A couple of issues in Slack 12.0

SueD

Got Slack 12.0 installed today. As I had anticipated, there were no problems and the install went great. But I seem to have an issue when trying to open the terminal...I get the following error message...

Konsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletyped). It is likely that this is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to have read/write access to the PTY devices.
What's that message mean?Also, I can't open Kopete. I get nothing when I try.There may be other issues but I'll list them here as I find them.

Hi SueDid you create a user and are you logged in as that user ?Do you have a separate /home partition and did you not format it during the install ?:whistling: Bruno

Hi SueDid you create a user and are you logged in as that user ?Do you have a separate /home partition and did you not format it during the install ?:whistling: Bruno
Yup, created a user after first boot with adduser sue. After that, I used your tips to fix my scroll mouse then configured things so I'd be able to boot into the GUI. Afterward, I installed Swaret but didn't manage to do anything further since I had to go out. It was after that I noticed I can't open a terminal.Yes, I've got separate / and /home partitions. And both were formatted during install.

Wait a minute: you say you fixed the scroll mouse then configured things so you'd be able to boot into the GUI. Afterward, you installed Swaret . . . so you had a working terminal before you left . . . . Only when you returned you had problems . . . could it be that you messed up your /etc/inittab or your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and only noticed after reboot when you came back ?Can you still log in as root and use the terminal ?:whistling: Bruno

Wait a minute: you say you fixed the scroll mouse then configured things so you'd be able to boot into the GUI. Afterward, you installed Swaret . . . so you had a working terminal before you left . . . . Only when you returned you had problems . . . could it be that you messed up your /etc/inittab or your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and only noticed after reboot when you came back ?Can you still log in as root and use the terminal ?;) Bruno
Yes, that's exactly what I did.While waiting for your response I rebooted. That may have been a mistake.LOL I'm now on my laptop. You may be right and I may have buggered something up, although I'm always very careful when I do have to configure something. Right now, I've got a row of error messages
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/re.d/rc.4"INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
They are all repeated over and over again.I screwed something up, didn't I. :hysterical:

Looks like the /etc/inittab is screwed up ( probably while setting the runlevel to 4 )It looks like you are facing a re-install . . . . and in the future make backups of the files you edit so you can do an "easy fix" by restoring the backup.:hysterical: Bruno

Ok Bruno, after reinstallation, everything's working perfectly. All I've got to do is add Mandriva to Lilo, but that can wait till tomorrow now. I be happy and may have to look awfully hard to find anything to complain about.:hysterical: