Slackware 12.0

longgone

Just installed Slackware 12.0 on my second machine, now I need to get it added to the LILO boot mngr ... did the followin ... mcedit /etc/lilo.conf ... but there is nothing there ... so I am really going to start from scratch ...

Hi DalePlease tell us what distro is having it's bootmanager in the MBR, so to what bootmanager we have to add Slackware.B) Bruno

Okay ............ the mngr is from the MD2007.1 install ... it defaults to the XP install but usese MD's boot mngr ...and XP is hda1 and MD is on hda5 with the swap on hda6 and Slackware12 is on hda3 ....

That means your bootloader is Grub and not Lilo . . . . so the file to change is the:/boot/grub/menu.lstJust add these 2 lines to that file and reboot:

title Slackwarekernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=791
B) Bruno

B) :thumbsup: .............That was good ,, it's on the boot mngr now ,, it boots all the way up to the login prompt ,, I log in as root ,, type in startx ... and the monitor gives a quick flash and goes black and stays there ,, so ?????

Hi DaleGlad the Grub entry did work . . . now what you do is this: up at the login prompt you log in as "root" and give the command

# adduser dale

and go through the motions of adding the user and password for "dale"After the user is added you do "Ctrl+D", that will log you out from root, and now you can log in as "dale" . . . . . next try "startx" again and see if it works.If it still does not work you do "su" and type "xorgsetup" to re-configure X . . . once it is reconfigured you do "Ctrl+D" again to log out from "su" and you will be "dale" again, now try "startx" again.B) Bruno

B) .Progress ... I can now get to the desktop but ... it boots up to the prompt I log in type in startx and it brings up the desktop .. it doesn't (as of yet) boot right into the GUI .. pretty much the same in reverse to shut down ... instead of just shutting down .. I have to end the session as "dale" log in as root to shutdown .... ???also, so far have not been able to connect to the web with it ....other than those two items ... it appears to be all there .....

... it boots up to the prompt I log in type in startx and it brings up the desktop .. it doesn't (as of yet) boot right into the GUI .. pretty much the same in reverse to shut down ... instead of just shutting down .. I have to end the session as "dale" log in as root to shutdown .... ???
This is all normal Slackware behavior . . . you have to tweak these things . . . . remember ??Slackware Tips 1 Slackware Tips 2
also, so far have not been able to connect to the web with it ....
Try "netconfig" and set it to DHCPB) Bruno

Oh yeah,,,, I remember that now .... brain fade here .... ;)
B) . . . happens to us all Dale, no problem . . . . ;):w00t: Bruno

B) B) .....Back again with this one ... got the GUI all done up ... but still can't connect to the web ....did "netconfig" as DHCP no luck, tried again as static IP no luck and even went so far as to try it in the loopback mode .... and strike 3 and now I'm way lost .... I did "/etc/resolv.conf" and entered the DNS #s, no luck but they are still there ..... went to "/etc/swaret.conf" but there is nothing there ... probably because I have not d/l'd it yet ... so here is what info I can provide ... the LAN RJ45 connection is onboard the mainboard .. no NIC card involved with this one ... I do have the rtr all connected up and all is good on this machine in XP and MD2007.1 as well as the other machine ... so what is my next step in the attempt to connect to the web .. ????

Hi DaleIf you do "netconfig" with DHCP and you make sure your /etc/resolv.conf is 100% okay . . . . you can do

# /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

And after that your network should be UPB) Bruno

B) B) ..............Bruno,,,,, is good,,,,, that fixed that problem .. now on to the others ... d/l swaret ... do updates and fix the display ... in regard to the display ... I have tried different settings but not getting what I want ... I think this one is going to need the Nvidia driver/s install .. even with the display "maximized" it does not fill the screen ...

Swaret ... seems to be having some issues ... I d/l'd it and tried to do as the tips say but for some reason I can't get it to move from tgz.tar to just tgz .... keeps telling me no such file or directory ....

Swaret ... seems to be having some issues ... I d/l'd it and tried to do as the tips say but for some reason I can't get it to move from tgz.tar to just tgz .... keeps telling me no such file or directory ....
Get swaret from here. There's no .tar to worry about.

B) B) .... Disregard my last comment about Swaret ..... forgot I had to use Konqueror to d/l Swaret and install it ... oopppsssss ...........