IE 8 to be released today

striker

Am Donnerstag, 19.3 ab vorraussichtlich 17 Uhr deutscher Zeit wird der Internet Explorer 8 zum Download bereitstehen.
Translated: Today, Thursday March 19, IE8 will be available for download, from approx. 05.00PM German Time.source (German): http://www.pcwelt.de/start/software_os/onl...date/index.htmlTranslation into English: http://74.125.79.132/translate_c?hl=en&amp..._bD5Vvao84BPm7w

Hi all!I downloaded it and tried to install it on my wife's XP machine (only) but during the installation I get the following message;

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic library SHLWAPI.dll
Oh well!!She is starting to use FF anyway since her Netscape is having problems visiting some sites. When I am on her machine I use IE only to run TVonmyPC.So I downloaded it again ( on XP in my Virtual Box ) and when I tried installing it I got the same message. 2 different machines, 2 different downloads except that neither of them have SP2 could that be the problem? As I said earlier it's not a big deal since we wouldn't use it much anyway, if at all. I would just have wanted to look at it. Edited by réjean

Not having SP2 is probably the problem.

One common source of that error is the lack of SP2 or all Windows Critical Updates.
is one answer I found.

I got it here striker.And as I suspected lacking SP2 is the reason I cannot install IE8. Not a great loss. Thanks for the confirmation Liz.

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread.-- Forum Admins & Moderators

Better wait until the first 'succesful install' messages get in. Then see what the problems are. If nothing out of the ordinary go ahead.@réjean : sorry to hear that.

Just realized I had played with IE8 ( although as a beta ) in win 7 ( also in beta ) and I didn't like it ( well I never liked or really used IE anyway ).Wow! what a list of release notes. So it works but not really. It is stable but not. It works fine but there might be all these problems. As I said " thanks but no thanks ".

For those wanting to prevent IE8 shoved down the throat:Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

This Blocker Toolkit is intended for organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 8 to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is enabled. The Blocker Toolkit will not expire.

Hello,I installed it on a computer running Microsoft Windows Vista x86, and another running Windows Vista x64. No major problems noted: One web forum I visit has some text in their banner offset a little weirdly.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,I installed it on a computer running Microsoft Windows Vista x86, and another running Windows Vista x64. No major problems noted: One web forum I visit has some text in their banner offset a little weirdly.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
That's most likely because IE8 defaults to compatibility mode rather than standards mode as originally planned by Microsoft. The website in question may be triggering Quirks Mode for HTML rendering.