Hard Drive temperature--Errors??;Etc

biday77

I am running two Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB Cache 7200 hard drives. This is on an Athlon 950/Asus A7V MB / 256 MB PC 133/DVD/CDRW system. My OS is Win XP Pro.I use DTemp to monitor my hard drive temperatures. When I start up they register around 20-22 degrees. It is Summer and we live in the TN mountains so no air conditioning. The hard drive temps rise to 34-45 degrees. One hard drive--drive 0 is always 5-9 degrees higher than the other Maxtor HD.I have had some unusual ,for me,errors. When i usually do a CHKDSK the only items found in need of fixing were several System restore folders. Lately in this hot weather CHKDSK also notes 6-12 various system DLLsrequire fixing due to bad clusters.I have very recently done a clean install of XP and everything else. In light of several different errors,ie MP3s playing fine,add some new songs - no sound from any player. I "corrected" this with a Sys Restore or was it shutting down for a while?I have a front fan and an exhaust fan in rear top,along with the other usual fans. I also moved one hard drive away from the other(they were stacked on top of one another.) This made virtually no difference in the hard drive temps. My MB and CPU temps are OK--a bit high but tolerable.In any case any info on hard drive temperatures--errors or failure of drives,etc will be greatly appreciated. I have found some info on the Maxtor site,but not really an answer I feel comfortable with.

You can try installing ventilating/exhaust fans or hard drive coolers. They can be noisy but they can keep your motherboard and drives running at cooler temperatures. Then, if the bad clusters still occur then you'd know the problem lies elsewhere.

Bad clusters are not heat related. If you are getting bad clusters on a regular basis, first thing I would do is back up your data. Your drive is dying. CHKDSK's activity is divided into three major passes, during which CHKDSK examines all the metadata on the volume, and an optional fourth pass.Metadata is "data about data." Metadata is the file system "overhead," so to speak, that keeps track of information about all of the files that are stored on the volume. Metadata includes information about what allocation units make up the data for a given file, what allocation units are free, what allocation units contain bad sectors, and so on. The data that the file contains, on the other hand, is termed "user data." NTFS protects its metadata through the use of a transaction log. User data is not protected in this way. Phase 1: Checking FilesDuring its first pass, CHKDSK displays a message that tells you that CHKDSK is verifying files and also displays the percent of verification that is completed, counting from 0 to 100 percent. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each file record segment in the volume's master file table (MFT). A specific file record segment in the MFT uniquely identifies every file and directory on an NTFS volume. The "percent completed" that CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percentage of the MFT that CHKDSK has verified. During this pass, CHKDSK examines each file record segment for internal consistency and builds two bitmaps, one representing the file record segments that are in use and the other representing the clusters on the volume that are in use. At the end of this phase, CHKDSK has identified the space that is in use and the space that is available, both within the MFT and on the volume as a whole. NTFS keeps track of this information in bitmaps of its own, which are stored on the disk. CHKDSK compares its results with the bitmaps that NTFS keeps. If there are discrepancies, the discrepancies are noted in the CHKDSK output. For example, if a file record segment that was in use is found to be corrupted, the disk clusters that were associated with that file record segment are marked as "available" in the CHKDSK bitmap but are marked as "in use" in the NTFS bitmap. Phase 2: Checking IndexesDuring its second pass, CHKDSK displays a message that tells you that CHKDSK is verifying indexes and again displays the percent completed, counting from 0 to 100 percent. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each of the indexes on the volume.Indexes are essentially NTFS directories. The "percent completed" that CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percentage of the total number of the volume's directories that have been checked. During this pass, CHKDSK examines each directory that is on the volume, checking for internal consistency and verifying that every file and directory that is represented by a file record segment in the MFT is referenced by at least one directory. CHKDSK confirms that every file or subdirectory that is referenced in a directory actually exists as a valid file record segment in the MFT and also checks for circular directory references. Finally, CHKDSK confirms that the time stamps and file size information for the files are up-to-date in the directory listings for those files. At the end of this phase, CHKDSK has made sure that there are no "orphaned" files and that all directory listings are for legitimate files. An orphaned file is a file for which there is a legitimate file record segment but for which there is no listing in any directory. An orphaned file often can be restored to its proper directory if that directory still exists. If the proper directory no longer exists, CHKDSK creates a directory in the root directory and places the file there. If CHKDSK finds directory listings for file record segments that are no longer in use, or for file record segments that are in use but that do not correspond to the file that is listed in the directory, CHKDSK simply removes the directory entry for the file record segment. Phase 3: Checking Security DescriptorsDuring its third pass, CHKDSK displays a message that tells you that CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors and, for the third time, displays "percent completed," counting from 0 to 100 percent. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each security descriptor that is associated with files or directories that are on the volume.Security descriptors contain information about ownership of a file or directory, about NTFS permissions for the file or directory, and about auditing for the file or directory. The "percent completed" that CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percentage of the volume's files and directories that have been checked. CHKDSK verifies that each security descriptor structure is well formed and is internally consistent. CHKDSK does not verify the actual existence of the users or groups that are listed or the appropriateness of the permissions that are granted. Phase 4: Checking SectorsIf the /R switch is in effect, CHKDSK runs a fourth pass to look for bad sectors in the volume's free space. CHKDSK attempts to read every sector on the volume to confirm that the sector is usable. Even without the /R switch, CHKDSK always reads sectors that are associated with metadata. Sectors that are associated with user data are read during earlier phases of CHKDSK if the /R switch is specified. When CHKDSK finds an unreadable sector, NTFS adds the cluster that contains that sector to its list of bad clusters. If the bad cluster is in use, CHKDSK allocates a new cluster to do the job of the bad cluster. If you are using a fault-tolerant disk, NTFS recovers the bad cluster's data and writes the data to the newly allocated cluster. Otherwise, the new cluster is filled with a pattern of 0xFF bytes.If NTFS encounters unreadable sectors during the course of normal operation, NTFS remaps the sectors in the same way that it does when CHKDSK runs. Therefore, using the /R switch is usually not essential. However, using the /R switch is a convenient way to scan the entire volume if you suspect that a disk might have bad sectors. Hard drives usually have bad clusters but they usually do not grow as the hard drive ages. Again back up your data!

Marsden11--Thanks for the detailed explanation about CHKDSK. I saved it for future reference.I have become very religious about backing up. Another possible cause for these errors might be using Perfect Disk 5.0 to defrag my drives. Since I did a clean install of XP and reinstalled PD5 I have been getting an error on opening the program-it fails to connect to the "computer". My attempts to update have also failed--no installation after the download. I guess I'll work on getting another copy of PD.I finally did an offline defrag by reinstalling over the top of PD5 first. Maybe this will fix the CHKDSK DLL errors.Again,thanks.