Best Firefox Extensions and Customizing Tips

rseiler

Is this page permanently abandoned or will it be updated at some point?http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/best_of/firefox.htmI'd really like to see it updated, since it was useful in its day.The Web is really in need of the equivalent of this site, but for extensions. Amazingly, I don't think one exists. By that I mean not merely a list of the extensions someone likes or uses but a listing of the best extension or three in any given category. Right now it's very messy trying to sift through Mozilla's list of 8 million extensions and trying to sort them into any sense.http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

Edited by rseiler

Well a short Google search found the links below:50 Best Firefox Extensions for Power SurfingBest Firefox ExtensionsTop 15 Firefox Extensions by PC Magazine - Reviews by PC MagazineThere are more links to be found. The Mozilla AMO only has 1950 extensions as of this posting.The site could be a tad better organized but I suspect The Mozilla Foundation is more concerned about providing a World Class browser and the upcoming release of Firefox 3.0, than a repository of extensions.

Thanks, but of those, the first one is too old and the third one is too old and just a list (lists of extensions are all over the place).The middle one is in the ballpark, and based on the version of FF on the left side, might actually be updated as well, but the problem with the site is that without any kind of editorial for each item (the descriptions appear to be generic information), having a list of say, 10 tab managing extensions is only marginally better than what's on Mozilla's site.These are the kinds of problems I've been finding coming up with a site: they're either not maintained or just Top 10 type lists.

Thanks, but of those, the first one is too old and the third one is too old and just a list (lists of extensions are all over the place).The middle one is in the ballpark, and based on the version of FF on the left side, might actually be updated as well, but the problem with the site is that without any kind of editorial for each item (the descriptions appear to be generic information), having a list of say, 10 tab managing extensions is only marginally better than what's on Mozilla's site.These are the kinds of problems I've been finding coming up with a site: they're either not maintained or just Top 10 type lists.
Try this one from Mr Tech. It is a forum, you may have to join.Best Extensions for Mozilla, Firefox & Thunderbird

• 3 weeks later...

The Firefox extension Flashblock is wonderful for, uh, Flash blocking: even more versatile than Opera's ability to set preferences by individual page.But I also need something to block animated .gifs (for instance, those clickable smilies that are on my left as I write this, bugging me out!), and I can't seem to find an extension that does that. Not that finding anything on the Mozilla extensions page is a walk in the park, but any suggestions would be appreciated.(On edit: BTW, the Mr Tech page mentioned by Gary couldn't help me in this particular instance, but it's quite interesting in and of itself.)

Edited by Epistrophy

But I also need something to block animated .gifs
2 ways1. hit the escape key. it should stop all animations on a webpage. 2. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Animated_Imageshttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:...:config_EntriesIn Mozilla Suite and Firefox: 1. In the Location Bar type about:config and hit Enter 2. Type "anim" in the Filter field (to quickly find the needed preference) 3. Double-click the image.animation_mode line and edit it to one of the following: none — will prevent image animation once — will let the image animate once normal (default) — will allow it to play over and over Edited by cybormoron

1. In the Location Bar type about:config and hit Enter 2. Type "anim" in the Filter field (to quickly find the needed preference) 3. Double-click the image.animation_mode line and edit it to one of the following: none — will prevent image animation
Works like a champ -- thanks!

Cluttermagnet

There are those occasional animated images which I find too distracting. I use AdBlock to disable them from even displaying. My theory: if offensive, don't hobble them- remove them.Mouse cursor on image, right click image...Click AdBlock image(You don't have AdBlock? You really should...)Click OK.Done.That particular image will no longer display on that machine and that browser installation. Redo on other computers or with newer browser installs.You see, I don't want all images inhibited from animating. Some folks actually have the wisdom to do them tastefully. I want to decide on a case by case basis. To do this 100 percent of the time using about:config removes that option.That being said, I find most animated images either juvenile or downright tasteless. I'd think long and hard before I'd ever unleash one of them on the public or my forum buddies. I got that sort of thing out of my system in the late 90's. ;)Know what? Even if they are cleverly done, they start to get old. Just too distracting. I suspect they are almost as universally disliked as flashing or especially 'marquee' style lettering.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

My most used extensions by sunrat:Adblock - hides or removes things from a web page according to url or wild card match, using a blocklistCompact Menu Firebird - Hide all the menus behind one icon. Allows me to run a single toolbar for max page viewing area.Fasterfox - A few tweaks to speed pages. Has a statusbar icon that shows page load time.Flashgot - Send downloads automatically to your choice download manager. I use Kget.Forecastfox Enhanced - Weather in statusbar with big weather map.Link Alert - Shows what a link will take you to, pdf, html, mp3, javascript etc.Linkification - turns non-clickable urls into links.Mouse Gestures - Navigate with a flick of the wrist. Love this one.PDF Download - Choose to download, view in browser or view in PDF reader.Stop or Reload Button - More space saving. Two buttons in the space of one.Unplug - Save streamed media to disk, YouTube, Flash,mov etc.That's my must have list, "Top 11". Also if your interested in the page coding, you also need:-CSS Viewer - shows the CSS code for each block as you roll over.Web Developer toolbar - Can display almost everything about a webpage.I must have tried dozens more (and have a few other less essential ones installed :thumbsdown: ) but this list represents the ones that have stayed useful for a long time. I don't look for new ones much now. I'm sure everybody elses' list would be different.