2007 Linux Desktop/Client Survey

striker

What does the Linux desktop really need?http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4174

So, if you're interested in seeing Linux succeed on the desktop, drop over and fill out the survey. Tell 'em how you're using desktop Linux now (if you are) and exactly what you need and want on the Linux desktop in 2008. It just takes a few minutes, and you'll be helping the DTL workgroup get set for their planning for 2008.
The actual survey is at the link below (and not at the link provided in the article at the end) :https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/2007ClientSurvey ;)At the end of the survey you'll see ' Survey is Complete' : if you're interested in the results gathered so far, click the link they show on that page to see those results. Interesting ....(But personally I take it with a big grain of salt ;) )

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, striker-I took the survey, and tried to answer thoughtfully, from the perspective of a 'small business owner'/ small office environment, etc. One surprise in the survey results was the very high incidence of Ubuntu-type distros reported in use. It vastly outweighed the few reported Mint and PCLos distros recorded in the survey (those were the other two distros I mentioned personally). That is to show how having a professional marketing/ support organization behind it makes a big difference for Ubuntu, despite how very good PCLos and the others are.

:D That's why I said I was taking those results with a grain of salt. You see ,enterprises and businesses using *buntu based distros ? I doubt that. I think it should be more in the line of SLED, RHEL or maybe Mandriva Corporate Desktop or something like that, with a big support organization behind them also able to offer some training and of course setting up specialized environments regarding enterprise specific applications. So I have a slight feeling the most results of this survey come from people who have not much with a real enterprise to do. :w00t: Or maybe on a very low scale before they even think about integration into the rest of the organization. We do however have members who work in businesses / enterprises, so let's see if these members have any input. Maybe I'm living in the stone age ? Trying to carve an OOo document in clay tablets ? ;) striker Fred Flintsone ? ;)

The only problem with these Linux surveys is that they are probably completed by people already using Linux on a daily basis. Yes, I filled it in too!