Does this exist?

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Is there a piece of equipment (like a docking station but not with a laptop) that you have peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor) hooked to that will take a computer tower via some kind of cable to use for diagnosis?I get lots of requests from family to fix or repair their computer and would like a way of doing it in a slick way.tbird

nlinecomputers

I guess I don't follow. You want to install a card with a single cable to power somekind of dock or kvm switch? And you expect to do this on non working hardware or screwed up software? Even a usb device would require a driver and that might not work if Windows was really screwed up.

Like a KVM switch? You have your computer hooked to it. A family member brings just their box over and they hook their box into your KVM. All you hook up are a video cable and USB connector. You then control it with your USB mouse, keyboard and you view it with your monitor.Sound about right?Look for this: IOgear Model# G-CS104 (4 port USB KVM switch) http://www.iogear.comWeb%20Main%20Image.jpg

Yep,KVM is the way to go. You will encounter these mainly in IT departments, especially in the server room. But they are becoming more mainstream as home office workers start accumulating PCs. I have been using one since last summer and can't live without it now. As you said, it's great for fixing friends and family's computers they bring over: just plug the extra cable into their machine, press a button and their computer comes up on your monitor. I bought this Iogear KVM last: yearImage here; loaded this page on dialup and it slows a bit.

As a possible answer to your question, let me describe for you the manner in which I have set up my service benches.Each bench has the following permanently installed with cables strapped into harnesses for convenience and tangle avoidance:

• a keyboard, PS/2 type standard 104-key
  • two (2) PS/2 mouse devices, scroll type (see below for explanation)
  • a serial mouse
  • a set of amplified speakers
  • a monitor

In addition, each cable harness includes

• a standard power cord
  • a phone patch cord to a live phone line
  • a LAN patch cord for network/Internet access

OK -- as I want each service bench to support two PC's, I am sharing the monitor, keyboard, and serial mouse (if used) via early-style mechanical KVM switch boxes. the PS/2 mouse is not run through a switch box, which is why I have two of them on each bench. (I choose to use older purely mechanical KVM switches rather than the newer electronic ones for several reasons, including circuit loading and reliability.) The speakers are also shared through a small homemade A/B switch (schematic/instructions available upon request). There is a Mini-DIN 6 to DIN-5 adapter cable at each position for using the PS/2 keyboard with an AT-style mainboard.Each work position also has some "spare" parts on hand for convenience:

• drive power cable splitter (wye)
  • drive power cable adapter (Molex to AMP)
  • 40-wire two-drive IDE data cable
  • 80-wire IDE data cable
  • FDD data cable
  • 3.5" floppy disk drive
  • 52X CD-ROM reader
  • RTL8039-based PCI NIC
  • WinBond 940-based ISA NIC

These items are often needed when servicing a client's system that isn't quite equipped for ease of service. For example, the NIC's would be temporarily installed for high-speed download of various updates if the system has no NIC. Similarly, the drives and data cables are used as temporary (service) placements as needed. Having these items on hand at all times eliminates the need to hunt for them while in the middle of a job.Of course, the standard tool complement includes all of the normal hand tools that you would expect to find -- screwdrivers (standard, Phillips, and Torx), Allen wrencehes (Standard and Metric), nut drivers (Standard and Metric), miniature pliers (diagonal cutting, needle nose straight, needle nose 90°, and duckbill), wire pliers (cutter/crimper and nipper), hemostat, tweezers, lighted magnifier, toothbrush, and razor knife. Of course, I also have a good DVOM on hand, as well as MicroScope and the MicroScope POST-Probe card and loopback plugs.

Grasshopper

Thanks Peachy and Chris,Peachy (or anyone), is there a performance slowdown going thru a KVM switch? I read the specs but don't have any experience with that hardware so I don't know how to gauge speed, as in any video slowdown. If it's not significant then I think I'm gonna go for it. Ther're not that expensive at all.Chris,I sure like to see your set up! Do you have some pictures? B) I've often thought about some of the very things you mentioned, having a spectrum of cables and parts ready for use like that. My problem has always been space in my "home office". Now that my daughter's computer has moved, I have some room for a workbench and I plan on using it.tbird

B) I use a KVM switch with PS2 ports instead of USB but I don't find any slowdown at all on the four computers hooked up to it.The PS2 switch might be better when fixing other computers as they don't all use USB mice and keyboards.

tbird,there's no slowdown noticeable at all. Some people say that the video quality may be lessened but I can't tell the difference. It really feels like you're operating 4 PCs on your desk without all the clutter.

tbird, I have used a Belkin 4 port KVM for several years. I have noticed no degradation at all. I switch back and forth all the time.I have a gateway computer with XP Pro and ICS for my network and i run Linux on two other computers at the same time. I download files on one, write letters on another, and read Scots Newsletter Forum on another. I don't even have to swivel in my chair. ;) Ken

dock.gifMaybe this is what you had in mind? From the cyberguys catalogue, Windows and Mac compatible, has 2-2.0USB ports PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard, 1-USB uplink port, serial and parallel port, and 10/100 LAN connection.

Grasshopper
For example, the NIC's would be temporarily installed for high-speed download of various updates if the system has no NIC.
I haven't used dial up in years and my modem brain has withered...I have an extra NIC hanging around and wish to do what Chris said. Now, if the computer I'm working on has a modem in it and is configured to be the conduit to the internet...AND I change the settings to allow the NIC to connect to do fast bidness, then will that blow away the modem settings? I'd hate to have to drive two hours to mom's house just put back the modem and dialup settings, which I'd have to rack my brain to remember how to do in the first place.tbird

Hi TBirdCan't you just save the configuration? create a new one for maintenance disabling the modem and installing the NIC? I guess you could possibly keep the maintenance configuration in case you have to work on it in the future. However, I don't know if you can set one as default so the user will not be bothered by the configuration selection on bootup.

RichNRockville

Suggestion from pro: do not use mechanical switchs that some sell. a/b or whatever. :blink: Quoted from:kvmonline for switch MiniView Micro KVM Switch - 2-Port MiniView Micro KVM switch for PS/2 computersIntroducing the two port MiniView™ Micro KVM switch from IOGEAR - simple solution for those with more PCs than hands. Use one keyboard, one mouse and one monitor to control two PC or Macintosh systems.* This self-powered KVM switch features mouse & keyboard emulation to ensure smooth operation, as well as support for Plug-n-Play monitors and most wheel mice. Our patented VSE Video Signal Enhancement® technology provides rich, 32-bit color at resolutions up to 1920 x 1440. With KVM cables molded into the unit, all you need to do is to plug it into your computers, and you’ve got the complete KVM solutions from IOGEAR. * Macintosh support requires IOGEAR’s Mac Adapter.