I tried this, and I tried that ......

onederer

I guess that I will have to leave it to the collective brains in this forum to come up with some answers.After trying MANY distros, except for Mandrake :lol: , there has not been a single other one that can find my extra BusLink 80GB hard drive on the Firewire port. I wanted to fill this hard drive with another version of Linux, but they have all been too anemic to find and work with a Firewire 1394 port. Mandrake finds it as /dev/sda, and definitely would like to use this extra drive for itself. But this is not my intention. I want another Linux distro to live on that drive. WindowsXP also wants that X-tra hard drive for itself, but no way!My latest attempt, was to download the ISO image, and burn in Red Hat 9, and then trying it out. It only found the regular hard drives, /dev/hda, and /dev/hdb. I saw it loading the 1394 drivers, when it was booting up, but it never used them. /dev/hdb is the Mandrake's home hard-drive. And I do not want to get rid of that distro! It seems to be three setps ahead of the rest, so far.I am surprised that RH9 is not that sophisticated. I thought that it was industrial quality. I tried Free BSD, and it was even worse. Gentoo, only wanted regular drives to install itself in. Sorry Slackware users, it also failed. I do believe if I wanted to, the only other one which could do it, would be Knoppix. But I like it as a "live" CD. Boy! I'm currently chin deep in useless coasters at the moment. Too many burn-in's and trials.So, which one of you has some answers to this delima? Should I simply, and finally give up? Should I relinquish the usage of this spare drive to Mandrake, or Windows? If no one comes up with something, that is what I will have to do. HELP!! B)

Hi OnedererMandrake and SusE are always far ahead on the rest of the distro´s, just wait for the next versions of RH ( and others ) to come out, they will follow . . . See what happened to ¨supermount¨ and NTFS support, Mandrake was first and the rest is catching up slowly. Maybe they need two versions to do so, but they will.B) Bruno

Brunno I got a pm from him and he stated Knoppix worked, but he didn't want that for main install. Another point for Knoppix! B)

Brunno I got a pm from him and he stated Knoppix worked, but he didn't want that for main install.  Another point for Knoppix! B)
Yea...I'm starting to see my Big three as SuSe 8.2 Pro, Mandrake..and Knoppix(debian...) To me all three are straightforward to install..find hardware and work) ...Kelly,I don't have DSL..so that didn't affect me... :D OK..Knoppix wasn't so straght forward until Bruno showed me how.... :D Mandrake may be based on Redhat..but I think Mandrake has taken the lead( of course that could be because Redhat has decided to focus on the enterprise level..and leave us poor non-money producing home users alone B)

Oh wow you don't have DSL - how are you download the ISOs? I can't imagin how long that would take on dial up.I can't wait to get home to start downloading the new release of Knoppix to see if the bug is fixed for me. Got my fingers crossed. Got one of our special deputies to download knoppix and he likes it. One by one I shall turn the fellow employees into penguins B)

I have cable modem..then through a router...pretty quick... B) hey when you do your install..would you please tell me if it seems to you that it was quicker( than last knoppix version)...Like 20-30 min range. B) I just to see if someone else sees that too.hee hee making penguins...what a noble art :D :D B)

linuxdude32
So, which one of you has some answers to this delima?  Should I simply, and finally give up?  Should I relinquish the usage of this spare drive to Mandrake, or Windows?  If no one comes up with something, that is what I will have to do.  HELP!! ;)
I don't have any personal experience with Firewire and Linux (and very little in Windows for that matter) but this site looks like it might help you:IEEE 1394 for LinuxLet us know if it does so we can recommend it as a useful source in the future.

Thanks for those links, they are very informative, but that applied to a system that is already installed, and functional, to make it 1394 compliant. However, it will not help when trying to install a distro, straight from the CDROM platter, unless it was setup that way, beforehand.I noticed that the Red Hat distro, put up a statement when starting the installation, that it was loading the 1394 drivers. But it never went beyond that point in using it. If anyone knows, perhaps the proper driver(s) could be on one of the floppy disc images, but I don't know which one.But hey, keep em coming! Always open for new suggestions! And thanks for your interest. B)

linuxdude32
I noticed that the Red Hat distro, put up a statement when starting the installation, that it was loading the 1394 drivers.  But it never went beyond that point in using it.  If anyone knows, perhaps the proper driver(s) could be on one of the floppy disc images, but I don't know which one.But hey, keep em coming!  Always open for new suggestions!  And thanks for your interest.  :blink:
Do you have any other partitions that you can install a distro on? I'm thinking a workaround might be to install another distro on a partition and then copy everything under Mandrake to the Firewire drive. Mandrake appears to recognize it as a SCSI drive, which is correct according to the Firewire website I mentioned.I did some other searching and everything I found suggested you'd need a custom kernel to recognize the Firewire drive and have the modules for it, but this page suggested a way to do that and still get the distro on your system. They talk about SuSE but you could do this with another distro. One issue that I keep seeing again and again is that if your BIOS doesn't recognize the fireware drive, you won't be able to boot anything from it even after getting something installed to it. Here's the page.