The Top 10 Most Annoying Things About Software

Scot

All of the above......and software that is quite happy to tell you that you've made a mistake but can't go the extra mile and tell you how to correct that mistake. So you get to spend hours sifting throught bizarrely indexed help files that don't really help!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prelude76

• Jeber

• badcat

• RabidWolf

- Software that is written for Windows but doesn't follow common Windows standards in UI design. For instance F2 is something other than rename. Authors who don't follow standards make it that much more difficult for users and forces the user has to learn & adjust to different controls.- Authors who have no clue as to their apps resource usage. For instance, I often see apps taking huge numbers of page faults because the apps memory footprint hasn't been optimized.- Authors who keep promising an update is imminent but never deliver.- All those authors who advertise "FREE download" and then you find that the product has an xx day trial and is actually payware.- Software that doesn't look for an existing installation to find the existing folder/directory to install into. Instead, it always defaults to C:/something.- Having an author take your registration fee and then you find that they have gone out of business and you will never get an update to the app.- Authors who are unable to take constructive criticism. They view their app as their precious baby and no criticism is tolerated.- Authors who promise privacy for your email address but sell the email address anyway.

Guest LilBambi

You all have hit on a good many of my pet peeves!- programs that include third party spyware installations - programs that do shoddy uninstalls ... and particularly do not remove all the unrelated and often buggy spyware programs they installed initially ... hmmmm ... that sounds very similar to the first one :) - programs that require 'checking for updates' upon load and often allow no way to to disable it within the program.- programs that require 'checking for updates' on their time schedule rather than giving you the option of doing this on your own at a more convenient time (particularly annoying on dialup)- programs that crash and/or crash windows for no apparent reason- media players and other software/browser plugins that phone home, spy on you, track you, and make your system less secure- programs that load on boot no matter what you do to disable them - they keep making new copies of themselves in the selective startup right below or above the one you disabled on the last boot- programs that don't play well together- ISPs that customize your pre-existing copy of Internet Explorer with their name- bloated proprietary network frontends with vpn requirements that claim to be ISPs and change more system files than you can shake a stick atWow...that's ten already! Oh, well. So many annoyances, so little time ;) Have to add one more ....- politicians who think they are qualified to create bills that will affect all technology without a clue about their actual long-ranging ramifications. :)

Windows Update.Fails to install a patch, but gvies no reason why it failed or help on how to install it manually. But its icon in systray notifies me almost everyday that a new update is available.
AMEN!!!! I keep getting an update for the Virtual Machine (I'm running XP Pro).... it tries to install but comes up with an error saying it can only be installed over an existing version of VM... did this for about a week... haven't seen it for awhile though (thank goodness!)

10. Software that thinks it is the only software on Earth.9. Software that, because of # 10, doesn't play well with others, or gets into outright altercations.8. Software that must perminently link itself to other software to function (I call it wienieware).7. Almost any patch, update, upgrade or up :D , because you always have to tweak, or downright repair, everything afterwards. ;) 6. Software that demands that you ugrade by not providing patches, fixes, etc for exisitng versions, forcing you to tweak now...or reboot from your ERD later.5. Any software that uses cookies for anything. It was a nice technology in the old days, but we can't afford that on our systems now. I ran an Adaware scan 4 days ago, and one today; the scan today came up with 24 new objects, including files, paths and registry keys. :D 4. Software whose trial or free versions are so attenuated that you really can't try them.3. Big, leaky, stumbling software that makes your AMD Athelon run like a Pentium 1. ;) 2. The almost complete lack of tech support in the software industry; I resent being asked to solve their problems.1. The complete lack of inventiveness in the software industry...I miss the 90's. :D

I guess I should have got here earlier, you guys hit just about everything. Can't say I disagree with any of it either! Netscape drives me nuts with all the AOL junk it insists on installing, and we've already ripped Real anything for being extra sneaky. I guess I don't like any software that makes me spend the next hour killing it's unwanted side effects and re-booting countless times to eradicate it all. I also dislike stuff that wants to use your internet connection when it has no reason to. When I look at some peoples pcs, I can't believe the amount of stuff that's running in the tray, and they usually don't have any idea how it got there! Thank heavens there are places like this to help us keep our 'puters lean and mean! :) Chris

When I look at some peoples pcs, I can't believe the amount of stuff that's running in the tray, and they usually don't have any idea how it got there! Thank heavens there are places like this to help us keep our 'puters lean and mean! :) Chris
I work for a computer repair company, and I know exactly what you mean by endless amounts of tray icons... People bring in pc's all the time that "don't work"... The first thing I notice is 15 icons in the tray (99% of the time Kazaa is one of them), and NO ANTI-VIRUS program... It's amazing how many people don't get it.... even after you explain that they had a virus and NEED an AV program (that they can get for free), they don't do it, and come back in 3 months with another virus problem. I'm glad I have plenty of patience with people...Oh and the best part is that hardly any of them will let me format and re-install Windows... they wouldn't want to lose that "precious program" that they downloaded or borrowed from a friend (and don't have a copy)... Sorry for the venting, but it seemed like a good lead-in to what I wanted to say :)

Sorry for the venting, but it seemed like a good lead-in to what I wanted to say
No need to apologize GolfProRM, while I don't work on pcs for a living, I'm one of those guys that gets tagged by people to fix them all the time. I preach security to all of them, but it goes in one ear and out the other! :) They usually wise up after they get bit (and I fix it for them). When their pc won't boot or they lose data, it starts to get their attention. I usually tell them a Windoze re-install is in their future, and they get the deer in the headlights look (I'm sure you've seen it :) ) That's always a last resort, but I think telling them that helps to deliver the meassage that they better get "Security Religion" and fast. But no matter what AV or firewall software you get them to install, the hardest part is getting them to use their heads. Usually it's PEBCAK , "problem exists between chair and keyboard". If we keep preachin', maybe we can convert a few anyhow.Chris

Guest ComputerBob
...Usually it's PEBCAK , "problem exists between chair and keyboard"...
I think the funniest code word for user error that I ever heard was when a guy told me that one of his users was experiencing an "ID ten T" error.I asked him what that was.He told me to write it out on paper and I would get it.

Guest LilBambi
I usually tell them a Windoze re-install is in their future, and they get the deer in the headlights look (I'm sure you've seen it ;) ) That's always a last resort, but I think telling them that helps to deliver the meassage that they better get "Security Religion" and fast. But no matter what AV or firewall software you get them to install, the hardest part is getting them to use their heads. Usually it's PEBCAK , "problem exists between chair and keyboard".  If we keep preachin', maybe we can convert a few anyhow.
Amen! :lol:

How about software that doesn't display properly if you have 'large fonts' selected in display properties - as I always do. I'm surprised that even these days some programs won't work properly.One example I saw recently was Creative's diagnostic tool for my SBlive sound card. It brought up a window saying 'Press start button to run diagnostic'. Problem was that there wasn't a start button anywhere in the window! I thought this was Creative's attempt at humour until I sighed, rebooted with small fonts selected, and all displayed ok...John
I *SO* agree with this one. It is my absolute #1 peeve. How can they NOT do this right? Why do so many programs not display right when you have high resolution (1280*1024 or above) and large fonts? And the ones that don't let you resize their window, so some of it is cut off. !!GGRRRRRRR!!!!!<Okay, time to chill out now. The children are getting frightened>DirkMaster

I think the funniest code word for user error that I ever heard was when a guy told me that one of his users was experiencing an "ID ten T" error.I asked him what that was.He told me to write it out on paper and I would get it.
Computer Bob,I tried to figure that out, then I gave up and wrote it, hahaha, good one! I'm adding that one to my list. B)

Guest LilBambi

Temmu --I couldn't agree more! :D There are so many things that just don't make sense!I can't say I disagree with any pet peeves that anyone has posted, I think we have all experienced them at one time or another! :D

I'm gonna swing it from a different perspective:Top 10 Annoying Things about Software Games10. Game developers that spend more time on making muliple copy protection 'triggers' throughout a game, coupled with most advanced copy protections available that make doing a 'legal' backup of the game impossible, yet make the game so pathetic and boring and unplayable that no one even wants to keep the original. (ala TOCA Race Driver and others)9. Games that are too scary to play alone in the dark. (ala Alone in the Dark, or Clive Barker's Undying)8. Games with very long and silly titles: "Allied Assault: Medal of Honor - Spearhead expansion". What's wrong with names like "Pong", "Pac-Man" or "Q-Bert"? :)7. Games that have such complex and tricky plots to achieve and place to jump and crawl through just to clear a level, that only a 6 year old can do it, leaving the rest of the adult population pulling out their hair and throw the game away after shelling out $50 for it. (ala Half-Life series)6. Games that have a severe flaw because developers just rushed the game out, yet they refuse to make a patch to fix the problem. (ala Test Drive and its inability to recognize Logitech steering wheels/pedals in a racing game.) :rolleyes: 5. Games that tries to load up obsolete versions of DirectX without doing a simple check that you already have the latest version. (ala vast majority of games)4. Games that cost $65, and then have galls to ask for $10/month for privilege to play because its an ONLINE game. (ala Anarchy Online, Everquest)3. Games that need weekly patches and updates to correct fixes due to rush to market, and make your old saved games obsolote in the process (ala Neverwinter Nights)2. Games that take up 2.5 GB to install, mostly by copying movie files that could have been left on the CD in the first place (ala just about all recent titles)1. Games that, even after being fully installed as per reason 2, STILL need a CD inserted to prove you own it (every single game made since '99) :blink:

lol @ the SIMShow that pathetic game has half a dozen add-ons and so many sales baffles meI tried it, and got bored quickly of making food, washing dishes, taking out garbage, sleeping, working, paying bills, feeding pets, watering plant.... wow, take ALL the worst and dullest things in life and throw them into a game and it sells??? how about letting your sim drive around town, pick up hookers, shoot someone, steal a car, evade police... wait, theres GTA3.. :o MUCH better game to play :)p.s. -- re. Sims, since when to GUYS sit down to pee, and why does cooking lead to house fire 50% of friggin' time?? :rolleyes:

lol @ the SIMShow that pathetic game has half a dozen add-ons and so many sales baffles meI tried it, and got bored quickly of making food, washing dishes, taking out garbage, sleeping, working, paying bills, feeding pets, watering plant....  wow, take ALL the worst and dullest things in life and throw them into a game and it sells???  how about letting your sim drive around town, pick up hookers, shoot someone, steal a car, evade police... wait, theres GTA3..  :)  MUCH better game to play :)p.s. -- re. Sims, since when to GUYS sit down to pee, and why does cooking lead to house fire 50% of friggin' time??  :D
LOL, you are cracking me up Prelude!!!!

1. Software that doesn't provide opportunities to customize/control the install: - Automatically decides to stick shortcut icons on your desktop, IE links toolbar, quickluanch icons, favoites folder, system tray of startmenu, etc. - Doesn't let you decide what drive/directory to install the software - Doesn't let you decide if you want it start automatically everytime you start windows

does anyone else also hate how you download an 'installation', but after you run SETUP or INSTALL, it connects to the internet to download a lot more files before installing?Micro$oft is notorious for starting this trend, but many others are following suit.and the all time WORST software annoyance is AUTO=UPDATE! if all programs all had auto-update on and tried to update each day or week, yeah, you can imagine how long before something screws up.about my previous post about Sims, hehe, had to let my feelings out on that :) I forgot one more annoying thing about games (and most software)... all their boxes are now third the size, and manuals are included on CD. I know we're all trying to save the planet by cutting back on packaging/manuals, but I came across an old copy of Flight Simulator that had big thick manuals explaining how to fly, and aerial navigation charts! i really miss those perks. It seems nowadays, for shelling out $50+ for software, all you get is a small box and inside you find a few CDs in a paper envelope (i guess jewel cases are getting too expensive for the manufacurers :) so you're forced to scavange for an old jewel case to use, print off a CD case cover so it looks half decent in your CD rack, and print off dozens of pages using up the ink (that seems to be worth more than gold per ounce) just so you can read the manual without staring at pixels on your monitor. :)

anyone know of other ways windows starts unwanted stuff?
yeah, I do.Norton, Zone Alarm, nVidia and others (a lot more) now add a SERVICE in Windows XP as a way of starting up programs. Norton AntiVirus 2003 for example install half a dozen SERVICES to start, and I read somewhere 2 or 3 of them can safely be DISABLED so they dont start up in bootuphehe.. time to go check your services running, eh? its in Control Panel -> Administrative -> servicesby the way, you can probably disable a dozen microsoft run-on-startup services to speed things up more. visit blackviper.com to get a good list of whats safe to zap and whats not.

• 2 weeks later...
at first they snucked it in the autoexec.bat or config.systhen they sneeked it in the startup folderthen the registry, hklm software ms windows run keyand load= in what, win.ini?
Yes. One revelation came when I first installed a firewall. I kind of expected a shock - being made aware of the many attempts to break into my computer. But to my surprise there were very few - if any. Instead I was horrified over the many attempts to "break out" of my computer!, that is - software attempting to establish an outside connection - which my firewall blocked. I guess I was no longer in shock about this when I later installed a utility called RegRun3 (or ver2 at the time), which among other things monitors the registry, startup folder and NT-services, and pops up a warning when any of the "vitals" change. It just confirmed what I learned from my firewall, that many programs insists on running at startup - and without my explicit concent (explicit does not mean buried in the fine print). And sometimes even the nice ones do it too: They offer you an option to turn off auto update in the program configuration, but - unfortunately has the feature turned on as default. And of course, when you install - the first thing the program do - before you can change the config, is run auto update. Although now I just say HA HA - gotcha! - when my firewall pops up a warning and lets me block the attempt. I guess in most cases the auto update is "harmless" - it does what it is supposed to do - check for updates. Problem is, as consumers - there is no way we can tell. We don't know what data they collect and send. Only thing we can do is trust that software companies worry about their reputation enough not to invade our privacy. Can we?All the best,zimon

I could come up with 50, at least. Why just a "Top 10"? ~8-)1) While I was Registering here, this one hit me: Why does Registration Software require you to enter your Password Twice, but your User Name only once?2) Why does it require you to enter your Email Address Twice, but your User Name only once? Doesn't anybody trust you to know what your User Name and Password should be -- and how to spell them correctly the first time? Is there an echo in here?3) Why does software ask if you want to NOT install some feature, and then install it, anyway -- no matter what your answer is? Are you listening Bill Gates?? Not only is that irritating, it's rude.4) Why do Programmers keep moving features around on the Menu Lists? And how come the places where they put things are NOT the places any average User would choose?5) Why doesn't software trust you when you choose "DELETE"? Does it really believe you're stupid enough to choose to Delete something that should NOT be Deleted? It's okay to offer a way to retrieve it, but why incessantly ask the question "Are you sure you want to Delete this?" No, you clown, I was just joking!6) Can't anyone figure out how to list the States in an online or software Registration or shopping cart check-out routine the SAME way? Why do they insist on calling Washington DC a State when it isn't? If you choose "DC" as the State, it comes back listed as "Washington DC DC". That's not correct. At other sites, you MUST enter DC as the State. Well, I don't agree with Congress, but it is NOT a State. Yet.7) Can't they figure out whether the Billing or Shipping Address Forms should come FIRST? One site/program puts the Shipping Address first, the next puts the other one first. Make up your D*** mind!8) How about CAPS? Are they important, or not? Get your act together. Either everything should HAVE to be in lower case -- or nothing should.9) Why does Microsoft FORCE you to own Office in order to have a spellcheck for Outlook Express? Can't they figure out how to spellcheck a simple email message?10) What's up with the dashes used in Credit Card Numbers? Are they necessary, or not? PLEASE STATE THE REQUIREMENT PROMINENTLY!! before I start filling out your stupid purchase form, you numbnuts!!11) Here's the worst one -- what IDIOT thought it was a good thing to delete everything you already filled in, only because their stupid form doesn't like some trivial thing about your typing? Such as, you put dashes in the Credit Card Number. It gets rejected. Then you find all 50 of the previous blocks of info were deleted, forcing you to start all over again. D***, that's a stupid way to conduct business.

Paul Thornett

I'll provide just 2, if that's OK!1) Excessive use of modal windows. Try editing 2 stored procedures in Sql Server at the same time (impossible)!2) Non-resizable windows, e.g. dialogue windows where you can't see the full question, or the area in which to answer.

You did not mention the two pop ups that bug me the most. Pop ups that say something has gone wrong without saying what application created the pop up. (for example: "Write error. Cannot connect to the XYZ device". Since I no longer have the XYZ device, how do I find the application that is complaining?)Pop up error messages that cannot be captured or printed or quoted in an e-mail to support. I guess I should upgrade my computer with a pencil and paper.

Guest LilBambi

The last message in this thread was deleted because it referred to the availability of copyrighted material posted for unauthorized distribution. This message thankfully did not provide a direct link to an illegal download. However, the Admins and Moderators of this forum do not condone or allow the posting of messages that either imply or specifically state ways to obtain copyrighted materials against the wishes of the copyright holder.

WOW lots of good ones.My list at this moment:1. Program that detects hardware..but can't detect it if it is being used...but you have to be online to use the rest of the features (USR modem detector and "update" feature)2. Unresizable windows.3. Stealing focus.4. Changing my default settings without my consent (like a "pop-up" window that changes the default size of my New Brower window)5. Lack of configurability.6. Inability to cancel a process within a program when I decide that "wasn't what I wanted to do"7. New versions with commands that are moved/changed8. Freeware programs that start charging if you get a new OS (the free version doesnt' work under the newer OS- gotcha)9. "Click here for help" but it requires a network connection and it is to FIX the problem I am having connecting----really smart programmers! 10. Tech support that cant speak recognizable English.11. Tech support that asks you to repeat something over and over till you puke!

• 2 weeks later...
littlebone
3. Stealing focus.
Amen to that! I swear that I changed a Win2K registry setting to only flash the task bar icon when new data comes in, and I still have the focus stolen by some apps.I might add:
  • Graphics software that assumes you want to use its proprietary format and makes that easy to find in Save. Then all other formats require burrowing deep through nested menus.
  • The moving "preferences" option. Some apps put it under the "FILE", some under "EDIT". MS puts it in "Tools".
  • Programs that toss your customizations (skins, settings, preferences) when you install a new version.

I use Outlook Express to read my "throw-away" hotmail account since Outlook 2K only reads POP3 mail. Anyway, OE minimizes any e-mail I open as soon as I open it. I can't figure out why. So the annoyance? Why isn't there a way for me to find out what registry setting causes this?