Strange e-mail error message (Thunderbird)

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

I have a friend who uses Thunderbird (I have no idea if the problem is specific to that program) and some times when she sends mail she gets the error message below. She has multiple accounts that she's accessing and using via Thunderbird. Any idea what's wrong and/or how to fix it? From our end everything does seem to be setup correctly..."An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 6sm164427ywp.24. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

The STARTTLS command is usually needed by the gmail account for sending (smtp), (port 587 or 465); That also means Authentication is needed. If it is indeed a gmail account we're talking about here, google has several docs available how to set up the different mailers correctly. BTW: are we talking about Windows or linux?

telecomguy9

Thanks for the quick response. We're talking about Windows. I'm not sure which account this is happening on. She has several accounts setup in Thunderbird. One or two from her ISP, a couple of Gmail, and another one or two. My understanding is that it's possible to use Gmail's smtp servers for outgoing use regardless of the account - whether it's a Gmail account or a totally different account. Is that right? If she were using Gmail's smtp servers to send out email from a non-Gmail account could that be causing the problem?

Thanks for the quick response. We're talking about Windows. I'm not sure which account this is happening on. She has several accounts setup in Thunderbird. One or two from her ISP, a couple of Gmail, and another one or two. My understanding is that it's possible to use Gmail's smtp servers for outgoing use regardless of the account - whether it's a Gmail account or a totally different account. Is that right? If she were using Gmail's smtp servers to send out email from a non-Gmail account could that be causing the problem?
AFAIK you are not allowed by any ISP to send out mail through another ISP's account, it's called 'relaying'. I would make clear which accounts she has at what ISP's, what the respective settings for each account should be, to get an answer which one needs indeed STARTTLS. One example I already gave is gmail, but only she knows what other accounts need it too. To be clear: she can not for example send an email by gmail using say a gmx account, gmail wouldn't let her do that for obvious reasons. (relaying)

You're welcome. If you need further help, I have an account which uses TLS and STARTTLS and three other accounts.

V.T. Eric Layton

According to my T-bird/Gmail settings: Account Settings --> Gmail --> Server Settings --> Secure Settings (2nd option from top) --> SSL should be checked... nothing else.