Wireless Woes Will Warrant Whines

Fryed2aCrisp

Fryed2aCrisp

Thank you, Urmas, for the "intro to Scot's"!Hi, folks- I have attempted several versions...Ubuntu7.0, kubuntu 7.0, and soon- Mandriva 10.0....in order to get my hands into this marvelous community-based software. I have not been able to successfully configure wireless access on my Acer 5002 laptop (internal Broadcom wireless card).I'll post as to whether Mandriva wakes this little laptop up, or not.

Hi CrispWelcome to the forum :hmm: . . . Urmas is great for recruiting new members :DNow, to your problem: Although I do not use wireless myself I do remember that there would be support for your Broadcom wireless card in recent versions of Linux . . . . The thing is that you are writing about Ubuntui 7.0 and Mandriva 10.0, those are distros from 2006 and early 2004. In Linux-speak that is acient !You will need Mandriva 2008 or Ubuntu 7.10 to stand a chance getting that card to work. And my advice would be Mandriva 2008 because it has an easy configure tool to make sure the card is detected and set up . . . and even a wizard + tool ( ndiswrapper ) to use the MS Windows drivers on your Win partition if that would be needed.So . . . . download this: ( Mandriva Linux One 2008 - Free Download ) http://www.mandriva.com/en/download and we will pick up from there :D UPDATE: See next 2 posts . . . there is even a better idea ;):rolleyes: Bruno

Wishes.png

I am using PCLos 2007, and have gotten my Broadcom wireless on an HP Laptop Compaq computer to work both with the ndiswrapper and directly, to my surprise.Bill

Edited by BillD

Fryed2aCrisp
PCLOs is a real good one too . . . . . maybe that is even a better idea ! ( because the errata for Mandriva shows an issue + workaround . . . . so PCLos would be easier )Here is the ISO: http://www.pclosusers.com/pclosusers/isos/...inuxos-2007.iso You can run it "Live" first to see if it works . . . ;)B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Thanks Bruno...& others that added suggestions...I have Mandriva installed live, but am now going to get that iso file downloaded and installed...be back in a few!

...I have Mandriva installed live, but am now going to get that iso file downloaded and installed...be back in a few!
Great . . . . . looks like you are having fun with all those ISO's . . . LOL . . . give us a shout when PCLos is running so Bill can help you setting up the connection. ( Using the PCLos Control Center --> Network & Internet )If you set the network up running "Live" ( not yet HD installed ) it will keep the settings as you install it to HD. That way you do not get conflicting configuration files and can simply reboot and start again in case you choose the wrong settings.B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Fryed2aCrisp
Great . . . . . looks like you are having fun with all those ISO's . . . LOL . . . give us a shout when PCLos is running so Bill can help you setting up the connection. ( Using the PCLos Control Center --> Network & Internet )If you set the network up running "Live" ( not yet HD installed ) it will keep the settings as you install it to HD. That way you do not get conflicting configuration files and can simply reboot and start again in case you choose the wrong settings.B) Bruno
Wishes.png

That's a fact! I finally have PC Linux 2007 up & running.....no wireless yet....any help?

Did you install PCLos and are running it from the hard drive, or live? Or are you still in Mandrivia?If in PCLos, do as bruno suggested: Go to the PCLos Control Center and then to Networking. There you will go through the menu selecting the wifi connection to connect. I will see what I can do to walk you through. It has been a while but I can probably remember most of it unless there is someone else on running it now.

Fryed2aCrisp
Did you install PCLos and are running it from the hard drive, or live? Or are you still in Mandrivia?If in PCLos, do as bruno suggested: Go to the PCLos Control Center and then to Networking. There you will go through the menu selecting the wifi connection to connect. I will see what I can do to walk you through. It has been a while but I can probably remember most of it unless there is someone else on running it now.
I am in Control Center now....and I downloaded to my desktop two files:bcm43XXfwcutter, and wl_apsta-3 130.20.0.0..........ready....
I am in Control Center now....and I downloaded to my desktop two files:bcm43XXfwcutter, and wl_apsta-3 130.20.0.0..........ready....
and the wireless configurating tool states, "no device found"

Yikes, it sounds like you will need to use NDISwrapper. That should not be necessary for the broadcom. Do you have your wireless turned on?

Fryed2aCrisp
Yikes, it sounds like you will need to use NDISwrapper. That should not be necessary for the broadcom. Do you have your wireless turned on?
yes...and still same scenario

I see broadcom support is still in the works. Take a look at this:

The first thing to do is to click on that first entry - the one labeled Create a new network interface (LAN, ADSL, Wireless, etc.). Simple enough? Let's get going.Now under new connection we are going to click on the bottom button - wireless connection. Once you have done that then click next.Next it asks about the network to configure. It gives you two choices. First you can select "manually load a driver" and see if you can follow it from there and if it works. If it does, great, you are done.If not, you will use NDISwrapper, and you will go back to where you selected "manually load a driver," and this time click the bottom option to "use a windows driver with NDISwrapper" and once again click next. It will then ask if you want to install a new driver and that is what you will do.The next screen says "net device" and that is it. Simply click next. The next few screens will vary according to your boot situation. Since you are running wireless, I assume you are going through a wireless router and it holds your configuration. I simply click next through the next few screens but you will need to adapt them as necessary for your situation.The screens are:Automatic ip (boot/dhcp) or manual configurationAssign host name or defaultWireless parameters: You will need to think about this screen. You can simply click "auto" and "any" or you can change this. If you are using encryption you will use the word "managed" instead of auto and then you will indicate the network name and your encryption id. Otherwise, you can go with auto and any.The next screen is for the wireless parameters for your card. I have never needed to put anything here but if you know of specific parameters then you will enter them here. If in doubt, go take a look at the desktop link for the "man pages".Host nameIf you need to enter something here, then go ahead. I leave it blank. It is the same for the next screen zeroconference host.Do you want to allow users to connect? If you say no then only root will be able to connect.Finally, it tells you the network needs to restart and asks for your permission. Here you need to tell it yes and then wait a minute or two while it does its thing.Hasn't this been easy so far? Now it says the configuration is finished and wants you to restart your x environment. What on earth is that? Simple. All you need to do is to go back to your clicker - that penguin in the bottom left corner and go up to the first entry - log out. Click on log out and then you will log back in and everything should be working.

If not, you will use NDISwrapper,
From what I understand this ( using Ndiswrapper ) is the way to go. So please do a "clean" boot ( so all your previous attempts get wiped ) and follow the instructions. ;)B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Frank Golden
From what I understand this ( using Ndiswrapper ) is the way to go. So please do a "clean" boot ( so all your previous attempts get wiped ) and follow the instructions. ;)B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Hi Bruno, You do mean "clean" install not boot.Looking around the web I see that the Broadcom company has not been linux friendly.
Like TI, Broadcom quickly gained a reputation as being very unfriendly to Linux. It was known that Broadcom internally had a fully functional Linux driver, but it was unwilling to release it in any form (even binary), and was not answering call for chipset specifications.
Source of above quotehttp://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourri...g.html#BroadcomUsing Ndiswrapper is indeed the way to go. Edited by Frank Golden

Is the wifi switch hardwired? I have an Acer laptop too and had my share of struggling with it.The switch has to be in the 'on' position, during booting you should see the wifi gets detected in that case. BTW: any information about what exact Broadcom chip is in your laptop? 4318? B)

Hi Bruno, You do mean "clean" install not boot.
No I indeed mean "clean boot" . . . I do not want him to install to HD yet, I first want to be 100% sure we get the wifi working ( in "Live" mode )Only once we have the ndiswrapper set up and checked internet connection we will install to HD :)There is a wizard to set up ndiswrapper so even for a new Linux user this should be a piece of cake . . . B) B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Fryed2aCrisp
No I indeed mean "clean boot" . . . I do not want him to install to HD yet, I first want to be 100% sure we get the wifi working ( in "Live" mode )Only once we have the ndiswrapper set up and checked internet connection we will install to HD :)There is a wizard to set up ndiswrapper so even for a new Linux user this should be a piece of cake . . . B) B) Bruno
Wishes.png

Well the piece of cake bit ME.....lolI read a post that recommended "Freespire" as OS. They apparently had been through similar wars with wireless......I downloaded - and am now wireless! This is the first Linux based OS that automatically turned on my wireless by default (Light came on as it booted up!). I had tried to press this button before ( to be sure it wasn't turned off) for the other systems I tried: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mandrake, and PC Linux 2007.Freespire has my vote! *Whew*Thanks, Teacher, Bruno, and all who helped coach me through to wireless success. B)

Better reboot and see how it behaves, after that do a cold reboot (shut down completely, then boot up) and see if it still works. B)

Fryed2aCrisp
Better reboot and see how it behaves, after that do a cold reboot (shut down completely, then boot up) and see if it still works. B)
Rebooted three times....once I had to go to settings and recheck, then hit "apply"....but seems to be repeating quite nicely!

Fryed2aCrisp
Glad you're connected now Crisp !! B) B) Welcome to Linux !B) Bruno
Thanks!......It's a neat feeling to be flying free of MS's reach!I have rebooted a couple of times and found Firefox telling me there's a problem....after I right click the network icon for a wired connection, and then go to the settings (after entering my password)- review, and save (nothing is changed) then I see a gear turning (icon),-this is KNetwork Manager- and soon it is up and running fine again.