xorg.conf swap file

cybormoron

i'm having a little prob with ubuntu in virtualbox. it keeps crashing/aborting on me when i'm editing xorg.conf resulting in the xorg.conf swap file problem. i'm on my 6th re-installation so i figure its time to learn how to fix the prob. i currently have gutsy running in recovery mode but i don't see this .~ file in the X11 directory. so how do i proceed from here?from brunos tips

2). Correctly saving a file:If you make a mistake when saving a file, or close vi before the file is saved, you will end up with a swap-file ( mostly marked with the .~ extension ) and the original file. The original one will not have the changes you made and the swap file is useless. Trying to reopen the original one will result in an error message. The best/easiest way to resolve this is to manually delete the .swap ( or .~ ) file. After that you can open the original file again and the error message will be gone.
here's my long sad storygutsy installs and seems to run ok in VB. guest additions install ok. i do think i might have a ram problem with gutsy in VB. i gave it 406MB but gkrellm ram statistic on my host goes down by about 450MB causing me to think that gutsy is using swap in VB and therefore causing the crash problem. i upped the ram to 514 but it still crashed on me. i think it might work ok though when i fix the xorg prob. we shall see.i had to boot into recovery mode because i couldn't change to run level 3. is this about the same thing? i know ubuntu uses different run level configuration but i don't understand it.i had to use vim instead of vi. vi opens in expression mode or something. this caused me to re-install one time till i figured out next time how to restore (mv) my xorg backup, duh.vim allows insert mode which i'm familiar with.there is no display modes in the xorg file. i'm thinking i can just add a subsection with the modes that will allow screen resize up to 1280x1024.i ain't re-installing this thing again. if i can't fix this xorg swap prob then gutsy is history on this virtual machine. thanks for letting me vent.

Is your VBox 1.50 or 1.52?Anyway... ""VirtualBox does not work well with guests that use a tickless kernel timer"... and Gutsy is such a guest. So: try to boot with kernel parameter nohz=offWell, it COULD help. :hmm:

cha-ching, woohoo, nevermind, i got it. unbelievable. right after my post i booted it up in recovery mode, opened xorg in vim, modified and added subsection mode lines, installed the guest additions and it worked :D i now have a 1280x1024 gutsy gibbon in a virtualbox. must have been one of those PEBKAC problems i was having. :hmm: no joy without the pain, right!thanks urmas, i don't think i have that prob but i'll watch out for it.i do seem to be using a lot of ram though

steve@steves-funhouse:~$ free total used free shared buffers cachedMem: 517860 475272 42588 0 26860 265076-/+ buffers/cache: 183336 334524Swap: 594364 0 594364steve@steves-funhouse:~$
here's my modified xorg.conf with the Subsection "Display" modes added into Section "Screen". i only added the typical 4x3 resolutions and not any widescreen modes. basically i copied from my mandriva.
# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)## This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using# values from the debconf database.## Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)## This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg# package.## If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated# again, run the following command:# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgSection "Files"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Generic Keyboard" Driver "kbd" Option "CoreKeyboard" Option "XkbRules" "xorg" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "us"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Configured Mouse" Driver "vboxmouse" Option "CorePointer" Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Driver "wacom" Identifier "stylus" Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" Option "Type" "stylus" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "InputDevice" Driver "wacom" Identifier "eraser" Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" Option "Type" "eraser" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "InputDevice" Driver "wacom" Identifier "cursor" Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" Option "Type" "cursor" Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLYEndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "Generic Video Card" Driver "vboxvideo" BusID "PCI:0:2:0"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "Generic Monitor" Option "DPMS" HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-160EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" Device "Generic Video Card" Monitor "Generic Monitor" DefaultDepth 24 Subsection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 15 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240" EndSubsection Subsection "Display Depth 24 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240" EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "Default Layout" Screen "Default Screen" InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" InputDevice "Configured Mouse"# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"EndSection
http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/32454/200...09934247_rs.jpghttp://aycu40.webshots.com/image/32159/200...07290228_rs.jpgedit, i just noticed an error in my xorg, missing quotation mark in the Depth 24 hmmmmmm? i'm surprised it works. it usually won't work. Edited by cybormoron

I have Kubuntu in VirtualBox ( 1.5 ) . . and had no problems installing it . . nor did I need special kernel parameters . . . .:hmm: Bruno

i think i may have a bug in this baby. it runs ok with guest additions at 1280x1024. i can reboot it all day and it works fine. when i customize the panels or change other settings i get strange behavior. here's what i'm doing;1. turn off panel/menu tooltips with gconf-editor 2. single-click behavior in file browser.3. enable auto log-in.4. power management to never.5. screensaver = Fiberlamp.6. move all top panel applets to bottom panel.7. move top panel to left.8. remove evolution mail applet from panel.9. add terminal launcher to panel.10. add applications to left panel.something about these settings is causing an error. gnome can't find the settings or something. i don't remember what the exact wording was and it hasn't shown the error message again. it either moves the bottom panel to the top, freezes up, or no panels at all. at this point i don't know what to do except re-install. it really is a show stopper because nothing will respond.i'm guessing that moving the panels is causing the prob. i wonder if this new deskbar/indexing program might be involved? is there another way to troubleshoot this possible bug besides re-installing?the boot parameter nohz=off doesn't prevent the behavior.

Edited by cybormoron

is there another way to troubleshoot this possible bug besides re-installing?
I think a re-install is the quicker solution . . . . ;) Bruno

yup bruno...that's what i've been doing. re-installin' and rebootin' all for a tiny little bug. i think i found it though so i shouldn't have to redo it again. leave it to me to find those obscure bugs.the bug seems to be with the panel properties expand option. i guess i'll just have to live with a full length panel. the short panel worked ok in fiesty.http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/31089/200...60378203_rs.jpg

hey bruno, i was just thinking (yeah i know that's a bad idea), but well, truth is i always go to your tips section when i need to learn to do summin new in linux ......(not something , summin) ha ha. Anyway i don't know how to do this vitualbox thing and since i have high expectations of myself and linux and you.......next time you are really really bored and wanna add to the tips section.....a step by step on virtual box would be priceless......yep i know i just made your day ROTFLMAO