Man Spring LiveCD

lewmur

First off, I have Ubuntu 7.04 working with this same hardware, so I doubt seriously it is a hardware problem. However, when I try to get Man Spring to connect, nothing works. I even dropped back and tried the ftp install but even that won't work.It finds the eth0 adapter fine. (I've tried the onboard VIA southbridge, a VIA gigabit and an old standby RTL 8139. All of them work with Win and Ubuntu. But when the ftp install gets to the point where it request a DHCP connection, it sits there for several minutes and then gives an error message saying "no DHCP reply recieved." (When it frist attempts the connection, I get activity on the router led.)So, I think, maybe Man doesn't like something about my new AT&T Westel modem/router. Hook up and old reliable DL-604 and vioala.... still won't connect. BTW, I tried setting a static IP in the router's range, but that doesn't work either. It accepts the settings but won't transfer any data. HELP!!!!

When you have the liveCD booted, what is the result from the command ifconfig (as root)?If eth0 is not showing, then there is some kind of wacky problems ith how the kernel is detecting the ethernet interface.Did you check the md5sum of the ISO before burning?Adam

When you have the liveCD booted, what is the result from the command ifconfig (as root)?If eth0 is not showing, then there is some kind of wacky problems ith how the kernel is detecting the ethernet interface.Did you check the md5sum of the ISO before burning?Adam
The reason for dropping back to the ftp install, was to bypass any such problems. And I tried both the Live CD.iso and the ftp boot.iso. Same results.

The FTP install CD will likely use the same kernel as the liveCD, to avoid any compatibility mismatches between the livdCD and FTP installed versions.I guess that rules out the likeliness of a mis-burned or corrupted download, but still leaves the question if eth0 is even being setup by the kernel, and the output from ifconfig (as root) will tell you that.Adam

Lew, I had the same problem with Spring. Below how I solved it:1] Set your modem/router to DHCP. If you don't, after the install you won't be able to connect to the internet.2] To get the ethernet network going. I deleted the thing completely (MCC), rebooted without network, I then set up a new ethernet network, opted for starting it up at boot of course but not starting it up right now. I then bailed out immediately and rebooted and after that it connects.Hope it works this way for you too. B)

Lew, I had the same problem with Spring. Below how I solved it:1] Set your modem/router to DHCP. If you don't, after the install you won't be able to connect to the internet.2] To get the ethernet network going. I deleted the thing completely (MCC), rebooted without network, I then set up a new ethernet network, opted for starting it up at boot of course but not starting it up right now. I then bailed out immediately and rebooted and after that it connects.Hope it works this way for you too. ;)
Nope. I even went back and installed the AMD 64 version I d/l'd last fall and then remembered why I had abandoned it. Had the same problem. Nothing I do will even get the machine to ping the router. Any router!!!!

Hi Lew . . . would you mind to try PCLos ( Live version ) and see if that behaves better ?? ( I would like to know what modules it loads . . . that is, IF you can connect with PCLos );) Bruno

Hi Lew . . . would you mind to try PCLos ( Live version ) and see if that behaves better ?? ( I would like to know what modules it loads . . . that is, IF you can connect with PCLos );) Bruno
Doesn't work from PCLos either.

In That case Lew, try Slax or VectorLinux ( both Live CDs ) and see if your hardware likes Slackware based distros.See, we all came to the point where we expected Linux distros to work on all kind of hardware these days. But there was a time, only few years ago, where it was very comon to try and see what type of distos would run on your hardwware. For some the Mandrake based distros worked, for some it were the Debian or Slackware based ones.Hardware recognition and support got a lot better over the years . . . but sure there is still a lot to be done.I would say: figure out what distro-types ( Mandriva-, Slackware-, Suse-, Fedora- or Debian-based ) are happy with the hardwware you have and stick to them.As you stated, Ubuntu works, so probably all Debian based distros will do the trick.;) Bruno