Cat 5

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Ok, here is the situation:I have cable internet access consisting of an external cable modem, to which the cable goes into and a CAT 5 cables comes out of, which then connects to a card in my computer. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but i rarely do any hardware work.... the cable is plugging into a Ethernet card right? I would like to share internet access with my old computer, that doesn't have the needed card in it. So i need a 10/100 Ethernet card like this, right?My other concern is that the computer is very old, 200 MHz. Can it handle an ethernet card? There is room for it, but....Thanks :lol:

Yes a 10/100 Ethernet card is what you need... The card you've shown is what you need (if you've got a local computer store, check there for a cheap one)... The computer will handle it with no problems... My girlfriend's Pentium100 handles cable internet just fine. B)

SonicDragon
Yes a 10/100 Ethernet card is what you need... The card you've shown is what you need (if you've got a local computer store, check there for a cheap one)...The computer will handle it with no problems... My girlfriend's Pentium100 handles cable internet just fine.
Awsome! Finally, a good use for that Amazon gift certificate B)

Sonic,You will have to buy two Ethernet cards. One for the old computer and another one in the computer connected to the modem. The only way it can share it's internet connection is that it needs to have two Ethernet cards; one to the modem, the other to a hub/switch or cross-over cable directly connecting the Ethernet cards. The cheapest solution is the cross-over cable and two Ethernet cards.

SonicDragon

Well, i had thought of the router situation, but, for the amount i'll use the old computer, i'll just unplug the cable from the main pc and plug it into the old one. I realize that both will not have internet at the same time, but the hassel is worth the cost of a router B)

If you can find a couple cheap cards, it's worth sticking a second in your main machine and sharing the connection... It's not too difficult B)

Figure a cheap router is $40 or so and the NIC card is $10. So for $50 you can network them together and have room for 2 more PC's if you want. Just figure out what your time is worth. If you make $20 an hour that gives you 2 1/2 hours to play around with this setup before you are loosing money. KISS is a good motto. Keeping it simple is the key and a cheap router like the all metal Linksys Network Everywhere 4 port model NR041 should do the trick.By the way 10Mbps will work great on that Pentium 200.Chris