Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jeber

Plan 9 from Bell LabsOther than a rather ugly desktop, this looks interesting. Seems to be a Linux/Unix based OS that fits on a floppy?? Or maybe I'm not reading that part correctly. Kind of odd registration process, but it looks to be a free download. Optional software is downloaded separately. Has anyone any experience with this?

;) Sorry, no experience with it, I just happened to be reading up on this and a lot of other distributed OS related stuff. If I wasn't so old I'd try to do a University course for computer science because I think you need a degree to understand a lot of it. I'll keep plugging away at it though, I'm not known for giving up on anything.

If you like text mode only processing, go ahead and try it. But it is way different than you have ever tried before. They don't recommend to use the X11 system. The stated that it is old and very klunky. It is a whole different operating system to learn all over again. You would need more than one machine, since the other ones are used like dumb terminals. And there is hardware that Bell Labs uses, which is not common to the rest of us, because it is expensive. This OS was meant to run seamlessly on any platform in your network. I would not recommend it for a small home system. They give you only a week to implement the entire thing, or you have to start the installation from scratch again. I believe that they use this system in conjunction with their AIX mainframe. ;)

I've heard of it a couple of years back. Just did a bit of Googling and found out that is a UNIX-like operating system developed by Bell Labs in the late 1980s. It's a true multiuser operating system in that it was designed for a client/server network with the server hosting the operating system and the clients are basically dumb terminals.