Testing websites with Linux Browsers

cantthinkofanickname

cantthinkofanickname

I have just looked at my website using Konquerer running a Knoppix live CD. The Flash slideshows do not run and the message asks for download of the flash application. Is this because I have a live CD or perhaps Linux (if installed) will not run Flash?What Linux browsers should I be testing with?

This is because you're running a LiveCD and Flash is not installed. That said, I don't think all distros make Konqueror Flash-capable. The main Linux browsers will be Firefox and Konqueror. I think very few people use Nautilus, which is part of GNOME because a GNOME-based desktop almost always has Firefox as the default browser.

Some distros come with Flash "pre-installed", many don't. Try - for example - PCLos, Linux Mint or Mepis. Browsers? Firefox and Opera are "desktop environment neutral", Konqueror is the "KDE browser", for GNOME there is Epiphany. My experience? It's Opera that's bound to give you headaches with Flash (and Java). My favourite browser? Opera. :hysterical:

Also, it's very easy to get Flash working in Konqueror. First make sure Flash is installed for Firefox or Mozilla. The tar file from Adobe works fine. Then launch Konqueror and go into the Konqueror settings and click on plugins. Make sure it has the Mozilla plugin folder listed. If not, tell it to scan for new plugins. Then check the Plugins tab and it should be there. I just confirmed this and it works in Ubuntu, so I'm assuming it works for other distros.