"Government Users Start Looking Under Linux Hood"

BillD

Here is an interesting discussion of why Linux has not received the attention, thus far, that it deserves by governmental organizations. Unfortunately, I think the writer may be correct to a significant extent.

I think that it also reflects on the relative (in)competence of both governmental and private company IT personnel. However, I believe this problem is particularly true of governmental organizations at all levels (at least in the U.S.), from what I have observed at the local level. From what I have seen, small companies with aggressive management are more likely to try Linux than the larger, more "political" type organizations. In large organizations, if you "stick you neck out" you are frequently prone to lose your head if something does not go perfectly smoothly, so why take the chance?Bill Edited by BillD

Cluttermagnet
Here is an interesting discussion of why Linux has not received the attention, thus far, that it deserves by governmental organizations. Unfortunately, I think the writer may be correct to a significant extent...
Ouch! That "open sore" comment at the very end was telling. Everyone is 'chicken' in those big corporate- type environments, including government. Not many want to stick their necks out. Still, if Linux has real value, it will slowly make inroads, and that is what the interviewees are saying in the article. Give it time, give it time...
Rather than disrupting operations with changes, users are migrated to Linux when their old workstation's warranty expires. Given that they're receiving a brand new computer in the process, the change is typically accepted eagerly, and some users have even made the transition to Ubuntu on their own existing systems so their computers would run faster.Linux Picked in Gendarmerie Lineup
Ya got to love it... B) Edited by Cluttermagnet