Gentoo Live CD

havnblast

Quint or anybody that has maybe run into this before - I got the Gentoo Live CD downloaded and burnt the ISO - works, but I can not figure out how to do the XWindows.startx - unrecognizedxsetup - unrecognizedsetup-x-unrecognizedis it possible it doesn't have a XWindows or am I missing a command? Finding documentation on this is like pulling teeth, very hard to come by.

I checked that already - no readme file. like I was saying - finding the download and any information on it is about impossible. I have my doubts that it even has XWindows - the burn was under 300 MBs, so they must of left a few things out.

I checked that already - no readme file.  like I was saying - finding the download and any information on it is about impossible.  I have my doubts that it even has XWindows - the burn was under 300 MBs, so they must of left a few things out.
Not very clever for a Live CD . . you can not add extra packages . :):) Bruno

I checked that already - no readme file.  like I was saying - finding the download and any information on it is about impossible.  I have my doubts that it even has XWindows - the burn was under 300 MBs, so they must of left a few things out.
Hi Kelly,Like you, that is the "stickler" for me...I printed out the "readme" from the website - 37 pages! :o You can also get to it during the install process on the CD - think that it's: <Alt+F2>. :huh: Have gotten as far as logging in, then when I type "startx", I get an error message that says: "no screens available"; yet just prior to that, it gives a rundown of my video card, monitor, screen resolution, etc., etc. :huh: I've put it aside for awhile, maybe some "divine providence" will bash me in the head, and the next time will succeed! :lol:

Would this be a solution ?At the root prompt:init 5 ( to come on the runlevel where X is )startx ( or Alt+F7 or Ctrl+Alt=F7 or any other F / ):huh: Bruno

Would this be a solution ?At the root prompt:init 5 ( to come on the runlevel where X is )startx ( or Alt+F7 or Ctrl+Alt=F7 or any other F / ):huh: Bruno
Thanks, Bruno...the next time I try the install, will include this. :lol:

OKI booted from cd and when I got to the prompted I typed in init 5 and presto it starts to switch runlevelsonly thing is when it gets to Loading EVMS Modules - the cursor just keeps blinking so I typed in startx - command not recognizedAltF7 and ctrlalt did no anything eitherI notice the last runlevel it says as it boots is Runlevel 3 - which must be console mode, unless it's having problems with video card or something

Kellyinit 3 ( runlevel 3 ) is indeed the text mode . . . With Slackware runlevel 4 is the level with X . . . . with all other distro´s its runlevel 5 . . . I do feel we´re getting closer . . . Quint what was the command again they used for Slack Live ? Was it ¨win¨ ??B) Bruno

Try runlevel 4 see what it does . . . . but seen that runlevel 5 did start some action on your PC I do think it will be 5After that just try the different commands:xstartxwinkde ( this might be a good one if it has KDE )icewmblackboxgnomeanything you can think off . . .or hit the tab button and you can see all the commands that do exist.B) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Kellyinit 3 ( runlevel 3 ) is indeed the text mode . . . With Slackware runlevel 4 is the level with X . . . . with all other distro´s its runlevel 5 . . . I do feel we´re getting closer . . . Quint what was the command again they used for Slack Live ? Was it ¨win¨ ??B) Bruno
Bruno,With debian runlevels 2 through 5 are the same, until/unless you manually configure them to be different. With no changes, you start at runlevel 2. This may be the same for other debian based distro's, such as libranet, but I haven't checked.Just giving you a heads up.... :)tranquilo

Kelly, Quint, I changed the last line of my post in a better idea !!:) Bruno
Have made a note of it - thanks, Bruno, you've given us an arsenal. B)

ummm ok - great to see some more info hereafter booting doing the init 5 or init 3(default)I hit !K-bash:kde:command not foundthis same thing keep coming up no matter what !b =blackbox, !w =win, !x =xstart, !s =startxall get the same bash, hmmm guess I could try the tab thing and see what happens

SonicDragon
With Slackware runlevel 4 is the level with X . . . . with all other distro´s its runlevel 5 . . .
That's strange... i wonder why that is...

Is the locate command on the gentoo livecd?  Does "locate -i xfree86" (no quotes) return any results?  locate kde?tranquilo
Hope that works Tranquillo . . he can´t do ¨updatedb¨ on a Live CD . . . . looks like a tricky problem this one !B) Bruno

well I pushed the tab and it will diplay 803 commands, nothing that I can see for a gui - I do believe the locate is on there - guess I will try that next

Hope that works Tranquillo . . he can´t do ¨updatedb¨ on a Live CD . .  . . looks like a tricky problem this one !B) Bruno
Oops... I was sure I meant to use "whereis" and "find".whereis XFree86find / -iname startx;)tranquilo

Well I don't know - I had no luck with whereis, find or locate so I dunno Will try it later, the above commands all work btw

Looks to me there is no X on this CD !Never heard about a Live CD without X . . . very very strange . . :(:D Bruno

Well I am hoping Barry or Quint will have better luck than me. By what I am seeing on the net - it sounds like Gentoo is a tough one to accomplish.

Well I am hoping Barry or Quint will have better luck than me.  By what I am seeing on the net - it sounds like Gentoo is a tough one to accomplish.
Not tough, just time consuming. I would suggest a fast machine for a new install, as it takes time to compile everything.tranquilo

Allright guys, new day new chances . . . Looking on the mirrors for Gentoo there are a lot of different Live CDs ( at least 20 ) these are the main groups: x86 KDE-gnome Live CD x86 Live Basic x86 Live Experimental x86 1.4 RC4 Live CD What version did you guys download ?? The one with UT ? ( the 1st ) Did you get the x86 and not the PPC version ? Are the checksums of the ISO and the one of the CD correct ? Then there is a slight hint in the PPC version that you should run ¨Xeasyconf¨ and choose ¨auto¨ . . . maybe this is the same for the x86 version . . . . That is all I can find, nobody else seems to have these problems . . or nobody has reported them ( more likely !! ) . . . or nobody ever really tried the version you are trying to boot from, and just picked another Live CD :D :) Bruno