Zenwalk

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Zen was the first Linux distro for which I compiled my own kernel. I'm sure many of you have forgotten about this. Zenwalk was one of the first distros to use the libATA drivers in the kernel. My system at the time had its swap partition way up high (#17) in my EIDE drive. Zen could not see the swap partition or my achive partition (#18). I had to compile a kernel for it with EIDE drivers. Worked like a champ after that.THIS TIME, HOWEVER... I have my ericsbane03 configured differently. My swap and archive partitions are on low numbered partitions. Plus, I don't have any partitions higher than 15, so I won't have to compile a kernel for Zen this time. I really liked Zenwalk w/ Xfce. My recent installation of PCLinuxOS - Phoenix Edition w/ Xfce got me missing Zen. This will be the last of the install-fest installs for a while. I don't have any partitions left. ;)Check out my new "linux_bar" in my sig. Those are the distros on my system right now: Slackware, Debian, CentOS, PCLinuxOS, Absolute, Wolvix, and Zenwalk. Well, they'll be on my system by this time tomorrow night, anyway. :)FUN! :thumbsup: Now y'all know why I have all this drive space with all these extra slots for Linux distributions... install-festivals, learning, FUN! G'night for now... icon_exclaim.gif

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

A small problem with Zenwalk... it never allowed me to set up a root password during install. I just found out I can login as "root" initially with no password and then set one using the "passwd root" command. I'm going to try that now. Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

Alrighty then... Zenwalk is OK now. I'm in. The problem was that I didn't add the "initrd -- /boot/initrd.splash" to the menu.lst entry for Zen. It booted OK this time and ran the initial root password/create user set up screens. All's well. Hey! This kinda' looks familiar in here. I think I've been here before. ;)Off to install one more tonight... Ark, I think (over the Wolvix partitions).Later...

V.T. Eric Layton

Very nice. All's well on my system today. I even fixed my Windows booting issues. B)

I read with fascination your linux-install marathon. That would drive me nuts trying to balance all those distros. As of yesterday, I had 7 computers in the house and just to keep them updated is a full time job! It will get really easy once I pull all the windows 2000 computers off the internet in August. The laptop I was to farm out yesterday (win 2K) decided to act up. It was working fine the night before. I converted some files on another computer to pdfs, moved them over to the laptop and burned a data CD so my husband could drop a newsletter off to the printer. I fire up the laptop yesterday and the icons refuse to load, the CPU is stuck at 100% and the services.exe is fluctuating between 85% - 98% ! Before you say virus, the computer has not been on the internet nor attached to my home network since June 14th. We went out and the laptop was left alone running to see if it would sort itself out. After 3 1/2 hours, nothing changed. I finally just restored it to an image I burned on June 14th and updated all the security programs again. Then I went to my friends home, set up the laptop, put her dialup ISP on it, showed her how to watch a DVD and where all the games are located - all the important things. :hysterical: She had a knee replacement so she is unable to climb the stairs to get to the home computer. So she will be using the notebook to get and send email until her new knee is strong enough to climb all the steps.

V.T. Eric Layton

Sounds like you've been busy. :)It's not really difficult to have all these operating systems on my computer. I only keep two fully functional and updated: Slackware, my primary OS, and Debian, my back up OS. Windows is installed and slipstreamted to SP3 from CD, but has no Network (I-net) capabilities. I don't even have an antivirus app on it. It's ONLY for game play purposes. The five experimental operating systems are just that... I only have them in there to play with and learn from. I don't worry about having them up-to-date or loaded with all my usual software. I just tinker with them to learn how other distros work. FUN! :thumbsup: