Ubuntu 9.04 and Aborted SWF Codec Install

Cluttermagnet

Now this is interesting- under home/clutter, there is also no folder named .pulse right now.
Reboot?But... since there is no change so far... clutter has audio, betty doesn't, I'm beginning to think that you - when you have time to spare - should go to "users and groups" and see if betty has privileges for audio devices and if pulse, pulse-access and pulse-rt are included in betty's Groups settings.Next, compare clutter's and betty's audio devices (double click on the volume control applet and go to settings)... are both using the same device?Troubleshooting sure is fun! :">

Cluttermagnet
Reboot?But... since there is no change so far... clutter has audio, betty doesn't, I'm beginning to think that you - when you have time to spare - should go to "users and groups" and see if betty has privileges for audio devices and if pulse, pulse-access and pulse-rt are included in betty's Groups settings.Next, compare clutter's and betty's audio devices (double click on the volume control applet and go to settings)... are both using the same device?Troubleshooting sure is fun! :">
Hmmm- very interesting. When I access 'users and groups', clutter has most privileges checked. Betty has absolutely no privileges according to her list. BTW I didn't see any item which particularly addresses audio in either list- may have skim-read too fast...I am going to reboot, pretty fast on this machine, BRB...

Quick audio privileges fix - might do the trick:Under clutter, open the terminal, and:

sudo adduser betty audio

:">

Cluttermagnet

Interesting. Closed Firefox under both users, then tried to reboot. Unresponsive. Used RSEIUB. Upon reboot, under user betty, both the YouTube video and the mercola.com videos have audio. In fact, both sound tracks started playing simultaneously as Firefox re-opened into a session with 'remembered tabs' open.Also Nautilus, view all files, now shows folder .pulse is present in home/betty.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Works now? Do a "confirmation reboot". Regarding desktop user privileges:I created a "basic user account" on my (VBox) Jaunty... here are the "default" privileges:basi.png

Cluttermagnet
Works now? Do a "confirmation reboot". Regarding desktop user privileges:I created a "basic user account" on my (VBox) Jaunty... here are the "default" privileges:
OK, will reboot a 2nd time. Under users and groups, betty still has no privileges checked. So I guess I had better try to check the appropriate items. I guess I could do that under clutter, so I will reboot into user clutter and try it. Edited by Cluttermagnet

So I guess I had better try to check the appropriate items. I guess I could do that under clutter, so I will reboot into user clutter and try it.
511pxkenraalikauluslaat.pngYou HAVE to do it under clutter... betty doesn't have enough metal on her collar for the job. :">

Cluttermagnet

Thanks a million, Urmas! Well, everything seems to still be working under both users. I was also successful in checking some privileges for betty and getting them to 'stick'. But anyway, she now has audio for both YouTube and mercola.com flash videos.Now I have to run- will catch up with you later. Terrific help, totally fixed my problems here, it appears. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet