Windows 7 RC tribulations...

kamicota

Frank Golden
Thank you FrankHave bookmarked the site on the 4600+Thoughts re the 250GB drive seem to be--->>>20GB Fat32 for XP OS 1st PARTITION (Hopefully "C" :) )30GB Fat32 for XP Programs and downloads20GB EXT3 / For PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome30GB EXT3 for /home20GB EXT3 for another Linux distro???3GB Swap30GB EXT3 /home for the other Linux67GB NTFS for Win 7 Programs and downloads 30GB NTFS Win7 OS The LAST PARTITION for Win7Or something in this orderCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:
Looks like a plan. Remember that the XP partition can be changed to NTFS during the XP install. Save time later.PCLinuxOS 2009.1 gnome is a good choice for default linux OS. Let grub overwrite the mbr. I suggest installing PCLos first after installing XP. You can always edit /boot/grub/menu.lst later to make XP the default choice. After installing Win 7 you will have the Win 7 bootloader, this will have XP and Win 7 on the boot menu.Use SuperGrub CD to restore grub and you will have your grub menu back with your XP entry with a twist. Selecting XP will bring up the Win 7/XP menu.

EricI ALWAYS use Fat32 for XP because of the intrusiveness and keystroke logging of NTFS so no need to reformat And will install PCLinuixOS 2009.2 Gnome after trying the livecd first of course.If I read you right --->>>after installing Win7 both XP and Win7 will be in the PCLinuxOS Grub menu???Although did not understand what you said about Super Grub but that's for a little later anyways eh???Am waiting for a reply on the hardware forum about this new/old CM Storm computers powering up habits before I startCheers for yearsColin :)

Frank Golden
EricI ALWAYS use Fat32 for XP because of the intrusiveness and keystroke logging of NTFS so no need to reformat And will install PCLinuixOS 2009.2 Gnome after trying the livecd first of course.If I read you right --->>>after installing Win7 both XP and Win7 will be in the PCLinuxOS Grub menu???Although did not understand what you said about Super Grub but that's for a little later anyways eh???Am waiting for a reply on the hardware forum about this new/old CM Storm computers powering up habits before I startCheers for yearsColin :)
Ok, Colin I didn't realize you prefered fat 32, that's cool. You will need NTFS for Win 7 though.Anyway Super Grub CD is a neat tool to restore grub after it gets messed up for whatever reason. After installing Win 7 the mbr will be replaced with Win 7's bootloader. Running SuperGrub to restore grub to the mbr will integrate the Win 7 bootloader with grub. The grub menu will still have a XP entry like before but selecting it will take you to the Win 7/XP menu.As for Super Grub D/L the .iso from here and burn to a blank CD.http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfi...?group_id=10921Download the CDROM version (iso) near bottom of page.Once burned to CD boot to SuperGrub to restore grub.Choose English with help, and SuperGrub will walk you through restoring grub. Edited by Frank Golden

Thanks FrankI have a Super Grub CD .9763 on CD already and have used it.What I am hearing is once I use Super Grub to restore Linux menu it will then include BOTH XP and Win7 as well as PCLInuxOS???Frank have you any ides on this my hardware post--->>>The new/old computer seems to have a mind of its own re Starting up--->>>It is plugged into a KVM and a protected power bar (with two other deskies)I always switch the power bar off at night and on first switch on the next day power lights up on the new/old CMStorm desky and it boots up without any prompting from me.But when I shut it down it WILL NOT POWER UP AGAIN until the power bar is shut off and restartedSo whether there are gremlins or other forces at work here would love to hear some comments pleaseDon't know if this will change as this computer is about to have all both hard drives deleted then re set up with XP Win7 and also Linux but though I'd explore this before taking the plungeCheers for yearsColin :)

Edited by kamicota

Frank Golden
Thanks FrankI have a Super Grub CD .9763 on CD already and have used it.What I am hearing is once I use Super Grub to restore Linux menu it will then include BOTH XP and Win7 as well as PCLInuxOS???Frank have you any ides on this my hardware post--->>>The new/old computer seems to have a mind of its own re Starting up--->>>It is plugged into a KVM and a protected power bar (with two other deskies)I always switch the power bar off at night and on first switch on the next day power lights up on the new/old CMStorm desky and it boots up without any prompting from me.But when I shut it down it WILL NOT POWER UP AGAIN until the power bar is shut off and restartedSo whether there are gremlins or other forces at work here would love to hear some comments pleaseDon't know if this will change as this computer is about to have all both hard drives deleted then re set up with XP Win7 and also Linux but though I'd explore this before taking the plungeCheers for yearsColin :)
You are correct about SuperGrub. After restoring grub you will have the same menu you had before with an XP entry.Selecting the XP entry will bring up the Win 7/XP bootloader, alowing you to choose between Win 7 and XP.If you choose PCLinuxOS instead it will boot PCLinuxOS.As for the issues with powering up the new/old computer, try connecting it directly to a wall socket without the KVM and see if the computer behaves. If the computer starts up as soon as you plug it into the wall socket then you know there is something wrong with the power switch on your computer, this is what I suspect. I don't think the KVM is the issue. Edited by Frank Golden

Frank ThanksHad it a wall socket first and it would not boot up but may try another power bar from that wall socket and see what happens But for now I am stymied with that little challengeAnd another quirk a success ful Livecd PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome worked a treat but would NOT shut down even with ctrl/alt/delHad to switch all deskies off and power bar and restart power barBut who knows may just go ahead and install anyways can't get any worse can it :) Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

FrankWe have it in GParted and all it shows is HDA1 = 250GBCheers for YearsColinOOPS!!! NOFound the 5ooCheers for YearsColin

WellXP is on drive "C" :) drive "E" is being formatted to put programs on and possibly off to LinuxMight say all on the 250 --->>>No sign of the 500 as yet :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Frank Golden
WellXP is on drive "C" :) drive "E" is being formatted to put programs on and possibly off to LinuxMight say all on the 250 --->>>No sign of the 500 as yet :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:
If you deleted the 500 GB drive using gparted like we talked about then you will need to format it before Windows explorer can see it. In XP use diskmgmt to see it and format it.It might be worthwhile to create a shortcut to diskmgmt. You will need it for formatting fat 32 and NTFS partitions.The path to diskmgmt is
C:\WINDOWS\system32\diskmgmt.msc

Right click your desktop and choose new>shortcut and copy the above code to the location field click next and ok.What partition setup did you use? Please list all the partitions on the 250 GB drive.

Frank :) Ill get back to you while also trying to sort out bios and shut down/start up power problems But for now think it is something like this--->>>"C" 20+ gig fat32 XP OS"E" 28GB Fat 32 Programs etc hda6 20GB PCLinux OS 2009.2 Gnomehda 7 3GB Swaphda 8 20GB ext3hda 10 67GB /homehda 11 40+GB ntfs for win 7 programshda12 ntfs for Win 7 OSThis is just from memory will give it exactly when I get back into itCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota