98 updates for Mint 5

laan97ac

Hey all,so great to have this can't-linux-without forum back.I am on Mint 5 and happy apart from flash and Java problems with the new FF3. I am not the only one judging from the Ubuntu forums.Today, after having run Mint 5 for about 1 months, I got 98 updates available. Great... but do they always come in such huge clusters?Cheers

Ok.As said I suffer from Java problems on FF3, but those problems seem to relate more to FF3 than a specific distro.Would it be easy to revert back to FF2?Could I just do that via synaptic? what would happen to bookmarks etc.?

what would happen to bookmarks etc.?
I don't know about Mint, but in PCLos, you find your identity (a string of alpha numeric characters with no apparent meaning, in the Firefox folder) under .mozilla/firefox and open the Firefox folder and simply save "Bookmarks.html" to flash drive or whatever. Then you can put the bookmarks.html back into what ever identity you have later (if it changes). This is also a good way to put your bookmarks on more than one computer if you want. Bruno's scheme of installing Firefox just as Firefox rather than as mozilla/firefox may be the way it is set up in Mint; I don't know, but it will be in your home directory one way or the other.Bill Edited by BillD

Would it be easy to revert back to FF2?Could I just do that via synaptic?
Depends if Mint still has the FF2 package in their repositories, in that case synaptics would be the tool . . . you could also wait for a java update.
what would happen to bookmarks etc.?
Your bookmarks are safe . . . nothing will happen to them even if you un-install FFB) Bruno

and leave your .mozilla directory alone, otherwise they're gone. ;) (Better to export the bookmarks to say a USB stick of SD card, the result will be a bookmarks.html file which you can import everywhere on every system. :thumbsup: )

(Better to export the bookmarks to say a USB stick of SD card, the result will be a bookmarks.html file which you can import everywhere on every system.)
Yes, you can export and import them, but I have found it much easier (and more reliable) to simply copy the bookmarks.html folder. When I have exported, or imported, I find that they are not necessarily arranged the same as they were in the first place . . . ;) Now maybe, that is just a fluke, but you can avoid it by doing the copy thing.Bill

Yes, you're right, but you have to put them in the right order first and then export them, because most people never did that before. So then they come asking how to back up their bookmarks ... BTW: I use one bookmarks.html file from a frequently updated SD card to import the bookmarks in every distro, never had any problem whatsoever with the order in which they appear, it's all the same on all distros.

thanx as always guys, while waiting for a java update, I will try FF2, it is in the mint repositories so it is easily available.I will report if further problems,Greetings from sunny Scandinavia

Greetings from sunny Scandinavia
Oh, it's sunny alright... and not too hot either here in tropical southern Finland ;) -- it's 9AM, and 12°C (54°F).