Arch Linux - a distro collector’s pick

securitybreach

securitybreach
Are you tired of frequent seeking or all these mega-piles of CDs constantly growing on your desktop? Is there any place left out there? Do you really need to wait another six months to update your software or get the feature you expect? Well, what I want to tell you is that there is a solution! Let me introduce to you, Arch Linux.
http://polishlinux.org/linux/arch-linux-a-...ollectors-pick/Even though I have used Archlinux for quite awhile, I thought this was a very good informative article and a nice read.Thanks

securitybreach
Downloading ftp iso now!What was your experience?
Excellent!!! I have been running it for the last year. I normally use the Core iso myself-only 311MB. As long as you follow this guide http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide you will not have a problem. The Beginner's Guide will walk you through installation and setup. It is extremely quick and you can build the system how you see fit. No need to remove those pesky programs you do not need/want from an installation. If you like KDE, they have an excellent customized version of KDE just for Arch called KDEmod. It follows the normal releases but it is beautified. I personally run Openbox with GTK libs, no KDE or Gnome.THanks Edited by securitybreach

Excellent!!! I have been running it for the last year. I normally use the Core iso myself-only 311MB. As long as you follow this guide http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide you will not have a problem. The Beginner's Guide will walk you through installation and setup. It is extremely quick and you can build the system how you see fit. No need to remove those pesky programs you do not need/want from an installation. If you like KDE, they have an excellent customized version of KDE just for Arch called KDEmod. It follows the normal releases but it is beautified. I personally run Openbox with GTK libs, no KDE or Gnome.THanks
I have read the guide quite a few times I will probably do a test run in VirtualBox just to sort out any little problems I come across.

Arch is a distro I definitely look forward to trying, but I still think it would take a team of wild horses to drag me from Debian. The installation is similar to Debian's netinstall and config is similar too. I think Sidux gives you that rolling release with current package versions, but also has its vigilant developer team to soften the chance of new packages messing stuff up. For example, KDE 4.2 is now in Debian experimental repo, but is only moving to Sid as devs test and fix any issues. Eagerly awaiting that!Some members of Linux Audio Users mailing list are successfully using Arch for music creation using real-time kernels, which is a great recommendation. :) The mailing list is full of posts from users with RT problems on Ubuntu et al.One of these days......... :hysterical: B)

Update!Have to say the ftp install and file configuration phase went without a hitch. :bye2: After spending sometime reading and taking notes it took just about 15 mins to run through config files.Overnight did a install of the KDEmod package everything installed successfully. :) Alsaconf detects the soundcard but in alsamixer I can't raise the volumes from zero :) Secondly and more importantly I login to what looks like a really nice KDE desktop but mouse and keyboard do not work. It maybe related to hotplugging. :unsure: Anyways can't say it was as difficult as I thought it would be the guide is long but that's because it's thorough and except for the two items above most things went exactly as indicated in the guide.A really beneficial learning experience. :o Thanks

securitybreach

Hmm not for sure about the keyboard/mouse issue. DId the keyboard work in virtual terminal before startx? I will look around and see what I can find. Also, did you skip and of the Xorg steps?

B: Input hotpluggingInput hotplugging is enabled in the 1.5.x series of the xorg-server package, which is now included in the extra repo. When input hotplugging is enabled, X will purge any devices setup in xorg.conf that are using the kbd and mouse driver.Note: This may result in X appearing to freeze and result in your not being able to move your mouse or use your keyboard.There are two options to correct this(Choose Only one of them):1) Configure input hotplugging by installing the xf86-input-evdev driver and configuring HAL to use the kbd/mouse drivers.Install xf86-input-evdev:# pacman -S xf86-input-evdevStart the hal daemon before anything related to X.Org is started:# /etc/rc.d/hal startAdd the hal daemon to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf to start it at every boot. See the article on Xorg input hotplugging for full details.Note: To start hal there must be a dbus user and group: To do so enter the following commands as root 1. /usr/sbin/groupadd -g 81 dbus 2. /usr/sbin/useradd -c 'System message bus' -u 81 -g dbus -d '/' -s /bin/false dbus
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginn..._3:_Configure_XAlso, is hal and fam in the daemons list in the daemons section of the /etc/rc.conf file?? KDE and most everything else depends on this. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide#KDEBTW is it a desktop or laptop? I ask this because my keyboard/mouse worked OOTB and it is usb/wireless powered.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Hmm not for sure about the keyboard/mouse issue. DId the keyboard work in virtual terminal before startx? I will look around and see what I can find. Also, did you skip and of the Xorg steps? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginn..._3:_Configure_XAlso, is hal and fam in the daemons list in the daemons section of the /etc/rc.conf file?? KDE depends on this. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide#KDEBTW is it a desktop or laptop? I ask this because my keyboard/mouse worked OOTB and it is usb/wireless powered.Thanks
One problem solved :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Unless I missed it :bye2: didn't notice fam mentioned for KDE but for XFCE anyways did a test install of XFCE4 and it worked and then switching to kdm with fam enabled worked :o :) :unsure: Thanks much. Now onto the second issue sound. :)

securitybreach

I always use the Fam daemon since "The fam daemon will allow real-time representation of file alterations in the GUI, allowing instant access to recently installed programs, or changes in the file system"and also here is my daemons line:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond @alsa @hal @fam @sensors @mpd @mpdscribble @gpm @sshd)

The @ backgrounds the task making for a much quicker boot. Is alsa in your daemon's list before hal? I dunno I remember that being a issue for some people in the forums. If not add it then

/etc/rc.d/alsa start

as root.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

I always use the Fam daemon since "The fam daemon will allow real-time representation of file alterations in the GUI, allowing instant access to recently installed programs, or changes in the file system"and also here is my daemons line:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond @alsa @hal @fam @sensors @mpd @mpdscribble @gpm @sshd)

The @ backgrounds the task making for a much quicker boot. Is alsa in your daemon's list before hal? I dunno I remember that being a issue for some people in the forums. If not add it then

/etc/rc.d/alsa start

as root.Thanks

Alsa is in rc.conf and it is running. I installed Arch in VirtualBox Sound Driver Alsa and Controller ICH AC97. lsmod|grep '^snd'
snd_seq_oss			31872  0snd_seq_midi_event	  8192  1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq				49968  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_seq_device		  8204  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seqsnd_pcm_oss			40192  0snd_mixer_oss		  16512  1 snd_pcm_osssnd_pcsp			   11048  0snd_intel8x0		   30876  0snd_ac97_codec		102308  1 snd_intel8x0snd_pcm				70020  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcsp,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codecsnd_timer			  21384  2 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd					50852  10 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcsp,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timersnd_page_alloc		 10120  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

ls -l /dev/snd

total 0crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 2009-03-18 10:11 controlC0crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-03-18 10:11 controlC1crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-03-18 10:11 pcmC0D0ccrw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-03-18 10:32 pcmC0D0pcrw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-03-18 10:11 pcmC0D1ccrw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-03-18 10:11 pcmC1D0pcrw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 2009-03-18 10:11 seqcrw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-03-18 10:11 timer

I can launch alsamixer I just can't adjust the volumes either way. I am thinking that maybe the module is not loaded or at least not loaded properly.

Update 2:New problem getting the following when trying to mount cdrom to install virtualbox Guest Additions

"org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)."

I kept a snapshot just of the base install maybe I should try this afresh. With KDE from Arch repositories.

Thanks for the link.Anyways doesn't seem that building this in Virtualbox was the way to go reinstalled KDE and booted nicely however system locked up right after anyways back to the drawing board.I think am going to start over from scratch. Maybe I missed a thing or two. B)

securitybreach

Yeah you must of missed something. I have never had a lockup in Arch---no matter which WM or DE I run. Of course, I have never done a virtualbox installation either. I would not think it would matter though.Thanks and good luck

V.T. Eric Layton

Talking about Arch Linux reminds me of Louis (Steel). What ever happened to him? He hasn't been around here since 25th December 2007 - 03:14 AM. I remember that Louis was very knowledgeable and helpful when I first started playing around with Arch.

securitybreach

Yeah I was wondering that also. He is the one who got me interested in Arch to begin with. I never heard about arch before I noticed he gave a link in his signature. Now I have been using it for about a year. Wow its been longer than that I registered at archlinux.org back in 2007-11-18. Time flies when you are having fun.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

I've found over the years that time flies even when you're not having fun... if you're over 40. B)

Yeah I was wondering that also. He is the one who got me interested in Arch to begin with. I never heard about arch before I noticed he gave a link in his signature. Now I have been using it for about a year. Wow its been longer than that I registered at archlinux.org back in 2007-11-18. Time flies when you are having fun.Thanks
Are you using Arch on a laptop or desktop?

2 Desktops, a laptop, and a Eeepc 701.If it is laptop-related problems your having, this helped me greatly:http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LaptopThanks
I use a Dell Inspiron 9400 I can get virtually any distro to run on it. However suspend and resume functions has been truly a horror story. Thinking it might be more possible on a distro like arch. Have you tried or had success configuring these on arch?

securitybreach
I use a Dell Inspiron 9400 I can get virtually any distro to run on it. However suspend and resume functions has been truly a horror story. Thinking it might be more possible on a distro like arch. Have you tried or had success configuring these on arch?
Yup no problems on my Toshiba Satellite A105-S114 or my Eeepc 701 4G. I use suspend, hibernate, and resume with no issues.Thanks Edited by securitybreach