Shopping for a DVD Burner

DarkSerge

Hello!I'm shopping around for a DVD Burner. I don't have one. Any recommendations? Brands to avoid?Right now I have a CD Burner and a DVD-ROM. I was thinking of replacing the DVD ROM with the burner. I guess it doesn't really matter which one I replace since many modern DVD burners burn both. Good or bad to have two burners or does it not matter? On the more technical side, the drives are on the same IDE line (Master is CD-RW and slave is DVD-ROM.) Anything to keep in mind with that?I'm not looking for a SATA drive, I have one SATA port open in my computer and I'm saving that for another hard drive.This is for my own computer.

Don't get a Sony.While mine's a dependable piece, some of the speed specs are capped (ripping, writing, etc.) grr...My understanding is that Lite-On devices are pretty good and not choked.

Good old Newegg!That's where I plan on buying my burner from. I was thinking about an LG that they have a free shipping offer on and was reading a bunch of reviews this morning before I posted this thread.

I wanted something cheap so I bought an OEM NEC. OEM means it doesn't come with a CD or DVD with software and no manual. Yikes, I now see Sony owns NEC. Don't buy a NEC/Sony!I googled the specific model just to see if there were lots of complaints. There weren't.I downloaded the "manual" 2-4 pages from the internet and I got an updated driver on the internet.I wouldn't say I do a huge amount of burning but it has worked well to burn the CDs and DVDs I use. Whatever model you consider, google it to see if it is dependable. If you have burning software already, you can get an OEM model and save some money.

Hello!I'm shopping around for a DVD Burner. I don't have one. Any recommendations? Brands to avoid?Right now I have a CD Burner and a DVD-ROM. I was thinking of replacing the DVD ROM with the burner. I guess it doesn't really matter which one I replace since many modern DVD burners burn both. Good or bad to have two burners or does it not matter? On the more technical side, the drives are on the same IDE line (Master is CD-RW and slave is DVD-ROM.) Anything to keep in mind with that?I'm not looking for a SATA drive, I have one SATA port open in my computer and I'm saving that for another hard drive.This is for my own computer.
It probably depends on personal experience, but I really like the NEC 4551-A model - so much so that I bought a 2nd one when I built my gaming rig this past spring. It is coupled with a SATA DVD-RW Pioneer burner - another brand name that is regarded very highly amongst "burner freaks". Sony may own NEC, but if you look on CD Burners Freak forums, NEC burners are actually regarded as very solid/reliable burners by many of the members. I've been using this NEC model now for more than 2 years and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've burned tons of movies, DVDs, data, music files, and it's still going strong *knock on wood*.In actuality, brand name will not matter if all you're doing is burning files (such as mp3s; personal data; etc). I've surmised that by reading the CD burner freaks forum over the years, it seems like to me that they all perform reliably these days. Where (brand name) matters most is if you're planning on doing lots of CD or DVD cloning. Or copying copy-write protected media such as game CDs or commercial movie DVDs. Different models handle the encryption differently. Edited by Tushman

The main use of the drive will be to burn files onto data discs for storage/backup, mostly being backups of my photography.Are there any technical issues to worry about with having two burners on the same IDE line or anything like that? I'll probably end up keeping the CD burner and pulling the DVD-ROM. I could pull both and still get all I need from the one drive really. So it probably in the end doesn't matter.

P.S.: having two (2) DVD burners will let you more quickly and easily direct-copy CD's/DVD's for back-up purposes ... you won't have to go through first ripping/copying to the HDD. :rolleyes:

I'll probably pull my CD burner and replace it with the DVD burner and keep it on master. I was going to keep both burners, but if I keep the DVD-ROM then I can copy any disc to the burner from drive to drive. I was thinking about keeping the CD burner and having two burners, but then I realized that way I can't direct copy a DVD if needed (it'd have to rip to the HD first.) This way the DVD-ROM would be the source drive for any disc copy.

I'll probably pull my CD burner and replace it with the DVD burner and keep it on master. I was going to keep both burners, but if I keep the DVD-ROM then I can copy any disc to the burner from drive to drive. I was thinking about keeping the CD burner and having two burners, but then I realized that way I can't direct copy a DVD if needed (it'd have to rip to the HD first.) This way the DVD-ROM would be the source drive for any disc copy.
If you're planning on doing disc to disc copies, it would be adviseable to install the optical drives on separate IDE channels so that the computer can stream data. If you put them on the same channel, the system has to alternate between read and write procedures. At best it will slow the overall copying procedure and at worst it will cause buffer underruns. Some CD/DVD burning software offer buffer underrun protection but not all of them.This is not a critical matter at all. But if you're planning on doing lots of disc-to-disc copying, it's definitely the best choice to make.

Nah, I don't really plan on doing disc-to-disc copies very often. Once in a while maybe, but normally I won't really have the need for that. The main purpose is for file backup and storage. Some batches are going on multiple CDs when they'd just fit on one DVD.

Edited by DarkSerge

Hello,I have had good results with LG and Samsung DVD±RW DL optical disc drives. I am not sure if it is an issue for you, but I always purchase DVD drives that can create DVD-RAM discs for long term archival storage. Also, be sure to check the manufacturer's support web site after you have installed your new drive(s). They often update the firmware with support for additional brands and speeds of recordable media as well as for compatibility with DVD movies.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

LG, use them for years. They are solid and perform very well. I have both internal DVD burners and an external DVD burner, also LG. I also have one in the other rig with LightSCribe capabilities, also works OK. The latter one I don't use with linux when it comes to LightScribe, it's in another machine which does not have linux, the others just work well in linux too. As a last resort I could use LiteOn, have used them too previously and they worked OK, but LG imo tends to last longer. YMMV.

You should also make sure you use an 80 wire IDE cable.I found these discussions interesting. Using a brand for many years is not indicative of how current ones will work. So many things change from year to year. The Renesas chipset that the older LG's used was great, superior to the cheaper Mediatek one that Lite-on uses. I bought a new Lite-on, the DH20A4P, as it was supposed to be a BenQ (bought by Lite-on). Unfortunately although the BenQ's were fine well built drives this one has been Lite-Onized, cheap build quality, flimsy and extremely noisy. I'm surprised no one mentioned Pioneer. My current one, the 115D is one of the best drives I've owned. Superior in almost all ways to the Lite-on I have. Better build quality, less noisy and superior video and audio burning. The Lite-on is a good reader though, it can handle discs with minor damage better than the Pioneer.

The main purpose is for file backup and storage.
To the OP. Good discs make a difference. There are only a few actual manufacturers. Someone could buy Maxell, Philips, Memorex, HP, Imation, and TDK and in actuality be buying the same discs... all made by CMC, not the best choice.For all purposes, longevity, write quality and compatibility these are a great and reasonably priced option.http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...-media-200.html

I'm surprised no one mentioned Pioneer.
I agree -- Pioneers do make some good models. See my above post. :thumbsup:
It is coupled with a SATA DVD-RW Pioneer burner - another brand name that is regarded very highly amongst "burner freaks".
Taiyo Yudens are extremely pricey and that link for DVDs that burn at 8x? Although they are high quality, I would prefer to stick to 18x media. Have you ever tried Verbatims? Much less expensive and good quality. Edited by Tushman

I agree -- Pioneers do make some good models. See my above post. ;)Taiyo Yudens are extremely pricey and that link for DVDs that burn at 8x? Although they are high quality, I would prefer to stick to 18x media. Have you ever tried Verbatims? Much less expensive and good quality.
The Taiyo's are only 30¢ a piece, when on sale they can be had for about 26¢. The Verbs I've seen are always considerably more expensive. Yes I've used Verbs, but they also tend to jump around from various manufacturers and country of origin (Taiwan, Shanghai, India). The other advantage of the TYG02's (other than the consistency from year to year, batch to batch from the Japanese plant) is that they work well in almost any burner, new and old. A plus for those who are scared to update firmware. Many folks with older burners find that the new 16X media does not work at any speed.My Pioneer 115D burns the TYG02's at 12X (fast enough) with excellent results, actually better than any media/burner combos I've ever used.Here's a Quality Scan of a 12X burn (note I use my BenQ as the Pioneer doesn't support the scans).4900666.jpgBut for those who buy locally and like to chase sales (I'm not driving to BestBuy to wade through the crowds, stand in line, and also pay sales tax), I do recommend Verbatim.

The Taiyo's are only 30¢ a piece, when on sale they can be had for about 26¢. The Verbs I've seen are always considerably more expensive.
The higher price may be attributable to the fact that you are comparing 8x (Taiyo) with 16x (Verbatim). What happens when you compare Taiyos and Verbatims at the same speed (16x)? Personally I've never had any problems with finding good bargains on 16x Verbatims without having to jump through hoops and fighting through crowds at Worst Buy - eer.... Best Buy I mean. ;)One time I bought some for $11 and the 2nd batch of 100-pack spindle I purchased was approx $25.00 online at Buy.com.
My Pioneer 115D burns the TYG02's at 12X (fast enough) with excellent results, actually better than any media/burner combos I've ever used.Here's a Quality Scan of a 12X burn (note I use my BenQ as the Pioneer doesn't support the scans).
I get similar results with my NEC 4551 using Verbatims burning at 16x.
But for those who buy locally and like to chase sales (I'm not driving to BestBuy to wade through the crowds, stand in line, and also pay sales tax), I do recommend Verbatim.
Do you have a merchant that you get good deals from on 16x Taiyos? For the vast majority of my burning purposes, I refuse to burn 8x.... that's too slow for me.Edit:Nevermind, I see that the website you linked to (Supermediastore) currently has 16x on sale right now for $32. That's a pretty good deal on those Taiyos -- I have no need for them at the moment as I have 80+ left in the 100-pack spindle that I purchased -- but I've bookmarked it for future reference. Definitely good to know. Can you recommend the merchant? Have you had any personal dealings with them? Edited by Tushman

I like SuperMediaStore. Get on their mailing list so you know when things are popping. I just bought 300 TYG02's from them for $79. I don't use or recommend the 16X TY's as they don't have all the pros that I attributed to the 8X... near perfect compatibility with all burners regardless of age, for one. Also in the past the scans have not been as good as the 8X. The difference in burn times is only about a minute in my Pioneer.

so now that i have a burner, tell me about +R and -R formats. Which one is best for file storage and backup? Which one is best for distributing to others? (I do photography so when someone models for me I'll burn them a DVD of all the pictures.)

so now that i have a burner, tell me about +R and -R formats. Which one is best for file storage and backup? Which one is best for distributing to others? (I do photography so when someone models for me I'll burn them a DVD of all the pictures.)
There is no discernable difference as far as burning regular data/ picture files. Either one will be fine for you. However, the -R format is slightly better for burning video files because you can change the booktype setting with the burning software. (It does help in certain situations if you have an older DVD player or DVD-ROM in your computer and you're trying to play burned DVD movie files).For more detailed information on what I just posted, check out the following links:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_formathttp://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Increased-...DVD-bitsetting/http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php Edited by Tushman

Either one will be fine for you. However, the -R format is slightly better for burning video files because you can change the booktype setting with the burning software.
I assume you meant to say +R (plus). Bitsetting of SL+R's just brings them almost to the compatibility level of -R. That said, newer players should work with either.

I assume you meant to say +R (plus). Bitsetting of SL+R's just brings them almost to the compatibility level of -R. That said, newer players should work with either.
No, what I said was correct. The booktype setting is hard coded into the +R format which is why I recommend the -R for those who plan on playing their burned video files in older DVD players.

No, what I said was correct. The booktype setting is hard coded into the +R format which is why I recommend the -R for those who plan on playing their burned video files in older DVD players.
Booktype changes or bitsetting can only be done with +R media. Some burners, but not all, can change the booktype to DVD-ROM. They are setting a bit to fool players into thinking it's a pressed DVD. It is not hard coded. My Pioneer cannot bitset/booktype +R SL 4.7g discs. Many burners, Lite-on and BenQ to name two, provide bitsetting utilities and apps like Nero and ImgBurn can also be used, but only with burners that have this ability. The link you provided spelled this out.From your link:BookType BitSetting FAQ How to Guide to set DVD+R/+R DL/RW to DVD-ROMYour statement:
However, the -R format is slightly better for burning video files because you can change the booktype setting with the burning software.
Is incorrect. You cannot change the booktype of any -R (minus) media. I do prefer -R for 4.7G Single Layer discs, but not for the reason you stated.

Macs tend to work better with -R, correct? A friend of mine has a Mac and requested only -R discs, plus the studio I work for has a spindle of -R discs for Macs as well (everything else we do on +R.) I have a PC.