XP Pro & 128 bit WEP key

nerbe

I have enabled 128 bit WEP on my wireless Linksys Access Point Router. The resultant key is 25 characters in length, which is 3 more than XP will accept (Wireless Network Properties/Preferred networks/click on SSID in available networks/clear "the key is provided to me automatically"/attempt to paste key in box). I then get this error message (guess someone didn't proofread it/I've copied it exactly): "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters." I have also updated XP and all drivers.I am using a Toshiba Portege 2000 and XP Pro. It was working fine (with built-in wireless adapter) before I trashed the registry (doing something else) and had to reinstall XP Pro. Don't remember how I entered the WEP key previously and neither Linksys nor Toshiba have been able to provide a working suggestion. I have two other machines working wirelessly (98 SE and XP Home) with the 128 bit WEP key.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if this will help or not, nerbe, but it helped me when I was unable to enter the 128-bit WEP security key on my Dell notebook to match the one that I had entered in on the router. :D Somebody else gave me these steps:In WinXP right-click on My ComputerGo to ManageIn the left window click the + sign in front of Services and Applications and make it a minusClick on ServicesLook in the right window for Wireless Zero ConfigurationIt should be set to Started and have a startup type of AutomaticHowever, my WEP security key is 26 characters, using only numbers and the letters A through F, as instructed by the Base Station Management Tool which governs the configuration of my MS Broadband wireless router. You said your key is 25 characters. I'm afraid I don't know how these things are determined - by the router or the software or Windows or what? :D Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestion Glen.My wireless zero configuration was set up as you described. I am able to network to the other computers through the wireless access point router using the Portege by ethernet cable connection, just can't do it wirelessly.I think I'll trash the existing wireless network connection and re-do it from scratch.

Problem solved!! It was cockpit error. My 128 bit WEP key is 26 characters, not 25 as previously stated.Now everything works .... really feel stupid.