DVD burners

longgone

I have decided that since more and more distros are going to DVD install disks .. that it will be to my advantage to finally break down and get a DVD writer/burner/reader/???? ... so the main question is what should I be looking for in this shopping quest ... ????? I don't really think that .. blue ray nor HD has much bearing on this selection ,,, at least I don't think it does .... SO ..... what should I be looking for ?????

Something that is not HD or Bluray.
Ahh yes ... I can see .... the knowledge of twidget experience there ...... Thanks Adam .... so by that I am gonna guess that this DVD -/+ stuff is not going to have any effect on say buring a DVD of MD200?, or any other OS for that matter ...

I installed a NEC and K3b had no trouble (PCLinux) finding it.Personally, I'd avoid Sony - anything but that's just me.http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...=CD-DVD-BurnersI looked here and now it says Sony NEC! Does Sony now own NEC? No, I'm not going to rip out my perfectly good functioning DVD burner.Before I bought, I googled to see about problems. That won't help in linux but it can give you an idea if the drive is reliable. I bought an OEM and knew that it came without a manual and CD. That was fine because I wanted to save money. Before I purchased, I downloaded a manual and also looked and downloaded the latest driver so I was prepared when I got the drive. It proved to be a simple install. Both windows and linux use it.

Edited by zlim

Hello,I would suggest an optical drive which supports DVD±RW dual-layer as well as DVD-RAM media (reading and writing) and uses a PATA interface (unless you only have systems with SATA connectors). I have used drives from LG, Panasonic, Pioneer and Samsung in the past and found they all work well. Plextor used to be good, but it seems they have outsourced some manufacturing to Liteon, as has SONY. You might want to check with web forums like CD Freaks, CDR info or RPC1 and see if they have any specific recommendations or for feedback on a specific model. Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

Yes, DVD RW +/- Dual Layer. Anything but Plextor, HP and Sony should work very well, IMHO. We have had problems with both HP and Sony drives in less than a year here. I talked about the strange/mysterious problems reading some legal movie DVDs with the Sony and some other problems with the HP drives in other places here on the forums awhile back.You can pick DVD RW +/- dual layer drives for the price of a CDRW from about 2 yrs ago. Quite reasonable these days.

Yep, they start at 35 - 37 euros over here, that's the bulk version. No need for for a one years warranty and some piece of bloated writer software. If you need those go for the retail version which also comes in a nice colored throwaway box. :w00t: No need for that either. :D

:hmm: ................Can't do a link (linkless here :w00t: :D ) ... but I can do this for yapricegrabber.com dvd burners dvd+-RW DL internal DVD-ROM/DVD Writerspage 2 item listed NEC AD-7170A Dual Layer dvd+-rw writer .... click on the item and go to the web site and in the listing it has a DVDRWA ... the A has this over the top of it ^ or at least it looks that way ...