Xorg/UUID/Crash

charlie

The crash is been a problem for the last week and a half .. On boot up the error message is in the xorg.conf,now image during normal boot ..Changes in xorg , to nvidia driver , and reboot back to normal... Further checking indicates UUID , this was part of a post back in 2006 http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...197&hl=UUIDmaking changes to the UUID re sda7 and reboot does the same as xorg, reboot.. Have done three reinstalls trying to correct the problem , two on a clean /, /home the third saved /home , hidden file has carried on the error Any ideas what I am looking for , getting a an OS the works is a matter of a quick edit, reboot ... the main problem is still there Charlie

The crash is been a problem for the last week and a half .. On boot up the error message is in the xorg.conf
Hi Charlie hmm can you log in enough to run
# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

and also

# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail

that will display the error messages your having with xorgyou said that your changed your fstab?? what are they now

$ cat  /etc/fstab

when something goes wrong on my system thats the first place i check is the log files and and look for an eror message so i know what is wrong and what needs to be fixed saves me alot of time and trouble ... without it its like looking for a needle in the haystack :whistling:

Bruno , Steel here are the results of cat commands in your posts

harry@desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab# /etc/fstab: static file system information.## <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>proc /proc proc defaults 0 0# /dev/sda5UUID=3520b048-569a-46a6-a42c-9d0d9340913d / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1# /dev/sda6UUID=dd9e5b63-dd36-4602-94b0-add756b510b9 /home ext3 defaults 0 2# /dev/sda1UUID=94C08146C0813012 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1# /dev/sda8UUID=46A5-8C2B /media/sda8 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1# /dev/sda9UUID=46E7-CE76 /media/sda9 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1/dev/sda7 none swap sw 0 0#UUID=facffde6-0801-403f-8b6c-e70325459e09 none swap sw 0 0/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0 harry@desktop:~$
harry@desktop:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER(EE) Failed to load module "wfb" (module does not exist, 0)(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacomharry@desktop:~$
harry@desktop:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tailError opening /dev/input/wacom : Success(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom No such file or directory.Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Success(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeededCould not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, removing from list!Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from list!Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1, removing from list!(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1440x900"harry@deskto
Trust we are going in the correct direction Charlie

Hi CharliePlease make these changes to your /etc/fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.## <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>proc /proc proc defaults 0 0# /dev/sda5/dev/sda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1# /dev/sda6/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2# /dev/sda1/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1# /dev/sda8/dev/sda8 /media/sda8 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1# /dev/sda9/dev/sda9 /media/sda9 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1/dev/sda7 none swap sw 0 0#UUID=facffde6-0801-403f-8b6c-e70325459e09 none swap sw 0 0/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
And next reboot and see if it helped.:P Bruno

Made the changes Bruno , rebooted , did not help ..needed to change sda7 then rebooted .... Is there any way I can avoid the problem or is it just related to the UUID thing Charlie

Is there any way I can avoid the problem or is it just related to the UUID thing
The UUID is often the cause of errors . . . the only way to avoid it is to replace it with the "usual" /dev entries.:blink: Bruno

The UUID is often the cause of errors . . . the only way to avoid it is to replace it with the "usual" /dev entries.B) Bruno
Worked at this for a week , still having problems , can you suggest a debian based distro that will not cause the problem getting tired of the Xorg screen of death Charlie