Acid3 browser test released, nobody passes

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
Acid3 browser test released, nobody passes (Posted by Ed Burnette at ZDNet Blogs):
The Web Standards Project has released the latest in their series of browser compatibility tests: Acid3. Even though Acid3 is based on 4 year old standards, no currently shipping browser passes as of this writing.Update: Want to try the test yourself? First, save and close any work being done in any browser windows, because there’s a chance it may cause your browser to crash. Then click on this link. It may take up to a minute to run so be patient. Also note that the web site is getting hammered right now, so if it’s too busy try again later. To get a detailed report of what didn’t work, click on the “A” in “Acid3."
Supposed to look like this but none of the browsers on the Mac come close. Here's the bad news for standards on the Mac:Firefox: FAILED 49 of 100 tests. Score: 51/100 Camino: FAILED 49 of 100 tests. Score: 51/100Opera: FAILED 54 of 100 tests. Score: 46/100Safari Version 3.0.4*: FAILED 61 of 100 tests. Score: 39/100In the scheme of things, Firefox and Camino didn't do too badly. ;) They only failed 49 of 100 ACID3 Tests, while Opera didn't fare quite as well, and Safari was last among the browses I have. According to CYBERNET, Safari 3.1 fared best, with Firefox coming in next. I did not have that version on my Mac and my Mac is up to date - Just checked. ?!CYBERNET also notes the following:
Browsers such as Safari, Konqueror, and Opera already pass the Acid2 test, and when Firefox 3 is released later this year it will as well. Microsoft has also put some work into Internet Explorer 8 so that it will pass the Acid2 test when it is eventually made available. All of the main browsers will be passing the Acid2 test about 3 years after it was initially released.
I do not have IE on the Mac.Maybe others on other OSes can test IE6, IE7 and FF3.0 Beta 4) (which is apparently way faster than previous FF and blows away the competition. :( B) :teehee:Firefox 3.0 -- Beta 4 ... maybe its close enough to final now??

I got the same gibberish that Ed Burnette, ZDNet, displayed in the linked article when I tried with IE 7. It displayed a 12 and an error on page. With latest Firefox (not beta) I get 51/100.

Edited by Stumped

That was my question as well...
Acid3 Browser Test - The Web Standards Project
Acid3 Browser TestAcid3 is the third in a series of test pages written to help browser vendors ensure proper support for web standards in their products.Acid3 is primarily testing specifications for “Web 2.0″ dynamic Web applications. Also thereare some visual rendering tests, including webfonts. Here is the list of specifications tested: * DOM2 Core * DOM2 Events * DOM2 HTML * DOM2 Range * DOM2 Style (getComputedStyle, …) * DOM2 Traversal (NodeIterator, TreeWalker) * DOM2 Views (defaultView) * ECMAScript * HTML4 (<object>, <iframe>, …) * HTTP (Content-Type, 404, …) * Media Queries * Selectors (:lang, :nth-child(), combinators, dynamic changes, …) * XHTML 1.0 * CSS2 (@font-face) * CSS2.1 (’inline-block’, ‘pre-wrap’, parsing…) * CSS3 Color (rgba(), hsla(), …) * CSS3 UI (’cursor’) * data: URIs * SVG (SVG Animation, SVG Fonts, …)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi
Opera Labs - Public Acid3 build (Warning by Opera! Not ready for main browser use due to security concerns that haven't been added in yet) - But this version of Opera passes the Acid3 Test!
Two days ago Opera reached a 100/100 pass rate on the Acid3 test for the first time and we published a screenshot on the Desktop team blog to back up the claim. I am pleased to announce the first public build with a 100/100 pass rate and pixel-perfect rendering! The build can be downloaded here: Windows, Linux.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/...-the-acid3-test

• 3 weeks later...

What's funny to me about this test (and I believe the previous one) is where it releases with regards to the Firefox release schedule. Firefox 3 is very close to release, and so anything that would need to be totally reworked has almost no chance of making it in until Firefox 4. If it's a bug fix that's one thing, but if it's an addition or major change to the rendering engine, it's not going to go into an almost finished release build.I'm fairly sure there was some similar timing with Firefox 2, which is why it's taking until now with Firefox 3 to pass Acid2, even though it's been out for quite some time. Now, I'm not saying it's some sort of "conspiracy" to make Firefox look bad, it's just bad timing. Here is a developer, Mike Shaver, talking about Acid3 and Firefox.So it's good that tests like these exist, just don't expect Firefox to pass the test a week after it is posted. They're aware of what needs fixed, it's just a matter of priority :thumbsup: