Inexpensive Dig Camera

I recently took a roll of film to Walgreens and was told that they did not process roll film.I suppose I will buy a snapshot camera. I intend that it be just that a snapshot camera to take a picture of a fish, scene, family member or friend.I notice that OfficeMax has a Canon PowerShot A550 with a photo printer for 179.99.I also see some Kodaks that are not expensive.Any one with knowledge of those or other inexpensive dig cameras?There is not need to tell me to get an interchangeable lens, dig SLR at several hundred dollars. I just do not want that. It is not a matter of money, just that I do not want something heavy and cumbersome plus that I have so many pictures that I do not intend to take many from now on. I would doubt that I would take 25 per year. The rolls in my cameras are at least 2 years old.What inexpensive dig snapshot camera do some of you recommend? For inexpensive I am thinking in terms of $250 max.BTW it must have a viewfinder.Thanks,Jerry

Edited by JerryM

Maybe it's too cheap or under-configured for your needs, but when I found myself needing a basic digital camera, I found a Vivitar ViviCam 5100 at Wal-Mart for around $80. It has a 4.5 stars out of 5 rating at Amazon and I've found it performs quite nicely. One big plus for me is that it uses SD cards to record to, which is what my PDA uses as well. So I didn't have to buy new media.Specs:5.0 MP Digital Camera 1.5" LCD 4X Digital Zoom Effective Pixels: 5.0 MP Resolution: 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1280X960, 640X480 (format JPEG)Focal Length 7.7mm Shutter Speed 2 sec-1/2000 sec Flash Mode Auto, Flash On, Flash Off, Red-Eye Reduction File Formats: JPEG, EXIF 2.2 & DCF 1.0, 1.0

Grasshopper

My wife and I are real happy with the Powershot cameras. They're in the $300 range which is I think is a good deal for a 5+ MP camera and it also does real well with videos. If you get a big SD card from Newegg, then you're set. They sell 'em cheap.

Thanks, Jeber and Tbird. I appreciate the replies. My needs are very simple; just a point and shoot that will be easy to print on my HP 3210.I am leaning toward the PowerShot A550, as it seems to have the features I need and is 7.1 mp. I read of "stabilization" and while I can see the advantage, I wonder if it is worth another step up in price. I'll just hold steady and follow through.Many thanks.Regards,Jerry

Edited by JerryM

If you mainly want 4x6 prints, you don't need more than 5 mp.I get great shots from an old HP digital that is only 2.1mp. I bought a new camera (Nikon Coolpix L3) at 5mp, only because the HP didn't handle night time photos or poor lighting well. The Nikon has 15 scene modes which I discovered meant the same as changing the shutter spped.Note: I'm not a photographer, I will always be a point and shoot picture taker!

Hi zlim,Thanks for the help. I did not realize that the modes had to do with shutterspeed. When I get one, maybe I should read the "directions." We have boxes of photos and slides, and hope to get around to going through them. Maybe next month. :thumbsup: My primary question now is stabilization a great advantage? I had not thought of it, but as I investigate more I seem to find more things to think about. The Canon PowerShot A 710 looks good if it is not larger than I want.http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default...wershot+A710+ISDo you have the impression that the lack of stabilization has been a handicap for sharp photos in your experience?Of course investigating and shopping are over half the fun. As I have stated, I doubt I will shoot over 25 shots per year, with 50 max. Regards,Jerry

Maybe it's too cheap or under-configured for your needs, but when I found myself needing a basic digital camera, I found a Vivitar ViviCam 5100 at Wal-Mart for around $80. It has a 4.5 stars out of 5 rating at Amazon and I've found it performs quite nicely. One big plus for me is that it uses SD cards to record to, which is what my PDA uses as well. So I didn't have to buy new media.Specs:5.0 MP Digital Camera 1.5" LCD 4X Digital Zoom Effective Pixels: 5.0 MP Resolution: 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1280X960, 640X480 (format JPEG)Focal Length 7.7mm Shutter Speed 2 sec-1/2000 sec Flash Mode Auto, Flash On, Flash Off, Red-Eye Reduction File Formats: JPEG, EXIF 2.2 & DCF 1.0, 1.0
Hi Jeber,I do not know enough to understand SD cards or PDA. I have a HP 3210 printer, and I assumed that any media would fit one of the ports and print. Is that incorrect?What other methods are used instead of SD cards?Is there a site that explains the various media or "film" for dig cameras?I know so little that I can hardly ask questions. :) Thanks,Jerry

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/DigPhotog/start/index.htmlA great getting started guide for you. It is slightly out of date though. Most chain stores now do the digital printing on site and in under one hour. You've already run into that. The other thing where he talks about buying a bigger memory card..... the 1GB cards are going to be in the sweet spot for price right now. You will not save much by going down to 512MB, and you will end up with twice the space. ;)If you want to do some research, http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com are great sites. DPreview is going to be much more in depth than DCresource.If you'd like a recommendation, I just bought a Canon Power Shot SD800. It costs more than what I think you would like to spend but it also has some really great features. It has a wider angle lens than most and has optical image stabilization, making much nicer shots in low light (the digital camera's Achilles' heel).Adam

Jerry, you're asking the wrong person about stabilization. I don't know if my cameras have it or lack it, LOL. As I said, I'm a point and click gal - not a photographer. I haven't noticed blurry pictures. In fact, the digital pictures seem better than the ones taken with a film camera.As far as media...my first camera uses SD cards (secure digital) so I wanted to be sure that the next camera I got used the same thing because I have a card reader (free after rebate) that connects to a USB port and I didn't want to have to buy another card reader. My printers are old - none of the slots where you put the media in and it prints pictures. I put the SD card into the reader. The pictures (in jpeg) are shown in Explorer, I open what I want in Irfan and do a bit of down sizing (I take pictures at the highest setting) and then print on regular paper, usually. I do have photo paper and I use that on occasion. Whatever media you get, purchase a card reader - it is easier than connecting the camera to the computer. I've done it both ways but I prefer a card reader.This past week, I saw something that I had to have. ativacardreader.gifat Office Depot. Basically, it is a card reader but it can also be used as a flash drive. (Recycle older camera cards if the size is too small).About the only drawback with the older HP camera is that the manual says, the maximum card the camera will accept is 128MB. Ouch. My husband and I were all over - 128MB cards just aren't being made any more. I emailed HP tech support and they pointed me to a link on site that the camera I have has been tested with 256MB cards. I have two and I may buy a few more before these become impossible to purchase. I don't want to let the camera sit idle just because it is older; it takes great daylight pictures.As Adam said, buy a big card.

Edited by zlim

Stabilization is worthwhile if, like some of us, you're getting older and your hands aren't as steady as they used to be, or if you think you might be taking pictures from a moving platform (car, roller coaster, etc.). Otherwise, save the money and invest in an inexpensive tripod. They have small ones you can use to set the camera on a car hood or table.Also, if you plan on doing a lot of close shots, stabilization may be worth the expense. Long shots don't suffer from camera movement near as much as close-ups.

Grasshopper

The best way to learn about how to use the features on the camera is actually use them. Either borrow a camera from someone you know or visualize it at the store. You can't really be told how to use them, especially if all you've ever used is a film camera.

Thanks very much each of you for the help. I am looking hard at the Canon A710, but when I get to the store I might choose a smaller camera like the smaller Canon series.Adam, Thanks for the links, I have learned a bit in the last couple of days, but still have a long ways to go.Liz,The card reader sounds like a great advantage, and I will plan to get one. OK the big card. I appreciate the advice, and info.Jeber,Old and shaky?? At 75 in Aug, I do seem to be less steady than in the past. I also seem to have lost strength, even though I tell the guys at the gym that when I was their age I could do twice what they are doing, and then admit that isn’t true. I did not have a gym at their age.I do also tell them that if they work hard, take care of themselves, eat well, and live clean lives that someday they will look just like me. What a blessing? I am expecting one of them to faint any time.I think the stabilization might be the way to go. Although the Canon A710 is slightly more than I started out to pay, it might be the best choice for me. When I looked at the horse and rider in this review there was a great difference, but it may have been more hype.http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default...wershot+A710+ISAgain, thanks to each of you for helping me. When I get one, I will let you know how I like it after I get a chance to use it.This is a great forum. I posted in a digi camera forum, and no one even replied. Whatever the question I ask here I always get help. Many thanks.Best regards,Jerry

The best way to learn about how to use the features on the camera is actually use them. Either borrow a camera from someone you know or visualize it at the store. You can't really be told how to use them, especially if all you've ever used is a film camera.
Hi tbird, Thanks, and that is good advice. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one and uses it. They still know almost zero. My children do not live close, but I think I can get some good idea as I look and ask questions. Sometimes, the clerks in the stores know less than most customers. Of course, that isn't their fault as there is such a wide range of items it would take many years to learn them, and then they would be obsolete.Thanks, and have a good day.Jerry

Liz,The card reader sounds like a great advantage, and I will plan to get one. OK the big card. I appreciate the advice, and info.
Another option too...... A SD card that does not rquire a card reader!http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_image...1/202587621.jpgI have one of these bad boys.... and it is the coolest, most convenient thing out there for digital cameras. It works exactly like a USB drive when the cover is open, and like an SD card when closed.A 1GB unit should run about 30 dollars or so.Adam

Adam, that looks cool but I'm not sure that I can use that type in my cameras. It's hard enough trying to find the 256MB SD cards for the old camera. My newer camera, just one year old, olny says that it accepts up to 1GB regular SD or high speed cards. The cards change faster than the cameras! I may need to email Nikon and ask if they tested any of the newer cards in the camera.

It is a perfectly normal SD card which simply has the dual functionality. I have used it in many devices, and none have given me any problems.Now there is a new form of SD, called SDHC, which supports higher speeds and higher capacity. The card I detailed above is a plain SD card, not SDHC.In reality, though, any device that can read an SD card should be able to read any SD card. Any SDHC slot should be able to read every SD or SDHC card on the planet.Adam

I have a 256MB SD card that I can't use in my older HP. I've changed batteries, formatted the card (in the camera, not formatting from within windows) changed the camera settings to best and better and the pictures just don't get. They are blocky. I have come to the conclusion that the camera can't use that brand of SD card. If you have any ideas what I need to do to get the card usable, I'm willing to try it.

Well, if the camera refuses to read the card properly, then it is clearly not using the proper specification for SD cards. Any SD card should be able to be read by any SD card slot. As long as the card is working in another device (or three), then it should be fine, and the camera should be blamed for the problem.Adam