XP-Linux comparision on my laptop

jolphil

Hi all,I installed Mandriva 2009 on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and for the most part Ican do everything I need to do in Mandriva that I could with WinXP..With that said.. I did notice a few comparisons that I would like to share to see if anyone has any insight on the following.Prior to installing Mandriva on a fresh Hard drive I did a CPU-Z test while in windows, and muchto my surprise I found that the CPU speed was around 550mhz while in an idle situation and went to the rated 1.4 Ghz under load conditions..I reconed(southern US slang for thought hehe) that the operating system win XP must be talking to the Bios to save power drain in battery powered conditions.. After installing Mandriva I noticed that the CPU fan cycled on and off much more than it did Beforeand while Mandriva is on battery it seemed the battery would run out much more quickly than it did..Not only that, when in Mandrive and when the battery was drained it would simply cut off..No warning no seeming orderly shutdown..My suspicion is that the CPU is running at full 1.4 Ghz at all times and this is why the above conditions are present..This leads me to a question, is there any power saving packages that is available for Mandriva for laptop use?Thanks for reading this and any insight would be helpful and appreciated..jolphil

Yep, both for KDE and Gnome. However while I'm not at linux at the moment I 'm not 100% sure with names of the packages.But you could have a look in MCC > Software, have a look or search for powersave, or maybe it was called kpowersave.Also look for packages with the name battery, power and so on.IIRC in the days back when I was using 2008.1 (aka Spring) I used (k)powersave on my notebook. Don't forget to also have a look at the screensaver settings, both of them (screensaver settings and kpowersave) interacted with each other. Setting the wrong setting did put out the screensaver completely and vice versa, until I grasped how they were interacting. :thumbsup:

Yep, both for KDE and Gnome. However while I'm not at linux at the moment I 'm not 100% sure with names of the packages.But you could have a look in MCC > Software, have a look or search for powersave, or maybe it was called kpowersave.Also look for packages with the name battery, power and so on.IIRC in the days back when I was using 2008.1 (aka Spring) I used (k)powersave on my notebook. Don't forget to also have a look at the screensaver settings, both of them (screensaver settings and kpowersave) interacted with each other. Setting the wrong setting did put out the screensaver completely and vice versa, until I grasped how they were interacting. :thumbsup:
Man,you are right on the button..At this moment I am installing kpowersave...Thanksjolphil

Depending on the KDE desktop you use: for KDE3 it's called kpowersave and for kde4 it's called kde4powersave ;)It's a graeat little applet next to the clock with loads of different settings for battery and for cpu scaling . . I use it on my EeePC.B) Bruno