section, click the Log On To Windows NT Domain check box to clear it. 4. Click OK. Set Up User Accounts in the Local Accounts DatabaseUse the User Manager tool to set up user accounts in the local accounts database of the Windows NT-based computer that you are attempting to browse. These user accounts need to contain the same logon information (user name and password) that is used when a user logs on to his or her computer. Disable User-level Authentication on the Windows 9X-based Host1. Save and close any open work on your computer. 2. Open the Network control panel on the Windows 9X-based host. 3. Select the "Access Control" tab. 4. Select the "Share-level Access Control" radio button and click OK. 5. Restart the computer as prompted. Background on Share Level vs. User Level SecurityShare level security provides a password controlled gate to protected resources. The advantages of this security paradigm is that it allows granting access to a broad range of people with very little effort. It is not very secure, since the password is widely distributed and there is no notion of personal accountability. Windows NT's security paradigm is based upon granting access to individuals each of whom has an account. This allows fine-grained control over per-user access and allows individual accountability. The disadvantage is that you must create a user account for each user you want to grant access to and you must grant that user the access (either directly or by adding to an appropriate group).