System Freeze

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,I wonder if the problem might be, in part, to the CPU somehow loosing contact with either its socket or with the heatsink over time, causing it to either eventually crash as the CPU loses good electrical signal contact with the socket or to overheat as the area cooled by the heatsink is reduced.You might want to try using the backplate for the CPU heatsink on the motherboard and see if that makes a difference--make sure it is insulated so that its metal does not come directly in contact with any exposed metal on the rear of the motherboard. It should be coated or otherwise have some sort of insulator, but in case it doesn't you could probably use something non-conductive between them like electrical tape.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
I finally have a happy computer. Here's what I found: Aryeh, you were right. The problem was the CPU. Thermal grease had made its way down to the pins on the CPU. After I cleaned it, reinstalling the fan with just a small amount of grease, I'm working beautifully now.I did everything but check the processor. New hard drive, new memory, new motherboard!