A Linux Poll

teacher

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious... what's "Vector"?
daihard, . . . . let me add a few notes too . . . VectorLinux is one of my all time favorites, comes with a very special edition of the Midnight Commander that makes installing packages easy as pie, you can install RedHat RPM´s, Debian .deb, and Slackware .tgz packages with it, and Vector does not mind where they come from. Also it has an easy config tool ¨VASM¨ that makes configuring your mouse, screen, internet connection, X and many more things so much easier than in Slackware. Yet it has the same rock-solid stability as Slackware.There is a small verion of 225 MB ( good for dial-up users ) and a more complete SOHO version ( 700 MB ) They both have X but the small one has IceWM as default Window Manager, the SOHO has KDE 3.1 and IceWM and Fluxbox.Both 3.2 versions are very suitable for older hardware ( choice between XF336 and XF421 ), the new version ( only in RC at the moment ) has only the new XF so would be a bit harder to run on old systems.Just give it a try if you have disk space or an old computer to spare. B);) Bruno

Wow that is really something - so far 10 have said they started using linux because of this forum. I guess the next poll question could be is Why didn't you try it before seeing the forum? I know this forum makes it seem truely comfortable to go ahead and try it and having the support is nice. I know my first install was RedHat 3, I believe, when it first came out and I got it up and running without any problems, but back than they were only 1 CD two at the most and you don't get the packages like you do now. Linux has come a long ways that is for sure.

KellyIt is really quite simple. If it is not on your radar screen, sometimes you just don't see it. I was not really even aware of it. I mean I had heard of Unix a lot (probably the military background - I think that is what our mainframes were in the lab) but just had not heard of Linux. It took the forum to bring it to my attention. I don't know why all my windows magazines and others just did not tell me about it!

I don't know why all my windows magazines and others just did not tell me about it!
Probably because they were Windows magazines! <_<

don't know why all my windows magazines and others just did not tell me about it!
Magazines are how i found out about it. I used to read every computer news story i could get my hands on (for my website, which i have gotten lazy on. I really need to set up Movable Type or something because it's just too much work the way i'm doing it now).I have tons of RSS feeds set up in windows, to get the stories and headlines from every computer site i could think of.BTW, does anyone know of a good RSS feed reader for linux. I know Evolution does it, but that's not really the kind of set up i'm looking for.

BTW, does anyone know of a good RSS feed reader for linux. I know Evolution does it, but that's not really the kind of set up i'm looking for.
Sonic,You didn't like the RSS Reader extension for Firebird?

That's weird.  I have voted more than 30 times myself. :P
Maybe each time you voted it removed a vote! I am not surprised at the percentage that have learned right here though! :D